Why Anthrax’s Scott Ian absolutely hates Morrissey’s “Suedehead” - A.V. Club

3987-cool-story-bro.jpg

Interesting comment Johnny Barleycorn . Bona Drag an extension of lyrics Moz could have used with The Smiths.......... could have been !

I think I remember reading an interview where Morrissey said if you say you like The Smiths you have to explain why.I hate when people say his music is so depressing.That`s just lazy.Yes his music does deal with depression and loneliness.That`s part of life for some people.I think it made a great deal of people feel less alone.There are some singers with what we call conventionally beautiful voices but they sing nothing but disposable,shallow songs.I think an example of Morrissey`s talent I Know It`s Over.Just listening to him sing that song you can really feel his words come alive through his voice.You know it`s genuine ,real.That`s what I feel when I listen to Morrissey.I think a lot of artists lack this these days.It`s really such a shame.I love listening to him.

I think I remember reading an interview where Morrissey said if you say you like The Smiths you have to explain why.I hate when people say his music is so depressing.That`s just lazy.Yes his music does deal with depression and loneliness.That`s part of life for some people.I think it made a great deal of people feel less alone.There are some singers with what we call conventionally beautiful voices but they sing nothing but disposable,shallow songs.I think an example of Morrissey`s talent I Know It`s Over.Just listening to him sing that song you can really feel his words come alive through his voice.You know it`s genuine ,real.That`s what I feel when I listen to Morrissey.I think a lot of artists lack this these days.It`s really such a shame.I love listening to him.

I used to look at my music collection and occasionally think that with the odd exception; Sinatra, Presley and so on most of the rest had one thing in common. They couldn't really sing, at least not in the traditional meaning of the word. The idea that Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Joey Ramone or Elvis Costello might make it through an X Factor audition as young men new to the business is fanciful, but we live in an age where it isn't what you say, it's how you say it.

That's why Michael Buble gets number one albums and Nick Cave doesn't, or might for a nanosecond before dropping off the chart entirely the following week. Artists with a message beyond the "Ooh, baby, I lurve you" are seen as outsiders almost more than the Pistols were at the height of their infamy. This Cowellisation, this music as a commodity rather than a force for change or even conversation, has ruined popular music. I can't see how even a hippy movement, punk or rave could shake it up at the moment. It pervades every aspect of society. A Robbie Williams single is almost a messianic event. The sure to be Westlife reunion will be greeted as a snapshot in human history as important as the invention of the match.

One of the reasons I am often critical of Morrissey is that with popular music at such a low, probably as low as it has been since the 1950s, he should be one of the very few artists we could expect to look to to fill the void. At the moment he seems unable to come to our rescue.

Last edited:
Well, that's his opinion, I don't think there's nothing wrong with that, he was quite respectful to him so fair enough. I disagree, obviously, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

errrrr no, theyre not.

i get that some people may not like Morrissey's voice, but it's a bit much coming from a member of fookin' Anthrax- hardly a leading opinion on vocal music.

that cover of London only sounds like shite becos of the terrible vocals.

I didn't know this cover. Years ago(around 96'?) I heard Deftones' cover of 'Please Please Let Me Get What I want'. and it was quite interesting. Though that kind of music had never been my cup of tea.
But this Anthrax one is, errrh... I just found I can't stand Scott Ian's voice. :D

One of the reasons I am often critical of Morrissey is that with popular music at such a low, probably as low as it has been since the 1950s, he should be one of the very few artists we could expect to look to to fill the void. At the moment he seems unable to come to our rescue.

Somewhat bitter, but sadly I do feel the same way. I actually never mind Mozzer's some idiot statements/interviews in recent days(I still think he's a charming man:p), but the first time I heard 'People Are The Same Everywhere', I went angry a bit, 'Jesus, he gives me shit more and more. *facepalm*' :o

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Morrissey is our favourite singer but a 50 something year old is never going to do a whole lot to upset the musical applecart. Musical revolutions are made by people in their teens or twenties.

Think this anthrax cover is dreadfull ! its horrendous! :(
It totally kills morrisseys wonderfull original version.
Destroys it if truth be known!

I argea whole heartedly that morrisseys singing voice is simply a beautifull in tone and colour ect, very reasuring and comforting, his lyrics effortlessly move, transform our feeings and emotions - and no one else can come remolty close 2 doing !

Theres no other artist in history, apart from patti smith and kristeen young who have this remarkable ability!
(Im listening 2 moz on my head phones now as I write! "im ok by myself" of years of refusal) )

In the words of noel galager, " the smiths are f***ing brilliant" and hes right!

I wouldnt be so quick 2 rite morrissey of just yet like a lot of you do on this forum, im quite sure there are some more moments of brillance and genious yet 2 come, specially now hes not touring at the moment, and has more time 2 concenterate on new music and writings ect

You know what? Im totally convinced that if morrissey ever penned a fictional novel, it would be the best selling work ever created! , such his his way with words ect
BrummieBoy also cud achieve simillar levels ! perhaps he may pull his finger out and get scribbling! ya never know!

But I think an artists age is highly Irrelevant, being 50 is nothing these days, ones in ones prime of ones life! patti smith is in her 60s and still one of the most maigical and energizing acts live in concert, and just look at kristeen young ? shes approaching 40 and shes mearly only beginning 2 reach the Incredible heights she was allways destined 2 achieve!
Kristeen young is the most underrated artist that has ever lived, but shes absolulty Incredible!!!!!!!!!! :)
But the credit 4 her musical talent, ability and gift ect, is now finally coming into fruition! she totally deverves it!

http://www.kristeenyoung.com/

I cant tell you how wonderfull her vocals are.

In her track "before" kristeen sings possibly the most beautifull and simply breath taking vocals you will ever hear !
Towards the end she really comes into her own, she just flows as naturally water.... her vocals are ABSOLUTEY INCREDIBLE! -
You will never hear anything quite like this in your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Link below

http://www.myspace.com/kristeenyoung/music/songs/before-30038398

(you MUST put ya headphones on tho! - enjoy ! )

But im about in the same age group as kristeen and ive not reached my potental yet either!

Ive paid tribute 2 the one who plays the keyboard like a machine gun -

Yes Im fantastic at what I do, but one shouldnt have 2 sing there own praises !
So I expect everyone on the whole forum 2 read everything I post and then tell me how wonderfull I am! that is what is meant by appreciation !

Thank you kindly! :)

I will be back a little bit later on !

I argea whole heartedly that morrisseys singing voice is simply a beautifull in tone and colour ect, very reasuring and comforting, his lyrics effortlessly move, transform our feeings and emotions - and no one else can come remolty close 2 doing !

Theres no other artist in history, apart from patti smith and kristeen young who have this remarkable ability!
(Im listening 2 moz on my head phones now as I write! "im ok by myself" of years of refusal) )

In the words of noel galager, " the smiths are f***ing brilliant" and hes right!

I wouldnt be so quick 2 rite morrissey of just yet like a lot of you do on this forum, im quite sure there are some more moments of brillance and genious yet 2 come, specially now hes not touring at the moment, and has more time 2 concenterate on new music and writings ect

You know what? Im totally convinced that if morrissey ever penned a fictional novel, it would be the best selling work ever created! , such his his way with words ect
BrummieBoy also cud achieve simillar levels ! perhaps he may pull his finger out and get scribbling! ya never know!

But I think an artists age is highly Irrelevant, being 50 is nothing these days, ones in ones prime of ones life! patti smith is in her 60s and still one of the most maigical and energizing acts live in concert, and just look at kristeen young ? shes approaching 40 and shes mearly only beginning 2 reach the Incredible heights she was allways destined 2 achieve!
Kristeen young is the most underrated artist that has ever lived, but shes absolulty Incredible!!!!!!!!!! :)
But the credit 4 her musical talent, ability and gift ect, is now finally coming into fruition! she totally deverves it!

In her track "before" kristeen sings possibly the most beautifull and simply breath taking vocals you will ever hear !
Towards the end she really comes into her own, she just flows as naturally water.... her vocals are ABSOLUTEY INCREDIBLE! -
You will never hear anything quite like this in your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Link below

But im about in the same age group as kristeen and ive not reached my potental yet either!

So I expect everyone on the whole forum 2 read everything I post and then tell me how wonderfull I am! that is what is meant by appreciation !

You stick to the script, I'll give you that.

Link below

Do you do a lot of copy and paste for your writings? They all sound the same 'blah blah blah Kristeen is great, blah blah blah, she's incredible'. She basically sucks. I mean if you like someone screeching its all well and good. But I don't think she's incredible or all that good. She's ok and that's it.

I personally love Anthrax. I could care less if Scott Ian digs Moz.

Never knew about this cover (never saw the movie). Why the song London? Does it relate to the plot of the film somehow, or is it more evidence of Marr's occasional appeal to metal heads (cf Shoplifters solo)? Music starts off well -- vocals are jokey and horrible.

This cover is the first thing I thought of when i read this. First time I heard it was in that stupid movie, Airheads.

Well, here's the ironic thing. Kristeen sounds like Kate Bush in that song and Moz called Kate Bush's voice "trash."

Link below

Do you do a lot of copy and paste for your writings? They all sound the same 'blah blah blah Kristeen is great, blah blah blah, she's incredible'. She basically sucks. I mean if you like someone screeching its all well and good. But I don't think she's incredible or all that good. She's ok and that's it.

Thank u 4 your reply and query.
No I dont copy and paste the majority of my writings, only a little bit of it!

Well you have your opinion and I have mine.

I dont care what anyone says, I like kristeen! I liked her from the very first second she appeared on stage 2 perform live in concert !
I was instantly attracted and fell under her spell as if by magic!
Try as I might, im totally powerless 2 resist her! , Im devoted 4 ever and ever! :)

But I only wanted 2 mention about the full life size tribute ive done of and 4 kristeen, many moons and glasses of red have passed since I embarked on such a journey ! but theses things take time!!!!

Anyway think were all going completey off topic here, this is supposed 2 be about the dreadfull anthrax cover version of suedehead !
So I will go 2 one of the hobbies, projects, arts and crafts topics shortly in order 2 further advance this discussion ect.

I must make good my escape ! ...... but I will be back very shortly !!!! :)

Good evening ! :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom