Why I'll always love Morrissey - the Irish Post

"As far as I was concerned, Moz = god. It’s hard to explain your love of Morrissey to a non-believer."

Other than this bizarre statement, this is quite an interesting article. But there's some odd assertions:

"Aren’t popstars so safe, so sanitised, so dreadfully dull these days? When the most controversial thing that happens during a week in the world of pop is Justin Bieber relieving himself in a mop bucket or Harry Styles getting another bad tattoo, you know things are bad."

Miley Cyrus 'twerking' her arse certainly seems to have livened up the Twitterati. Morrissey 'fans' attack Bieber and One Direction for being young and adored as Icons by girls rather than spotty boys: how many times have we seen that?

Morrissey was 'of his time'. Some of his work has resonance beyond a few years, some of it is best discarded into the mists of time: "You Were Good In Your Time"......

regards.

A fine recount. Well written. Just goes to show that anyone, at anytime, can be pulled into the wonderful world of The Smiths/Morrissey. As recent as yesterday, and throughout my life as a fan, I have had people who have never heard of The Smiths or Morrissey, see one of my tattoos and say something to the effect like, "damn! This guy must really mean a lot to you"? I first tell them that I get tattoos, (be them of Morrissey or something else) for me. Instead of buying a t-shirt or shot glass from wherever I visit, I will visit a local tattoo shop to commemorate my visit, for instance. Others are deeply personal and hidden from public view. But second, is the answer to their question. "Yes. He and his music are a big part of my life, and has, and continues to bring me a great deal of happiness. You should give them/him a listen". I have come across some of these people later in life and they have told me they had no idea such music was out there, and how lucky they consider themselves to be for happening to be introduced to it, and are loyal fans.
I, like a lot of you out there, were very fortunate, (or simply smart enough) to see and hear it from the beginning. I was 14 when The Smiths released their first single and album. I was also very fortunate to see The Smiths in concert. The Queen Is Dead Tour 1986, Irvine Meadows, California. I have also had the pleasure of seeing Morrissey live on numerous occasions, and even experienced the ultimate thrill of meeting him, and shaking his hand.
Reading this article brought back some memories that I am happy to relive. And no matter what the future holds for Morrissey himself, and his fans.... 'I will always love him too'.

Back
Top Bottom