Why does Moz cut the final verse of "There is a light that never goes out" live?

sistasheila

tjekket
I only heard him singing the "there is a light" part at israel+ at manchester move 04? so I wonder whats the reason behind it of him cutting the last part of the song?
even on the queen is dead tour -on the bootlegs i saw or heard he did that.
has he ever elaborate it in an interview? i really looove that part of the song..I remember him commenting on the line
"and in the darkened underpass I thought
Oh God, my chance has come at last.
but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask"
that this line is very hard for him to sing because he finds it too close.
but as far as i know he never commenting on the last part of the song
so anybody got an idea why he does cut it out?
hmm maybe because he prefer letting the audience sing it?

Maybe because he's no longer afraid to ask.

Maybe because he's no longer afraid to ask.

Naturally :)

Well, my opinion is that he simply doesn't need to sing it. Everyone knows that the words "there is a light and it never goes out" belong there. It's just much cooler not to sing them.

Naturally :)

Well, my opinion is that he simply doesn't need to sing it. Everyone knows that the words "there is a light and it never goes out" belong there. It's just much cooler not to sing them.

I try to be cool sometimes. It never works. :rolleyes:

Given that the fans have financed his misery to a certain degree of comfort, i think it's his one concession to audience participation.

I would personally like to see dwarfs on unicycles come on stage at that point and then at the end of the song - They all fall DOWN!

Subject to health and safety checks of course.

To be honest, I'm a bit confued as to which verse he cuts out - is it the second repeat of the Double Decker Bus verse? So, does he just end with "I haven't got one?"

Anyway...

I don't know the reason why he alters the end of the song, but Stephane provides this factual info about live versions of the end of the song on Passions:
"In live performances of the song the repeated title line was sung only once by Morrissey during the Smiths days, in Glasgow in July 1986. The rest of the time he would just stop singing at this point. When he resurrected the song on solo tours, he kept this pattern until halfway into the 2004 tour when he started doing that chorus again. This can be heard on live album "Live At Earls Court". "​
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/lyrics/smiths-w-tial.htm

To be honest, I'm a bit confued as to which verse he cuts out - is it the second repeat of the Double Decker Bus verse? So, does he just end with "I haven't got one?"

Anyway...

I don't know the reason why he alters the end of the song, but Stephane provides this factual info about live versions of the end of the song on Passions:
"In live performances of the song the repeated title line was sung only once by Morrissey during the Smiths days, in Glasgow in July 1986. The rest of the time he would just stop singing at this point. When he resurrected the song on solo tours, he kept this pattern until halfway into the 2004 tour when he started doing that chorus again. This can be heard on live album "Live At Earls Court". "​
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/lyrics/smiths-w-tial.htm

the multiple repeat of the final line there is a light that never goes out I was refering to ^^

Last edited:
What with global warming and all I suspect a member of Stretford council in a smelly uniform informed mozza that the light had to be turned off otherwise he would face an on the spot fine of 11 shillings! I bet it wasn’t even an energy saving bulb!

I could be wrong but didn't he also sing the last line during the 2002 tour?

Back
Top Bottom