Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1988 full video posted at smithstorrents.co.uk

According to a fanzine Smiths Indeed, it was announced on 19th during BBC Radio 1 John Peel.

I found out on 21st when I arrived Edinburgh from Dundee.

My goodness - we might of passed each other without knowing!
And there was me moaning in the bootlegs section ;)
I think, besides his possible homelife scandal, Mr. Peel could not have been a better advocate.
So it was as I remember - short notice. I will forgive any musician a bum note in that case.
I drove there in a clapped out morris marina (battle bus!) and found Wolverhampton grey but the atmosphere....lord...
It almost topped me meeting (what old people used to call stalking!) him in Bath.
If anyone in the queue was offered an 'Ask' cassette single for sale - it was me! Wanted beer and petrol money and knew I'd sell it as it was rare.
My friend probably sold a few of u a tshirt also.
Used to sell them out the back of the NME and they were better quality than anything I've seen since.
We both then smuggled a sony walkman pro and mic down our cod pieces to get through the rather overzealous searches.
One of the recordings came from here and was on vinyl a couple of days later.
I'm glad we didn't know people were kicking off outside as I would of worried about my car - luckily Moz fans don't riot too hard and there was no evidence of disgruntled fans on exit.
Really doesn't seem all that long ago.
Look at me reminiscing...
Regards,
FWD

Finally proof that Gannon was way in over his head. He wasn't getting jostled into making mistakes as people have said, he just didn't know the songs too well.

Absolute guff. Apart from the obvious cock-up at the start (I'm not even sure that isn't down to Mike in any case), Craig's playing is well up to standard all the way through. What mistakes are you talking about?

I agree. Craig is awesome in this! "Stop Me" is the only track that sounds a little shaky... and I think nerves and Mike Joyce is partially to blame for it. At the end of the song - you can see Moz look around and smile at them. These versions of the singles and b-sides are FAR SUPERIOR to the ones his backing band did during the 1991 world tour. The fuzz on the guitar during "Playboys" and the intricate playing on "Interesting Drug" are amazing!

My goodness - we might of passed each other without knowing!
And there was me moaning in the bootlegs section ;)
I think, besides his possible homelife scandal, Mr. Peel could not have been a better advocate.
So it was as I remember - short notice. I will forgive any musician a bum note in that case.
I drove there in a clapped out morris marina (battle bus!) and found Wolverhampton grey but the atmosphere....lord...
It almost topped me meeting (what old people used to call stalking!) him in Bath.
If anyone in the queue was offered an 'Ask' cassette single for sale - it was me! Wanted beer and petrol money and knew I'd sell it as it was rare.
My friend probably sold a few of u a tshirt also.
Used to sell them out the back of the NME and they were better quality than anything I've seen since.
We both then smuggled a sony walkman pro and mic down our cod pieces to get through the rather overzealous searches.
One of the recordings came from here and was on vinyl a couple of days later.
I'm glad we didn't know people were kicking off outside as I would of worried about my car - luckily Moz fans don't riot too hard and there was no evidence of disgruntled fans on exit.
Really doesn't seem all that long ago.
Look at me reminiscing...
Regards,
FWD

Possibly you are the only active user who actually saw the gig.

I was too polite to break the queue, couldn't get in.

According to absent user Brel, some Mancunian cheeky gits told him later that they audaciously broke the queue and got in.

My acquaintance was on Mike's guest list, but she and her friends were turned away by the security.
They were in a pub, came too late.

I saw Pete Burns, his wife and a friend got off from black cab.
Security let them in.

Morrissey waved at us from the staircase on the way to the stage.

Last edited:
never thought i'd see the day..i remember creating my account and hearing of this gig and how it was recorded but never released...this day is truly legendary.

Thanks a lot for this Moztictac

I never thought this would ever see the light of day - those who had copies kept them very close to their chests - so many many thanks for sharing.

Dave

OH MY FECKEN GOD! Sweet Jesus.....>!!!!!!!!

*keels over and dies*

NEED TO WATCH THIS NOWWWW!

WHOEVER UPLOADED THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE GENIUS AND I LOVE YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:

*keels over and dies*

:D

dreams-come-true-inspirationaldaily1.jpg

I was 18 when this concert happened. Waited 23 hours on a freezing pavement with my brother and mates and yes , we were one of the lucky ones to get in.

This video doesn't do the concert justice. The atmosphere was electric andive never experienced it since.

Just an amazing night.

And got meself on hulmerist a few times aswell.......I'm the kid with floppy hair , queen is dead tshirt and green cardigan.

And to top it off tim broad asked me to walk down the street outside the venue at the front of the smiths fans .....me out of thousands waiting , why did tim broad ask me to do it.

A fantastic fantastic experience.

I feel for those who got close to getting in - not nice.
It was my first time in the civic hall and I was niave to assume it would hold all who turned up.
I started up on the balcony to the left of Moz and then went to check on my mate who was at the middle back holding a microphone nervously in the air.
I didn't see any one famous. I do remember, as stated just, how damn cold it was sitting near the kerb for hours.
I saw the bus go by but didn't see Moz but sure as hell heard the row when he exited.
I shall put it all in my book one day.
During the Wool Hall days, we used to follow him...oh the stories! I remember going in to a health food shop and buying what he had just bought - royal jelly... dear me! Halcyon days...
I'm sure its called stalking now but it sure as hell was fun.
Don't think I could do better than Willy Russell has done already.
Thank you all for the wonderful memory jogs.
Regards,
FWD

Last edited:
Sorry for the war story.....

Bought my first smiths indeed fanzine outside the venue. My mom bought me and my brother some food down.

It was a freezing night , very cold. I remember when the doors were finally opened , the push and the crush was incredible.

Met some nice people and who remembers the support group? , it was Bradford and they were shite.

Great great memories.

Sorry for the war story.....

Bought my first smiths indeed fanzine outside the venue. My mom bought me and my brother some food down.

It was a freezing night , very cold. I remember when the doors were finally opened , the push and the crush was incredible.

Met some nice people and who remembers the support group? , it was Bradford and they were shite.

Great great memories.

Sounds bloody great. You came from America to see this gig in particular? Watching this video...there's so many stage invasions! It's unreal. Gannon's guitar leads falling out.

I bet the smug people who would never give us this video are now crying in bitterness that the real fans have it in their collections too mwhahaha :D

*keels over and dies*

Just saw this and thought it summed my inner voice up very well!
Far too long in the tooth to jump up and down shouting it! ;)
FWD

Sounds bloody great. You came from America to see this gig in particular? Watching this video...there's so many stage invasions! It's unreal. Gannon's guitar leads falling out.

I bet the smug people who would never give us this video are now crying in bitterness that the real fans have it in their collections too mwhahaha :D

Well spotted DAVIE. :D

I don't know what made Simplysmiths to type "mom".

If he's British / Irish, he wouldn't spelt like that.

I was there. It was the day after the Lockerbie bombing and a woman there had cancelled her seat on the flight to see the Wolverhampton gig. It was an incredible night. Remember bedding down in Derby train station as all the trains to Sheffield had stopped running after the show. got there at about 7 in the morning on the day of the gig and there were about 300 people already there. Me and my friend got in without much hassle though the crush when they opened the doors was intense.

No I'm from the Uk. I live 5 miles away from the venue.

Just watching this video has bought it all back.

I swear to god I've never seen so many smiths t shirts around Wolverhampton in my life. The local florist never had it so good , I kid you not......they actually sold out.

When we got into the venue me and my brother just looked at each and more or less said "FK me , we got in"

Being asked by tim broad is the highlight for me.....and who would have thought that just months later they would split up again.

Brilliant memories that will stay with me till I die , it was an amazing experience.

Well spotted DAVIE. :D

I don't know what made Simplysmiths to type "mom".

If he's British / Irish, he wouldn't spelt like that.

You're kidding right? That's how I refer to my mom.

I live in a place called Willenhall in a little area called New Invention.

I went to Sneyd school , Vernon way , bloxwich.

I can assure you , I'm British all right....do you need more

Aghhh! I just cannot get over that we have this treasure that we can keep forever! It's the best feeling ever! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom