The Indepent on Morrissey and "Morrissey 25"

Superb review. Balanced, nuanced, but with some seriously hard-hitting blows:

"Still insisting on the sort of 1990s record deal which would have subsidised that South American jaunt, but no longer exists in an imploding music industry, he has been without a label for some time. "

"
Morrissey's talent has stayed circumscribed by its interest in the witty description of his own despair and loneliness, and regressed from the similar subject of The Smiths by losing their songs' healing, communal connection to an adolescent generation. That has been replaced by a deepening, resourcefully amusing solipsism."

"
insensitive solipsism, most infamously when, immediately after Anders Breivik's mass killing in Norway, he said on stage that the 77 dead were "nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried shit every day".

"His role as a sort of rock Prince Philip, putting his foot in his mouth on subjects such as this and immigration, has been another reason for old fans abhorring him."

Oh dear. Reviews linking him to Alan Clark and now the Norman Tory Whore bloodline's most egregious exponent of unquestioned Privilege!

Morrissey's previous sulking sojourn ended with YATQ, which was marred by tiresome complaints about his business and legal failings and dramas. He retains elements of that mindset in imagining that there is some conspiracy to prevent him from another spell on the payroll of international entertainment corporations with access to aggressive marketing tactics and stategies to force the lumpen herd consumer to listen to "Boy's A Looker". His most ridiculous song, attempting to lambast Pop Idol when he is being revealed as just another lucky contestant in the early 80s NME managed Indie-Pop Idol Show. With Paul Morley and John Peel as guest panellists choosing who got to escape the dole and who had to get a real job in the real economy doing something other than Bread and Circus. Entertainment as Repressive Tolerance. "Marcuse is me!"

It remains to be seen if Morrissey can do another comeback. If he does, one can only hope he moves beyond his tired tropes and addresses the real existential dramas of being a Boomer Graveyard Multi-Millionaire entertainer in the Hollywood Hills in a way that connects with his non-celebrity audience rather than more nonsense that "says nothing to me about my life". That would be a sad epitaph to his later career when he connected so potently at the outset.

I've enjoyed listening to Morrissey and his contribution to "The Smiths" over the last couple of weeks as I had a comment bash here. But I'm getting bored now so will soon return to lurking and LOL-ing at the cult dramas as they play out. It's like a mad sit-com or Celebrity Big Brother. Thanks to all for contributing to the co-created collaborative revenge on corporate rock star whoredom. Thanks to those who gave us the Interwebs. And, in the days of Manning, Assange and Snowden, thanks to America for it's First Amendment and to DavidT for making this place a reasonable guardian of those foundational principles. "Viva America!" "Viva Los Angeles!" "Viva 'Hilarious Career Car-Crash Live Film!"

Morrissey never was and never will be every person's cup of tea because taste in art and music is completely subjective. That being said, there are many, many people who find a great deal of value in his work. Those people are not fawning sycophants or Kool-aid drinking cult members, nor do they believe that Morrissey is some sort of infallible Savior; they just simply enjoy his music and they enjoy seeing him perform that music in concert. It is presumable that many of these people started coming to a site devoted to Morrissey's solo career, a site that was formerly tagged as his unofficial fansite, because they wanted to talk to others who feel a similar appreciation. It is normal to seek out other human beings who share the same interests and passions. However, what they found was two or three people who seem hell-bent on denouncing this artist. So the question still remains: why would any sane person waste one second of precious time attacking a pop artist that is no longer of interest to him/her? If the goal is to diminish Morrissey's fanbase for some vindictive reason, then that is a futile plan. The sane fans, which most people are, will not be instantly persuaded by the juvenile or pretentious postings of a complete stranger, and the seriously obsessed will just see these harsh attacks as the persecution of their beloved idol, which will only make that group more determined to defend him. So the only plausible conclusion is that there are a few people here who feel the need to detract from someone else's happiness, and that is a very destructive and hateful way to approach life. And please don't start screaming about freedom of speech; there are legal limitations concerning that right, especially when it involves slander or content that is only intended to provoke violence and hatred. Besides, no one is questioning your right to post; it is just perplexing as to why you would dedicate so much time to negativity rather than doing something positive and productive. Additionally, please don't respond by insisting that you are "normal" and enjoying your happy homelife when you are not posting hundreds of messages on this site. Those frequent references make me wonder whom you are trying to convince, the other readers or yourself, and please remember, many serial killers had "happy, normal homelives". Some small part of me feels sorry for these people, but thankfully the other 95% of me could give less than a f*** about them. Viva Morrissey, an imperfect but talented and beautiful human being.

lynnda

Gosh, we have suddenly got all brave haven't we, my little ones? 'Shridan', Playcat and IBIH. The three giants join forces to pool their mighty intellects. Tomorrow: opening a jar. I'll do my very best to do this in Teletubbies language, especially for you.

Your posts seem to be an attempt not to argue a point, but to close down any opinion that does not match your own extremely limited comprehension. It's very typical of those who have survived a modern education. It's almost a branch of political correctness. You can't counter a particular argument therefore that view must be suppressed.

Rather than the old 'play the man' (is that better?) why not give some arguments in support of your standpoint? How does he come back from the recent disaster? How can he hope to get a record deal in a modern music business? I've never seen any one of you address these issues, all of which Morrissey himself concedes. I don't know if you've noticed between tattoos but he's produced five songs in four years.

Let me give you a clue. You don't really know and you don't really care. I'm not sure you give a shit about Morrissey and his legacy. In fact, your interest in his career seems to begin and end with wearing the t-shirt. You do a good impression of being hangers-on, and not very sharp ones at that.

If Morrissey handed any of you a microphone you'd poke your own eye out. f***ing dopes. I get more sense out of my cat.

Alright then Mr. Barleycorn. Now that you got that out of your system, (hope you feel better especially after that strong finish by calling 'us' "f***ing dopes", always nice to finish a thought with a well place profanity) lets see if I can rise to your standards and defend myself with some answers you so desperately desire.
First, no one has joined forces. As it happened, a few others happened to agree with my thoughts apparently and decided to let it be known. As I am sure the same is true of you, it is gratifying when people agree with you. I have seen your replies of thanks to those who side with you, so that's not up for dispute.
What sticks out in your post more than anything is your apparent complete and utter understanding of my education, 'extremely limited comprehension', my ability to avoid direct questions, my inability to argue points, my lack of care and/or concern for Morrissey's career and legacy, and the 'fact' that I am a hanger-on who's interest and devotion is limited to wearing a Morrissey t-shirt. You clearly know me very well, OR you are the one who is thick, and who's best attribute is making an ass of himself by insulting instead of listening. I have gone way back on this site and read a vast amount of your posts and thoughts. have you done the same with me? of course not. You read what I have posted currently, didn't agree with it, and made your judgment. Bad idea all around. All you've done is present yourself as a bully who thinks he knows it all. You have made a fool of yourself, in my opinion.

How does Morrissey come back from the recent disaster? Well, what 'disaster' precisely are you referring to? If you mean the troubles surrounding the cancellation of tour dates due to a myriad of problems, my answer would be: It wasn't a disaster at all. Bad things happen. People get sick for instance. I had tickets for the show in las vegas. I made travel plans, saved money, took time off work, etc, just to be disappointed and have my show postponed twice and eventually cancelled. Was I angry? You bet! Has this happened to me before? Yes. Did I decide Moz is a lazy, disrespectful, asshole and decide I had had enough of his shenanigans once and for all and change my mind about him as a fan, and vow never to support him again? NO. No I did not. Because the times he thrilled me with an album or performance far supersede the disappointments. But to answer your question, what can he do other than regroup, get healthy, and re-schedule all the dates he cancelled. Perhaps in addition, he could pull a 40 foot lead pipe from his ass. Would that make the disgruntled fans forgive him? No. So what else can he do? If you have the answer, were all ears.

As far as the other question, How can he hope to get a record deal in a modern music business? I can only give a hypothesis. I am not in the music industry. As far as I am concerned, and what I believe, he could waltz into any label's offices and cut a record tomorrow if he really wanted to. I am certain there are more than I can count who would be trilled to be his label and assist him in making a record, but for whatever reason, he chooses not to and that decision is to the dismay of a lot of people. Fans, his band, and anyone who would benefit from a release including the critics who either way, (great record or not) would have something to write about, and thus we would have yet another subject to talk about.
If people who once called themselves fans are so pissed off at him for whatever reason, (hell pick one) and choose not to support him any longer, that's their loss in my opinion. Like you, me, and everyone who visits this site, we all have been let down by Moz in some way and at some time, but to throw away all of your fond memories, and decide not to be supportive and furthermore make fun of and berate those of us who still are is simply childish and unnecessary. Have your say. Make your point, but ease up on those who still love the guy no matter what. For you, or anyone else to tell me that i: don't know the music, don't really care, etc, etc, etc, is simply incorrect. Full stop. If you want to devise a test and quiz me on my knowledge of all things Morrissey, knock yourself out. I welcome the challenge. I am 43 years old, lived in both England and America, read more books about Smiths/Moz, and more than likely have been to more shows, than most others on this site, but I do not wish to get into a pissing contest. But I will not stand by idle and take shit from anyone when it comes to my 'fandom, obsession, or whatever you want to call it. I have ultimate faith in my knowledge. Again, full stop.

I certainly hope that you are satisfied with my reply. If you are not, I really don't care, but at least now you must know that I have more than an "extremely limited comprehension".

By the way, if handed the mic, I would simply say the words, 'thank you' in as many languages I know. I have more than a limited vocabulary in 5 different ones.

Peace to you and your cat... my cat too.

S. Whiteside

Firstly, I think this three of you against one of me thing is extremely unfair. You might want to go and get some more people.

If I mistook your writings for those of a callow youth that is hardly my fault, is it? Must try harder, Shridan. It's taken a long time to get that from you, and although I'm not convinced it was worth the effort it improves on your other recent posts in which you have come across with all the petulance of Napoleon Dynamite.

So even though Morrissey himself thinks it's a potentially career ending issue, you don't? Is that it? Oh good. That's that settled. Nothing to see here.

I realise you are very heavily invested in Morrissey making a stunning comeback, because if it ends here you are going to head into your fifties and sixties covered front and back in the equivalent of Simpsons tattoos: a once great thing which has also slowly eaten away at its own legacy in the last twenty-five years. I know they are going to look increasingly strange, and you need him to return stronger than ever. I understand that.

Believe it or not I want that too, despite the stunning recent revelations through his statements that he is an ignorant, politically immature dolt. I want to hear one last hurrah, before, I hope, he heads towards a very long, very wealthy, very healthy retirement.

Firstly, I think this three of you against one of me thing is extremely unfair. You might want to go and get some more people.

If I mistook your writings for those of a callow youth that is hardly my fault, is it? Must try harder, Shridan. It's taken a long time to get that from you, and although I'm not convinced it was worth the effort it improves on your other recent posts in which you have come across with all the petulance of Napoleon Dynamite.

So even though Morrissey himself thinks it's a potentially career ending issue, you don't? Is that it? Oh good. That's that settled. Nothing to see here.

I realise you are very heavily invested in Morrissey making a stunning comeback, because if it ends here you are going to head into your fifties and sixties covered front and back in the equivalent of Simpsons tattoos: a once great thing which has also slowly eaten away at its own legacy in the last twenty-five years. I know they are going to look increasingly strange, and you need him to return stronger than ever. I understand that.

Believe it or not I want that too, despite the stunning recent revelations through his statements that he is an ignorant, politically immature dolt. I want to hear one last hurrah, before, I hope, he heads towards a very long, very wealthy, very healthy retirement.

I think that very long, very wealthy, but not so healthy retirement already started.

Morrissey never was and never will be every person's cup of tea because taste in art and music is completely subjective. That being said, there are many, many people who find a great deal of value in his work. Those people are not fawning sycophants or Kool-aid drinking cult members, nor do they believe that Morrissey is some sort of infallible Savior; they just simply enjoy his music and they enjoy seeing him perform that music in concert. It is presumable that many of these people started coming to a site devoted to Morrissey's solo career, a site that was formerly tagged as his unofficial fansite, because they wanted to talk to others who feel a similar appreciation. It is normal to seek out other human beings who share the same interests and passions. However, what they found was two or three people who seem hell-bent on denouncing this artist. So the question still remains: why would any sane person waste one second of precious time attacking a pop artist that is no longer of interest to him/her? If the goal is to diminish Morrissey's fanbase for some vindictive reason, then that is a futile plan. The sane fans, which most people are, will not be instantly persuaded by the juvenile or pretentious postings of a complete stranger, and the seriously obsessed will just see these harsh attacks as the persecution of their beloved idol, which will only make that group more determined to defend him. So the only plausible conclusion is that there are a few people here who feel the need to detract from someone else's happiness, and that is a very destructive and hateful way to approach life. And please don't start screaming about freedom of speech; there are legal limitations concerning that right, especially when it involves slander or content that is only intended to provoke violence and hatred. Besides, no one is questioning your right to post; it is just perplexing as to why you would dedicate so much time to negativity rather than doing something positive and productive. Additionally, please don't respond by insisting that you are "normal" and enjoying your happy homelife when you are not posting hundreds of messages on this site. Those frequent references make me wonder whom you are trying to convince, the other readers or yourself, and please remember, many serial killers had "happy, normal homelives". Some small part of me feels sorry for these people, but thankfully the other 95% of me could give less than a f*** about them. Viva Morrissey, an imperfect but talented and beautiful human being.

lynnda
Very well said lynnda, you put your point across much more elequently than I ever could

Since I have invested time already, let me elaborate a bit more as it seems I need to J.B.

I do not remember hearing Morrissey flat out stating that his career is potentially over. Even if he did, you know as well as I that he has made statements more bizarre, and/or said he was going to do something in particular in regards to something specific and then did the complete opposite. The point im making is that even after trying to express myself as clear and concise as I could, you still reply with this smug, childish attitude. Why? "That's that, settled, nothing to see here". Comon man. You can continue to pick apart each sentence if you must but it'll get you nowhere. You don't see me doing that to you do you? No. Because its pointless.
I am no more 'invested' in Morrissey making a comeback, (again, to me he never left) than someone who's never heard of him. I spend, and have spent money freely on things to do with Morrissey for a long time, tattoos included. But again, here you go with your assumptions and analogies in regard to my life. DROP IT. I don't care what happens to you, where you live, what you do, or if you have some kind of illness that causes you to behave the way you do. Don't care! But it sure seems that you have the fascination with me and its starting to creep me out. My tattoos are for me. I draw them, decide where I want to put them and love everyone. As for what they will look like when I am in my 50's or 60's, again, what do you care? For all you know, I could have pancreatic cancer that I was diagnosed with in June of 2010, and was told that "time is of the essence". So what my tattoos will look like if I see 50 is of course pointless.

So in closing, here's to the hope of a Morrissey "comeback", and ease up man.

Gosh, we have suddenly got all brave haven't we, my little ones? 'Shridan', Playcat and IBIH. The three giants join forces to pool their mighty intellects. Tomorrow: opening a jar. I'll do my very best to do this in Teletubbies language, especially for you.

Your posts seem to be an attempt not to argue a point, but to close down any opinion that does not match your own extremely limited comprehension. It's very typical of those who have survived a modern education. It's almost a branch of political correctness. You can't counter a particular argument therefore that view must be suppressed.

Rather than the old 'play the man' (is that better?) why not give some arguments in support of your standpoint? How does he come back from the recent disaster? How can he hope to get a record deal in a modern music business? I've never seen any one of you address these issues, all of which Morrissey himself concedes. I don't know if you've noticed between tattoos but he's produced five songs in four years.

Let me give you a clue. You don't really know and you don't really care. I'm not sure you give a shit about Morrissey and his legacy. In fact, your interest in his career seems to begin and end with wearing the t-shirt. You do a good impression of being hangers-on, and not very sharp ones at that.

If Morrissey handed any of you a microphone you'd poke your own eye out. f***ing dopes. I get more sense out of my cat.
Goodness me johnny, was that some emotion you showed in your post? Did we rattle your cage? I don't have the time or the inclination to get into long winded debates with you about morrissey's career. I am not a superfan, neither am I obsessed with morrissey. I have a full and varied life and morrissey is but one part of that life. I enjoy going to morrissey gigs and I really enjoyed going to watch his film tonight. I do have the morrissey tattoo and more than a couple of smiths tshirts, but my life does not revolve around this. I feel priveleged to have enjoyed morrissey's music and performances over the last 20 odd years, I will continue to do so, but if he doesn't release any new material I will always be grateful to him for all he has given us. What is so wrong with that? Why can you not accept that times change for all of us including morrissey?

Since I have invested time already, let me elaborate a bit more as it seems I need to J.B.

I do not remember hearing Morrissey flat out stating that his career is potentially over. Even if he did, you know as well as I that he has made statements more bizarre, and/or said he was going to do something in particular in regards to something specific and then did the complete opposite. The point im making is that even after trying to express myself as clear and concise as I could, you still reply with this smug, childish attitude. Why? "That's that, settled, nothing to see here". Comon man. You can continue to pick apart each sentence if you must but it'll get you nowhere. You don't see me doing that to you do you? No. Because its pointless.
I am no more 'invested' in Morrissey making a comeback, (again, to me he never left) than someone who's never heard of him. I spend, and have spent money freely on things to do with Morrissey for a long time, tattoos included. But again, here you go with your assumptions and analogies in regard to my life. DROP IT. I don't care what happens to you, where you live, what you do, or if you have some kind of illness that causes you to behave the way you do. Don't care! But it sure seems that you have the fascination with me and its starting to creep me out. My tattoos are for me. I draw them, decide where I want to put them and love everyone. As for what they will look like when I am in my 50's or 60's, again, what do you care? For all you know, I could have pancreatic cancer that I was diagnosed with in June of 2010, and was told that "time is of the essence". So what my tattoos will look like if I see 50 is of course pointless.

So in closing, here's to the hope of a Morrissey "comeback", and ease up man.[/QUOTE

Shridan, you are awesome and I love your posts but when you are dealing with a mind like Barleyfarts, you have to consider the source and that is that he has no life and should come up for air from his parent’s basement. He’s just a nerd and he’s creepy. I tend to just gloss over his posts otherwise my eyes start to go fuzzy.

So in closing, here's to the hope of a Morrissey "comeback", and ease up man.
i do hope you were speaking metaphorically about the pancreatic cancer

So in closing, here's to the hope of a Morrissey "comeback", and ease up man.[/QUOTE

Shridan, you are awesome and I love your posts but when you are dealing with a mind like Barleyfarts, you have to consider the source and that is that he has no life and should come up for air from his parent’s basement. He’s just a nerd and he’s creepy. I tend to just gloss over his posts otherwise my eyes start to go fuzzy.

Thank you for the kind words. As far as Barleycorn is concerned, normally I enjoy talking to a brick wall, I find it is the one thing that never contradicts me. However, in this case I was proved wrong.

Wow, where do I start? Very good film, thought it was much better than who put the M in manchester. Small venues always seem to suit morrissey better. He looked fit, he looked healthy, he sounded great. Hard to believe he was ill then and hospitalised soon afterwords. Highlights for me were, still ill, meat is murder, and speedway. Morrissey was very witty and chatty throughout and very emotional at times, almost breaking down at one point. I felt the goosebumps breaking out at times and emotional myself at times. It takes a lot to do that to a 16 stone tattoed Glaswegian . Good crowd there at xscape braehead and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

i do hope you were speaking metaphorically about the pancreatic cancer

Wish I was IBIH. But that should be of no consequence to anyone on this site like the couple of posters that are hell bent on trashing everything I say anyway. I certainly do not want them to pull their punches because of an illness. I just want them to be civil and understanding.
So glad you enjoyed the show. im jealous.

Wish I was IBIH. But that should be of no consequence to anyone on this site like the couple of posters that are hell bent on trashing everything I say anyway. I certainly do not want them to pull their punches because of an illness. I just want them to be civil and understanding.

Sorry to hear that, hope you keep well, I hope you don't think I was prying

Pulling for you. :)

Thank you Realitybites. By the way, I have followed you and your posts for years to be honest. You and a few of the others are why I officially joined this site. You obviously know your Moz and write with passion and truth. I appreciate that.
Peace to you

I have had a horrible day... feeling really bad about a lot of stuff... really bruised, broken, and battered. Your comment just made me feel a little better. So thank you so much for those kind words. You are a good person with a huge heart. x

Yet another idiot who absolutely has no clue what he is talking about. He can't even get the song names correct, and we are supposed to credit everything he has to say? Morrissey is in a bad way right now, but he will return. He always does. My advice, if he still refuses to hook up with Johnny again......rekindle whatever was lost with Alain Whyte, Gary Day and Spencer Corbin. Do whatever is necessary to get them back with Boz. Dump the losers that are the current band and get back to making some great music. Truth be told the band is quite terrible (aside from Boz) and it is evident how they struggle through even the easiest oldie from The Smiths, or any of the solo work. They really are awful.

If you wanna talk about it, id be happy to listen. i'll send you a P M with my email address. We all need a different perspective from time to time.
Hope to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom