Why Anthrax’s Scott Ian absolutely hates Morrissey’s “Suedehead” - A.V. Club

3987-cool-story-bro.jpg

Well I can see that the words 'orgasmic angel' mean something to devoted followers of the Moz.
Hey Playcat doesn't this use of the word 'angel' offend God or one of those people?

Hmmm, Not sure what you mean but I can think of worse things to call out as offensive.

I cant imagine anyone else's voice for The Smiths, Moz's voice was perfect for their sound. Just my opinion of course.

Oh I agree absolutely. It's impossible to imagine The Smiths without his voice, those lyrics required that melancholic croon. It doesn't matter if he wasn't Roy Orbison, it was better that his voice was more flawed and unique. Michael Stipe also had this, being distinctive is the most important thing for a singer. Some have tried to replicate him with varying results - naturally I love Gene, but he is a one off original, just like as pointed out that you couldn't really detect the band's influences.

lol!! Way to kill the mood!

Seriously, this picture will give me nightmares. I used "orgasmic angel" because that was my first impression when I heard the Smiths. Morrissey has such a unique sound: he can be very soothing one minute, emotional, but delicate, like many great Irish singers. The next moment he is growling, howling, barking, or yodelling. He goes from deep and breathy to high and wavering in an instant; hence, my orgasmic angel reference. His delivery is as emotionally charged as his content. I can't believe anyone would hate his voice; that was the first thing that attracted me, then the lyrics kept me hooked forever.

lynnda

I can't believe anyone would hate his voice; that was the first thing that attracted me, then the lyrics kept me hooked forever.

lynnda

Well, There's no accounting for taste in the world. I love Morrissey's voice not Scott Ian's. However I also admit that there are people who love Scott Ian but hate Morrissey. These distinctive voices could have their own followers all.

That's the other thing.. I have a friend who's seriously Marr fan. She's firmly believed that all the Smiths fan would be attracted to Marr's guitar first, not Mozzer's vocal. So, she was surprised that I love Morrissey more than Marr.:rolleyes: (though actually I love them both and I agree Marr's guitar sounds like a sort of "orgasmic angel" too.:D)
Of course I wanted to fully respect her opinion but... I only recommended for her to visit & see Manchester. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom