Of course they should rank higher, but it's good to see some recognition
Something Is Squeezing My Skull #93 - Pitchfork "Top 100 Tracks of 2009":
"After Morrissey's onstage collapse and subsequent pegging by a drink-hurling fan, Years of Refusal's muscular, defiant opener, with its worries about the star's health, feels like its most striking accomplishment. For such an aggressively upbeat glam-rock tune, the theme is melodramatically bleak-- and, to British pop fans, probably doubly familiar: Modern life is loveless. Worth it just to hear Moz list meds and then breathlessly repeat, "Don't give me anymore," at the song's conclusion. Oh, Mother, he can feel the soil falling over his head. --Marc Hogan"
"MORRISSEY GETS ALL NSFW WITH IT" -Pitchfork "Year in News 2009 - January":
"For the inside sleeve to the "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" 7", Morrissey and his band decided to disrobe and stick records over their private areas. We're still not sure how those records are staying in place..."
"HEAVEN KNOWS MORRISSEY'S MISERABLE NOW" - Pitchfork "Year in News 2009 - October":
"Woe is Morrissey. The Pope of Mope is having a particularly stressful autumn. On October 24, he collapsed onstage mid-song at a performance in Swindon, England and was rushed to the hospital. He was discharged the next day, but canceled his next gig. At his first show back after the scare, he joked, "The doctor said I shouldn't smile. I told him, 'I don't'." Then, on November 7, a performance in Liverpool was cut short when an audience member threw a drink at Morrissey's head, prompting him to abruptly leave the stage. Obviously the culprit wasn't aware of the man's fragile emotional state."
- "Irish Blood, English Heart" #98 in NME "100 Tracks of the Decade" (19)
- You Are The Quarry #12 in NME "A decade in music 50 best albums of 2004" (23)
- NME feature Morrissey in "2009 - the year in music" lists (19)
- 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" 8th best song of 2009 at German Online Magazine (5)
- Richard Ashcroft from The Verve on Morrissey Liverpool incident (61)
- Morrissey / Smiths in the media (3)
- Sweet and Tender Hooligans in San Diego CA (Dec. 31), Hollywood CA (Jan. 1) (2)
- Rare Hatful Of Hollow cassette story in Record Collector (Jan. 2010) (38)
- Lady Gaga picks Years Of Refusal as Album Of The Year 2009 (49)
- Morrissey makes #16 at Recordstore.co.uk top 50 albums sold this year! (2)
- YOR 19th Best Album at German online magazine (9)
- MSN ranks YOR cover among its top album covers of the year (2)
- Morrissey vulgar Christmas sweater at vivamoz.com (9)