‘California Son’ is Morrissey’s best album since ‘You Are the Quarry’

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1074

This album is f***ing great. I’m so happy to see how incredible Morrissey can still be when he isn’t writing his own lyrics and his band isn’t writing shitty backing music. He sounds alive again. He should just do covers from now on like Tom Jones. :tongueout:

Best of the Chiccarelli productions, in your opinion?

Absolutely! This album was worth it alone just for “Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets”. They mentioned Morrissey wanted to have fun with this album and you can tell he most definitely is.

It’s not Morrissey’s album tho, is it. Doesn’t qualify for me. Glad you like it tho, actually had to read your post twice to figure out if you were taking the piss. Seems honest enough tho.

It’s not Morrissey’s album tho, is it. Doesn’t qualify for me. Glad you like it tho, actually had to read your post twice to figure out if you were taking the piss. Seems honest enough tho.

That’s like saying “September of My Years” isn’t a Sinatra album because he didn’t author the songs...

That’s like saying “September of My Years” isn’t a Sinatra album because he didn’t author the songs...

Or Elvis didn't do nothing because Elvis is not an author of his songs...
This IS Morrissey album.
Fantastic album.

Just listened to it all the way through, twice. Not my cup of tea.
Voice sounds great, but the songs just don't really do it for me.

Or Elvis didn't do nothing because Elvis is not an author of his songs...
This IS Morrissey album.
Fantastic album.

I don’t care what comparisons you wanna draw, this does not belong along side his previous 11 solo LPs. Find another category to stick it in.

We waited many years for a Morrissey album we can honestly say we enjoy as a whole.
I know I have, and I know several others have too.
I believe fans will be almost unanimous in their praise for this album, and many casual listeners will like it too.
Not sure it's his best since Quarry, certainly his best since Refusal (in my opinion).
Well done Moz.

Yes indeed! It truly is a remarkable album! My rating of each song is as follows:

1. Morning Starship 10/10 - Fantastic cover! Great opener, very strong vocals
2. Don't Interrupt the Sorrow 9/10 - Very true to the original and every bit as beautiful
3. Only a Pawn in Their Game 8/10 - Interesting rendition... Love the classic military-esque thumping that follows throughout
4. Suffer the Little Children 8.5/10 - Great instrumentation on this one and good usage of isolated vocals... "Did you think he was a boogeyman?"
5. Days of Decision 10/10 - Such a hopeful atmosphere with a great vocal delivery! Love his phrasing and especially his little hum mid-way through
6. It's Over 10/10 - Powerful vocals are the track's lead... from both Moz and LP
7. Wedding Bell Blues 10/10 - So catchy and so much fun, love the falsetto outro
8. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets 10/10 - Very true to the original, Moz's vocal is dream-like and high notes are very complimentary
9. Lady Willpower 8/10 - Busting and catchy! Least favourite song on the album, but still full of lively energy and flamboyant instrumentation
10. When You Close Your Eyes 8/10 - A very beautiful meditation with an instrumental outro that will drag you away into a dream
11. Lenny's Tune 10/10 - A lovely little surprise! Love the grainy production and eerie atmosphere! Very sad and emotional, reminds me of 'Asleep'
12. Some Say I Got Devil 9.5/10 - Fantastic finale with a very unique musical rendition... Very strategically chosen last words, "I know I'm not in danger"

Last edited:
Yes indeed! It truly is a remarkable album! My rating of each song is as follows:

1. Morning Starship 10/10 - Fantastic cover! Great opener, very strong vocals
2. Don't Interrupt the Sorrow 9/10 - Very true to the original and every bit as beautiful
3. Only a Pawn in Their Game 8/10 - Interesting rendition... Love the classic military-esque thumping that follows throughout
4. Suffer the Little Children 8.5/10 - Great instrumentation on this one and good usage of highlighted vocals... "Did you think he was a boogeyman?"
5. Days of Decision 10/10 - Such a hopeful atmosphere with a great vocal delivery! Love his phrasing and especially his little hum mid-way through
6. It's Over 10/10 - Powerful vocals are the track's lead... from both Moz and LP
7. Wedding Bell Blues 10/10 - So catchy and so much fun, love the falsetto outro
8. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets 10/10 - Very true to the original, Moz's vocal is dream-like and high notes are very complimentary
9. Lady Willpower 8/10 - Busting and catchy! Least favourite song on the album, but still full of lively energy and flamboyant instrumentation
10. When You Close Your Eyes 8/10 - A very beautiful meditation with an instrumental outro that will drag you away into a dream
11. Lenny's Tune 10/10 - A lovely little surprise! Love the grainy production and atmosphere! Very sad and emotional, reminds me of 'Asleep'
12. Some Say I Got Devil 9.5/10 - Fantastic finale with a very unique musical rendition... Very strategically placed last words, "I know I'm not in danger"

This is where people like you lose me, 10/10’s across the board? Really? Wedding Bell Blues 10?
I ain’t mad tho, I’m glad people are taking to it. But it’s not for me.

This is where people like you lose me, 10/10’s across the board? Really? Wedding Bell Blues 10?
I ain’t mad tho, I’m glad people are taking to it. But it’s not for me.
Yeah it may not be for everyone. For me, though, I've already went through the album twice and it's quite the blast of sunlight on this gloomy day :)

Just listened to it all the way through, twice. Not my cup of tea.
Voice sounds great, but the songs just don't really do it for me.

Agreed, the vocals are never in question. But I ain’t fussed about hearing him cover other artists songs. His songwriting and lyricism are what got me involved in the first place, take that away and there’s not much meat left on the bones.

Agreed, the vocals are never in question. But I ain’t fussed about hearing him cover other artists songs. His songwriting and lyricism are what got me involved in the first place, take that away and there’s not much meat left on the bones.

Wow, the exclamation mark has convinced me! :thumb:

If you're not gonna like it, you're not gonna like it. I don't think anyone's trying to convince you here.

Don’t Interrupt.. is a standout. Knew his voice would be great, wasn’t quite prepared for the gorgeous instrumentation and production. Very subtle, especially compared with the same team that made LIHS.

Many of Morrisseys finest hours have been plagiarised from others, many different sources. This album is no different, we just know for sure where they're from. Love it, and I agree his best in at least a decade.

Back
Top Bottom