Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Morrissey I hear today is not the Morrissey I heard in the 80'/90's. He was charming and witty, nowadays he does nothing but moan about everything.
That's a bit unfair tbh. You & I are probably nothing like the person we were 30 or 40 years ago, & it's not right to expect Moz to be like he was all those years ago. Time, life, & ageing, takes its toll on people; it changes people, and not always for the better. You never heard of Victor Meldrew?
Oh time, no friend of mine.

Morrissey does himself no favours having SER write all these things. I feel like SER is a bit like Fiona where they're desperate to always paint Morrissey as a big victim, even if he is the victim, people don't like hearing too much of that and I don't know, it just doesn't come off well.

BUT, its also a really dick move on behalf of Capital to be like "we aren't releasing this, but you also cant have it back". Like, that feels petty and also just reeks of unethical practices, even if it is legal. Honestly what it really reeks of is "maybe we can hold onto this until Morrissey dies and then pass it off as 'releasing the lost Morrissey album'!" for marketing or some shit.

That's a bit unfair tbh. You & I are probably nothing like the person we were 30 or 40 years ago, & it's not right to expect Moz to be like he was all those years ago. Time, life, & ageing, takes its toll on people; it changes people, and not always for the better. You never heard of Victor Meldrew?
Oh time, no friend of mine.

I was responding to Thewlis's note where she said - Well, I think if anything Morrissey still is Morrissey, as he’s always been. I don't thing he's anything like he used to be.

Morrissey does himself no favours having SER write all these things. I feel like SER is a bit like Fiona where they're desperate to always paint Morrissey as a big victim, even if he is the victim, people don't like hearing too much of that and I don't know, it just doesn't come off well.

BUT, its also a really dick move on behalf of Capital to be like "we aren't releasing this, but you also cant have it back". Like, that feels petty and also just reeks of unethical practices, even if it is legal. Honestly what it really reeks of is "maybe we can hold onto this until Morrissey dies and then pass it off as 'releasing the lost Morrissey album'!" for marketing or some shit.

We only have Morrissey and his cronies version of events though. Capitol have never even confirmed they signed him in the first place.

I was responding to Thewlis's note where she said - Well, I think if anything Morrissey still is Morrissey, as he’s always been. I don't thing he's anything like he used to be.
Yet, you still cling, and go to his shows.
So he must do something right ;)

But honestly if you look back to the mid 90s and the court case and the ill-fated Bowie tour, he was bitter and always complaining then. Maybe you didn’t see it because you were a lot younger, but he was.

They called him the Pope of Mope for a reason :)

OK, I see, but @Thewlis said:
Well, I think if anything Morrissey still is Morrissey, as he’s always been.
He’s always been difficult to work with, and he will remain so, whether you like it or not.
which I do agree with. The context here from @Thewlis is in relation to Morrissey being difficult to work with, as far as I could make out.

You, however, appeared to change the context in your post saying "The Morrissey I hear today is not the Morrissey I heard in the 80'/90's. He was charming and witty, nowadays he does nothing but moan about everything."...which is something quite different altogether.

Yet, you still cling, and go to his shows.
So he must do something right ;)

But honestly if you look back to the mid 90s and the court case and the ill-fated Bowie tour, he was bitter and always complaining then. Maybe you didn’t see it because you were a lot younger, but he was.

They called him the Pope of Mope for a reason :)

I don't cling to anything. I go to loads of artists shows due to liking their music, it doesn't mean I like the person.

OK, I see, but @Thewlis said:

which I do agree with. The context here from @Thewlis is in relation to Morrissey being difficult to work with, as far as I could make out.

You, however, appeared to change the context in your post saying "The Morrissey I hear today is not the Morrissey I heard in the 80'/90's. He was charming and witty, nowadays he does nothing but moan about everything."...which is something quite different altogether.

A few people talk about Morrissey being Morrissey and being difficult to work with. Do you think Morrissey himself sees it that way?

The good news is we can all go through this again in a few months when he has recorded another album that no label will release.

Had there ever been an artist as poorly managed or advised over the years as Morrissey ?

I think it would be more accurate to ask if any artist has as poorly engaged with their management and record labels as Morrissey.

I don't managers and record labels have formed contractual relationships with him in order to waste each others time/money.

What I suspect is happening nowadays in the music business, where so many artists have complained about the difficulty of making a living, is that older artists who are still creating and craving the attention of an audience are essentially self-financing, like it's a vanity project or hobby. I read last year that Chrissie Hynde said her last UK tour was enjoyable but lost money, so I assumed The Pretenders would stop touring if that was the case, but no, the touring goes on. Whilst it's tempting to look at, say, Ozzy Osbourne's recent chart and Grammy success, using the same producer and some of the same musicians as Bonfire, do we know how much money he made from it or had to invest to secure television appearances and such like to promote his album?

Well, Iggy was/is on the new Morrissey album.
What makes you think Morrissey has had less success in the past 40 years than Cave, Iggy or Scott? I think he’s had more.

For 25 years, since this website started, there has been a small amount of users claiming he ‘lost’ it, yet since then he’s released album after album and done tour after tour.

He definitely ís playing the game, but to his own rules.
Whats the score? Is he winning?

Probably his best album in years and we can't even hear it. I'm so tired of all the *** drama, just give me the music for God's sake.

Hold on, isn't diversity a bad thing? Now Mozzballs is moaning that he's too diverse.

Morrissey, receiving an envelope from little SER in early 1988, allegedly containing a detailed list of demands. Among other things, it is said to contain the wish to secretly manage the uncle himself (or/and together with FIDO) later on and thus increase his fame.

https://gfycat.com/elatedaggressivejoey

Last edited:
Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom