Weird Al Yankovic throws down the gauntlet

@alyankovic: Just found out my new album is coming out the same day as Morrissey’s. Yeah, we’ll just SEE whose album is FUNNIER!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird Al and I are both alumni of Cal Poly SLO. :p

Unfunny. Sad when you have to drop a name to make yourself relevant.

It's quite obvious that he made himself relevant to Morrissey fans. If not, it wouldn't have been posted.

Or maybe he just noticed their albums drop the same day. THat's a pretty specific thing to happen in a recording artist's life.

Yes, they're the only 2 artists releasing albums on that day. He could've just as easily mentioned e-40, but why didn't he? It's nothing more or less than a jab to acquire attention.

I didn’t really read it as an insult, more just Weird Al being Weird Al. He’s not the type of guy to go out and slag people to actually hurt feelings. At least that’s my take. I’ll have to say that in America he’s pretty huge still, and he’s well known here for being a really genuine friendly guy.

P.S. I met him at a book signing with my kids last year. :)

I've been a Weird Al fan for longer than I've been fond of Morrissey. Al's a novelty act, it's true, but he's managed to raise that to an art form. The man is wicked funny, inventive, talented and one smart cookie. He's also relentlessly upbeat.

And yes, he's still got it.

Yes, they're the only 2 artists releasing albums on that day. He could've just as easily mentioned e-40, but why didn't he? It's nothing more or less than a jab to acquire attention.

I think it was a fun and playful way of saying "My album is coming out soon" rather than just saying it in some boring straight forward way. Since his entire career is based on making people laugh it makes perfect sense to me.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom