‘FIRST THOUGHT, BEST THOUGHT’

His ex-business partner and his mother.

Sorry, who is the ex- business partner that would interfere or dictate the way he writes?

And I doubt he was giving his lyrics to his mother to check, edit and get her over all approval, before recording them.

And I doubt he was giving his lyrics to his mother to check, edit and get her over all approval, before recording them.
That sounds like something Norman Bates would do, if he was a singer.

Not read the Severed Alliance then?

Once when it was released. No I don’t remember what it said about Morrissey’s ex-business partner or his mother in regards to his lyric writing. And how much should we believe of it? But since you brought it up…

Your royalties bring you luxuries...

and so with it, laziness.

For me, I started noticing the repetition on Southpaw where he tried to sell a version of himself as an East End hard man, which was rightly mocked in the press.

It was almost as if only sissies write poetry. me is a tough guy, me like boxing, me have skinhead mates that will shank you. etc

Then he delivered '...I want to start from before the beginning...' and it seemed he still had a lyric in him.

On Quarry, Ringpiece and even Refusal, he still had a lyric in him.

World Peace had 'I'm Not A Man'

Low in High School had 'I Bury The Lyric'

Dog had 'Once I Saw The River Clean'

So he can still write a storyteller lyric but a lot of his subtlety has been lost because 'no-one's around to say no' anymore.

Who said ‘no’ to him before ?

His ex-business partner and his mother.

So who was the ex-business partner then that told Morrissey what he can and can’t write ?

And what did Mr Rogan say about Morrissey’s mother dictating the way he writes his lyrics?

Read that book a bit back. I think Johnny Marr questioned Headmaster Ritual, Stephen Street questioned whether Interesting Drug should've stayed as it was and had a go at him for writing on narrow subjects. His mum had an issue with Suffer Little Children didn't she? Felt he shouldn't be giving oxygen to the killers names or something.

Maybe he got a lot of pushback and that's why they don't work with him no more.

Read that book a bit back. I think Johnny Marr questioned Headmaster Ritual, Stephen Street questioned whether Interesting Drug should've stayed as it was and had a go at him for writing on narrow subjects. His mum had an issue with Suffer Little Children didn't she? Felt he shouldn't be giving oxygen to the killers names or something.

Maybe he got a lot of pushback and that's why they don't work with him no more.

Yes, but IF true, it didn’t at the time ( where some here would say he was writing his best)
change the way he wrote.

Meaning, that the way he wrote then and the way he writes now, does not seem to be affected by or the result of an external force. No one’s policing him, no one close to him ( as far as we know) said ‘no’ to him then or now.

No, maybe not, but it reads like he had people actually pushing back against him back then.

Back
Top Bottom