Peter Hook was interviewed by Einav Schiff for Israeli news portal Walla! and shared his thoughts on Morrissey.
Link to original interview (in Hebrew) - e.walla.co.il.
My rough translation of the Morrissey-related parts:
ES: There were other musicians in Manchester that weren't part of your scene, that you didn't really like. Morrissey, for example.
PH: Morrissey is just a very difficult person. Being in a band is a very competitive thing and you always fight for your place against a rival band. And as New Order, the Smiths were our biggest rivals. I do admire his talent and you must be stupid to think that he's not a great musician, but he's simply a jerk and he says that I'm a jerk, so we're in agreement.
ES: What do you think that he thought about Ian Curtis?
PH: Ian inspired him, I'm sure of that. Rob Gretton, may he rest in peace, told me that Morrissey was jealous of Ian.
ES: For his talent?
PH: No. Morrissey was jealous of Ian because he didn't have the guts to kill himself like Ian did.
- The Smiths full debut on iTunes US Store (14)
- London tuition protester wearing Smiths shirt - photo (84)
- Morrissey/Marr #2 in "MSN Essentials: Top 10 greatest songwriting teams in rock" (9)
- Polari is dying? (12)
- Nicky Wire says Morrissey changed his life (5)
- "Morrissey" sings Frosty the Snowman (15)