‘The Secret of Music’ is the worst Morrissey song I’ve ever heard

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Sweetie Pie on the album is awful, the other mix is one of my favourite songs, though

uuhh, this

I actually don't mind the version on Swords, the weird atmospherics do add to the tragedy, an otherworldly feeling if you like and a heartbreaker for sure. This version which I have heard before is magnificent and would have made the song more accessible to fans and its baffling to think it's never been officially released. It's a lost classic.

There's no such thing as a bad Morrissey song, except that thing he recorded with the singer of Green day....
All the other ones: marvelous.

TSOM is starting to grow on me a bit. Especially when I’m driving.

I think Truth About Ruth (this album's In Your Lap) and The Secret Of Music are this album's true miscalculations, especially when placed back to back. They truly botch up the landing, despite Hurling Days (this album's Oboe Concerto) being an okay closer and drop this album's personal rating from 8/10 to 7/10.

I wonder if there are any leftover tracks from these sessions. When this album was first mentioned in the SER interview a year ago it was said to be a 12-track album. Was that just an error or there still at least one unreleased track out there? If there isn't, it might be a long wait for the next new Morrissey song.

Defo a similar sound to the song Maladjusted in The Secret Of Music, certainly in the vocal delivery.

For me, a Morrissey album can range from too many disappointing tracks and no great ones (e.g. Maladjusted) to barely any disappointing tracks, with some real corkers (e.g. Vauxhall and I).

INADOAC is closer to the latter imo. Of course there are weaker tracks on the album, but as someone said earlier, I can find value in every one of the tracks (n.b. even the Secret of Music and the Truth about Ruth) and there are some crackers that I'd put in my favourite Morrissey top 30 songs. It's so subjective though because some Mozza fans will think the opposite, as this thread/forum constantly shows.

The two weakest tracks on the album for me are 'Darling I Hug a Pillow' and 'The Truth About Ruth'. Neither of them are bad, they just don't really go anywhere.The latter also sounds waaaaay too similar to 'In Your Lap'.

I think Truth About Ruth (this album's In Your Lap) and The Secret Of Music are this album's true miscalculations, especially when placed back to back. They truly botch up the landing, despite Hurling Days (this album's Oboe Concerto) being an okay closer and drop this album's personal rating from 8/10 to 7/10.

I wonder if there are any leftover tracks from these sessions. When this album was first mentioned in the SER interview a year ago it was said to be a 12-track album. Was that just an error or there still at least one unreleased track out there? If there isn't, it might be a long wait for the next new Morrissey song.
there will definitely be more to come from these sessions,im sure fwd will at some point do a bit of detective work and see what he can find.

there will definitely be more to come from these sessions,im sure fwd will at some point do a bit of detective work and see what he can find.

This was recorded pretty much back-to-back with California Son, so I'm not sure there is the normal surplus amount of material with these sessions.

This was recorded pretty much back-to-back with California Son, so I'm not sure there is the normal surplus amount of material with these sessions.
we also have love affairs rainbow valley to appear at some point as well.

we also have love affairs rainbow valley to appear at some point as well.

Which makes me think he may release a single for the tour.

Maybe Jim Jim as the a/side. Love the chorus on that one.

Back
Top Bottom