Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know if I were fighting for an album I put my heart and soul into, SER and FiDo would be the exact spokespeople I would pick to plead my case.

*whistle* "Come here, SER! Come here, Fido!"

I think he should make it a live album with ALAIN singing the backing vocals since he actually sounds so much better than Miley. Seriously, who is not overjoyed that Alain and M are back together?
I do believe Miley is still the sticking point.

This is too bad. After hearing songs from BOT live, I was really looking forward to the release of this album. Of the songs I`ve already heard I felt that they are really excellent songs and it`s a shame the album won`t be released anytime soon.

Moz recorded BOT himself didn't he? And then he sold the recordings to Capitol? In that case he may have retained copyright of the material. He would have the option to sign over copyright ownership to Capitol (if he did he is crazy) - or retain copyright ownership himself and simply grant Capitol a licence to exploit the recordings. If he retained copyright of the songs then he could do as you suggested.

Since Sanctuary, Moz has self-financed all recordings and owns the copyright to those recordings. What likely happened here, is that Capitol licensed the recordings for a specific period of time and Moz is locked behind the contract that he himself signed. While I admittingly can't say for certain, the idea that Moz would then sign away the ownership to those recordings are to me, slim to none.

So from here, he likely refused to redo Veronica, the album is botched, and thus.

I have been following Moz for long enough to ignore all of the hubris and recognize that it's either going to leak, or eventually get relicensed somewhere else once the contract expires -- much like he's been trying to do for World Peace since he ditched Harvest.

If captitol really did you dirty Moz just leak it and move on. Wouldn't that be the ultimate middle finger? It isn't like not being on streaming is new to his back catalog.

Of course, there's no self-reflection on whether his own actions in any way contributed to this outcome.
Is there ever? I believe that the relationship was over the moment he walked out on the Greek show in LA. You know that several Capital reps were there, and they probably left feeling angry and embarrassed. Not a great way to start a business partnering. I honestly can’t believe that either Moz or Capital ever agreed to work together after the whole World Peace fiasco!

I noticed Arianna Grande is signed to Universal Music Group. I wonder if they bought the rights to the album, after learning the title track contents, to prevent it from ever being released.

I think he should make it a live album with ALAIN singing the backing vocals since he actually sounds so much better than Miley. Seriously, who is not overjoyed that Alain and M are back together?
I do believe Miley is still the sticking point.

Alain AND Gustavo! I think the album being recorded now will sound great vocally, and hopefully with Alain's songs on board Morrissey can have a stronger 'identity' to his own style of music again. I love V&I, Boxers single, SG 'Morrissey Sound', and Alain's voice (and songs) were a huge part of all of it. Maybe we can get another concept album (like SG) with some long, unique tracks, and get away from the very lighter-side stuff, like Rebels, Knockabout, etc.

Absolutely yes, Alain being back in the band really makes me happy!

They don't have to go the Southpaw route to make me happy either. They could expand on the interesting '1970s alt-country-rock' trend started with Forgive Someone, Smiler With Knife, When You Open Your Legs.

Just give the album a consistent sound.

Alain AND Gustavo! I think the album being recorded now will sound great vocally, and hopefully with Alain's songs on board Morrissey can have a stronger 'identity' to his own style of music again. I love V&I, Boxers single, SG 'Morrissey Sound', and Alain's voice (and songs) were a huge part of all of it. Maybe we can get another concept album (like SG) with some long, unique tracks, and get away from the very lighter-side stuff, like Rebels, Knockabout, etc.

Absolutely yes, Alain being back in the band really makes me happy!
I only like specific periods of Morrissey's career, like Smiths and early solo, but there's something for everyone here. Alain is truly one of his best collaborators so I look forward to seeing what they do next.

Morrissey has a long history of ditching managers, many supposedly for no reason whatsoever, perhaps its time to get rid of one that lets him sign to a company without guarantees of a release of his work?

Ridiculous, avoidable turn of events that harms the constituency that still cares about Morrissey - his recording buying fans.

His ‘best album to date’ handed over to bogus music moguls - and yet how could something so careless take place?

I’ve been hyped for this project for the last two years and now it’s never coming out, apparently.

My enthusiasm has only got me into trouble with this one.
Morrissey has said that all albums he recorded "are best to date", yet that hasn't been true since Vauxhall, although Dog on Chain was best in years.

I don't believe that's the reason the album is being held back at all. There are legal discussions going on between Miley's record company and Capitol, over the use of her vocals on the album. Miley's record company wants a cut because her 'work' is contracted to them. Capitol are holding out and trying to figure out what to do with the recording and any physical copies that may have been pressed. It's simply about money.

I also think this is the primary reason that Rebels was released as lead-off single instead of Veronica.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom