Why Anthrax’s Scott Ian absolutely hates Morrissey’s “Suedehead” - A.V. Club

3987-cool-story-bro.jpg

Morrissey voice is the reason the smiths could be better than the beatles

Think this anthrax cover is dreadfull ! its horrendous! :(
It totally kills morrisseys wonderfull original version.
Destroys it if truth be known!

I argea whole heartedly that morrisseys singing voice is simply a beautifull in tone and colour ect, very reasuring and comforting, his lyrics effortlessly move, transform our feeings and emotions - and no one else can come remolty close 2 doing !

Theres no other artist in history, apart from patti smith and kristeen young who have this remarkable ability!
(Im listening 2 moz on my head phones now as I write! "im ok by myself" of years of refusal) )

In the words of noel galager, " the smiths are f***ing brilliant" and hes right!

I wouldnt be so quick 2 rite morrissey of just yet like a lot of you do on this forum, im quite sure there are some more moments of brillance and genious yet 2 come, specially now hes not touring at the moment, and has more time 2 concenterate on new music and writings ect

You know what? Im totally convinced that if morrissey ever penned a fictional novel, it would be the best selling work ever created! , such his his way with words ect
BrummieBoy also cud achieve simillar levels ! perhaps he may pull his finger out and get scribbling! ya never know!

But I think an artists age is highly Irrelevant, being 50 is nothing these days, ones in ones prime of ones life! patti smith is in her 60s and still one of the most maigical and energizing acts live in concert, and just look at kristeen young ? shes approaching 40 and shes mearly only beginning 2 reach the Incredible heights she was allways destined 2 achieve!
Kristeen young is the most underrated artist that has ever lived, but shes absolulty Incredible!!!!!!!!!! :)
But the credit 4 her musical talent, ability and gift ect, is now finally coming into fruition! she totally deverves it!

http://www.kristeenyoung.com/

I cant tell you how wonderfull her vocals are.

In her track "before" kristeen sings possibly the most beautifull and simply breath taking vocals you will ever hear !
Towards the end she really comes into her own, she just flows as naturally water.... her vocals are ABSOLUTEY INCREDIBLE! -
You will never hear anything quite like this in your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Link below

http://www.myspace.com/kristeenyoung/music/songs/before-30038398

(you MUST put ya headphones on tho! - enjoy ! )

But im about in the same age group as kristeen and ive not reached my potental yet either!

Ive paid tribute 2 the one who plays the keyboard like a machine gun -

Yes Im fantastic at what I do, but one shouldnt have 2 sing there own praises !
So I expect everyone on the whole forum 2 read everything I post and then tell me how wonderfull I am! that is what is meant by appreciation !

Thank you kindly! :)

I will be back a little bit later on !

With regards to Ms Young's voice I'll quote Sheldon Cooper "If cats could sing, they wouldn't like it either". she screeches too much for my taste. its just too much to take in all at once and while singing her lyrics their unintelligible. as for your comment above about putting on head phones while listening to her...i'd rather keep my hearing and sanity thank you. Her singing elicits a 'nails on the chalk board' response from me. i'd rather listen to Morrissey with head phones.

Well, here's the ironic thing. Kristeen sounds like Kate Bush in that song and Moz called Kate Bush's voice "trash."

Maybe secretly he hates Kristeen's sound and is just playing along (or stringing her along) to appease TV.

It's true, nothing new here. Like his fabulous idol Patti Smith, Moz's voice is an acquired taste and put many off The Smiths. The manager of Pulp or something said they were like The Smiths but with someone who could sing. Now I do think Jarvis has a fantastic voice when he uses it but he's surely also acquired taste. Here's to unique sounding imperfect voices rather than cloned autotuned X Factor shit that is destroying today's pop music.

It's true, nothing new here. Like his fabulous idol Patti Smith, Moz's voice is an acquired taste and put many off The Smiths. The manager of Pulp or something said they were like The Smiths but with someone who could sing. Now I do think Jarvis has a fantastic voice when he uses it but he's surely also acquired taste. Here's to unique sounding imperfect voices rather than cloned autotuned X Factor shit that is destroying today's pop music.

I cant imagine anyone else's voice for The Smiths, Moz's voice was perfect for their sound. Just my opinion of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe secretly he hates Kristeen's sound and is just playing along (or stringing her along) to appease TV.

Yeah, you nailed it there, pal. :rolleyes:

Way better than when done by the voice of Morrissey.

I have to agree with the Anthrax guy on this one. When I listen to 80's collections or the radio and Morrisseys voice comes up, although kind of catchy in a way, it does have a drone to it, and I can imagine it being nails-on-a-chalkboard to many people. I do find Morrisseys voice hard to stomach myself, although I don't always rush to the power button to shut it off, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to look at my music collection and occasionally think that with the odd exception; Sinatra, Presley and so on most of the rest had one thing in common. They couldn't really sing, at least not in the traditional meaning of the word. The idea that Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Joey Ramone or Elvis Costello might make it through an X Factor audition as young men new to the business is fanciful, but we live in an age where it isn't what you say, it's how you say it.

That's why Michael Buble gets number one albums and Nick Cave doesn't, or might for a nanosecond before dropping off the chart entirely the following week. Artists with a message beyond the "Ooh, baby, I lurve you" are seen as outsiders almost more than the Pistols were at the height of their infamy. This Cowellisation, this music as a commodity rather than a force for change or even conversation, has ruined popular music. I can't see how even a hippy movement, punk or rave could shake it up at the moment. It pervades every aspect of society. A Robbie Williams single is almost a messianic event. The sure to be Westlife reunion will be greeted as a snapshot in human history as important as the invention of the match.

One of the reasons I am often critical of Morrissey is that with popular music at such a low, probably as low as it has been since the 1950s, he should be one of the very few artists we could expect to look to to fill the void. At the moment he seems unable to come to our rescue.

I think that it's safe to say that your comment summarizes why most of us were drawn to the smiths, and later, to Morrissey as a solo artist. The most irrelevant music always seems to dominate the charts; it has been that way since pop music began, and unfortunately, as you stated, the situation seems to be getting worse. So, when something unique and intelligent finally comes along, we just want to embrace it for as long as possible. I understand why you are often critical of Morrissey; you expect the best from him, which is completely understandable because he set the bar so high for himself right from the start. Some express their passion for his work by calling him out when his songs (and public commentary) are not up to par; others defend him out of respect for what has already been given, but we all really just want the same thing: more Morrissey. I pray that we get at least one more great record; I would love to see him get some positive public recognition. Even without any new material, the man should be remembered as one of the greatest lyricists in the history of pop music, but it would just be so much better if he could have one more stellar moment, especially since the music industry as we once knew it seems to be headed for extinction. Now, back to the original topic: I think that Morrissey has the most melodic voice ever heard; he sings like an orgasmic angel.

lynnda

Speaking of Kristeen, I still can't believe she has the nerve to sell her t-shirt for $35.

She didn't. It was $30 for a shirt, CD and poster...really not bad.

I think it's pretty clear why Morrissey has had her on tour for so long, he likes her and her music. I think it's that simple.

I wasn't blown away by her at first but have come to really like her music. I think she better on the CD's; I love fantastic Failure, every song is great. The more I listen to it the more I like it.

I think that it's safe to say that your comment summarizes why most of us were drawn to the smiths, and later, to Morrissey as a solo artist. The most irrelevant music always seems to dominate the charts; it has been that way since pop music began, and unfortunately, as you stated, the situation seems to be getting worse. So, when something unique and intelligent finally comes along, we just want to embrace it for as long as possible. I understand why you are often critical of Morrissey; you expect the best from him, which is completely understandable because he set the bar so high for himself right from the start. Some express their passion for his work by calling him out when his songs (and public commentary) are not up to par; others defend him out of respect for what has already been given, but we all really just want the same thing: more Morrissey. I pray that we get at least one more great record; I would love to see him get some positive public recognition. Even without any new material, the man should be remembered as one of the greatest lyricists in the history of pop music, but it would just be so much better if he could have one more stellar moment, especially since the music industry as we once knew it seems to be headed for extinction. Now, back to the original topic: I think that Morrissey has the most melodic voice ever heard; he sings like an orgasmic angel.

lynnda

Yes! Agree and double agree:p

Way better than when done by the voice of Morrissey.

I have to agree with the Anthrax guy on this one. When I listen to 80's collections or the radio and Morrisseys voice comes up, although kind of catchy in a way, it does have a drone to it, and I can imagine it being nails-on-a-chalkboard to many people. I do find Morrisseys voice hard to stomach myself, although I don't always rush to the power button to shut it off, haha.

This version stinks. Morrissey's voice is better. I have to disagree with you and the Anthrax guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnda

Very well said! Always nice to hear from you. :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom