The Indepent on Morrissey and "Morrissey 25"

Superb review. Balanced, nuanced, but with some seriously hard-hitting blows:

"Still insisting on the sort of 1990s record deal which would have subsidised that South American jaunt, but no longer exists in an imploding music industry, he has been without a label for some time. "

"
Morrissey's talent has stayed circumscribed by its interest in the witty description of his own despair and loneliness, and regressed from the similar subject of The Smiths by losing their songs' healing, communal connection to an adolescent generation. That has been replaced by a deepening, resourcefully amusing solipsism."

"
insensitive solipsism, most infamously when, immediately after Anders Breivik's mass killing in Norway, he said on stage that the 77 dead were "nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried shit every day".

"His role as a sort of rock Prince Philip, putting his foot in his mouth on subjects such as this and immigration, has been another reason for old fans abhorring him."

Oh dear. Reviews linking him to Alan Clark and now the Norman Tory Whore bloodline's most egregious exponent of unquestioned Privilege!

Morrissey's previous sulking sojourn ended with YATQ, which was marred by tiresome complaints about his business and legal failings and dramas. He retains elements of that mindset in imagining that there is some conspiracy to prevent him from another spell on the payroll of international entertainment corporations with access to aggressive marketing tactics and stategies to force the lumpen herd consumer to listen to "Boy's A Looker". His most ridiculous song, attempting to lambast Pop Idol when he is being revealed as just another lucky contestant in the early 80s NME managed Indie-Pop Idol Show. With Paul Morley and John Peel as guest panellists choosing who got to escape the dole and who had to get a real job in the real economy doing something other than Bread and Circus. Entertainment as Repressive Tolerance. "Marcuse is me!"

It remains to be seen if Morrissey can do another comeback. If he does, one can only hope he moves beyond his tired tropes and addresses the real existential dramas of being a Boomer Graveyard Multi-Millionaire entertainer in the Hollywood Hills in a way that connects with his non-celebrity audience rather than more nonsense that "says nothing to me about my life". That would be a sad epitaph to his later career when he connected so potently at the outset.

I've enjoyed listening to Morrissey and his contribution to "The Smiths" over the last couple of weeks as I had a comment bash here. But I'm getting bored now so will soon return to lurking and LOL-ing at the cult dramas as they play out. It's like a mad sit-com or Celebrity Big Brother. Thanks to all for contributing to the co-created collaborative revenge on corporate rock star whoredom. Thanks to those who gave us the Interwebs. And, in the days of Manning, Assange and Snowden, thanks to America for it's First Amendment and to DavidT for making this place a reasonable guardian of those foundational principles. "Viva America!" "Viva Los Angeles!" "Viva 'Hilarious Career Car-Crash Live Film!"

I'm going to see the film tonight. Excited and can't wait but is that So-called 'Superfan' Lewin in his favorite film? Hope not as don't want to see that arrogant fake fan.

---Don't worry please IBIH, I am me and only me! I am certainly NOT any part of J Barleycorn, thankfully nothing like benny, and WILL NEVER, EVER be remotely like BB. I am just hard wired not to be a bitter, evil, egomaniac. I am a fan of Morrissey. I first came to this site to stay informed about the goings on of Moz. Thinking that I would be surrounded by like minded people, aka, fans of Morrissey. I knew that there would be a fair share of disgruntled supporters, and had no illusions of absolute praise all the time for Moz and his actions, but never thought I would see the volume of hate and ill will toward him that I see on here. Its supposed to be a "fan site" for God sake. I hope that the fans of Morrissey who are just now finding their way to this site are not scared off by a 'few bad apples' and their wondering, seething, posts. Some of them far too long and unreadable. I hope they read old posts and new ones alike and see that the vast majority of posters are indeed the warm, compassionate/passionate, intelligent fans they would expect to find on a Morrissey fan site.
You and I, (and many, many others) are all to familiar with the aforementioned 'haters', and indeed either skim their posts, (because they are virtually the same everytime) skip over them entirely, (because they are too long, and filled with the same vile spew) or read them as fast as possible just to have a good laugh. Maybe we send a reply, maybe we don't. I do sometimes because a few words of sanity to an insane person really gets them in a frenzy. Its a juvenile thing to do I know, and I would much rather be writing about a particular subject of interest regarding Moz, but we do what me must. Add the fact that an intelligent reply to a lunatic's post is better than thinking that they have actually succeeded in winding us up. As if they could.
But try if you must, JB, Benny, & BB. I expect nothing less from you lot.
In the meantime,
Peace be with you IBIH, & all the rest of you 'sensible's'.

S.W.
Totally agree with everything you've just said shridan, I also started visiting this site to hear the latest morrissey news. I was shocked at the level of abuse directed at morrissey, I thought a fan site would only have fans on it. I suppose that was quite nieve of me but I had never visited an Internet forum of any kind before this one. I know fans will have different opinions and be critical sometimes but I find it bizarre that people who seem to hate morrissey so much spend so much time on a website dedicated to him. I can only hope most of it is tongue in cheek. Apologies for misspelling your name earlier.

Last edited:
Totally agree with everything you've just said shridan, I also started visiting this site to hear the latest morrissey news. I was shocked at the level of abuse directed at morrissey, I thought a fan site would only have fans on it. I suppose that was quite nieve of me but I had never visited an Internet forum of any kind before this one. I know fans will have different opinions and be critical sometimes but I find it bizarre that people who seem to hate morrissey so much spend so much time on a website dedicated to him. I can only hope most of it is tongue in cheek. Apologies for misspelling your name earlier.

Thank God! I finally was able to communicate with a 'like-minded', thoughtful, fan. Here's to you and I IBIH! Now get ready for the backlash. We both know its coming. Im just waiting for one of the haters to follow up our pleasantries with some kind of, "ah shucks, isn't that cute, they found each other" spew of hate. Sod 'em!
Keep being you, i'll be me. FANS. REAL FANS.

Peace.

---Don't worry please IBIH, I am me and only me! I am certainly NOT any part of J Barleycorn, thankfully nothing like benny, and WILL NEVER, EVER be remotely like BB. I am just hard wired not to be a bitter, evil, egomaniac. I am a fan of Morrissey. I first came to this site to stay informed about the goings on of Moz. Thinking that I would be surrounded by like minded people, aka, fans of Morrissey. I knew that there would be a fair share of disgruntled supporters, and had no illusions of absolute praise all the time for Moz and his actions, but never thought I would see the volume of hate and ill will toward him that I see on here. Its supposed to be a "fan site" for God sake. I hope that the fans of Morrissey who are just now finding their way to this site are not scared off by a 'few bad apples' and their wondering, seething, posts. Some of them far too long and unreadable. I hope they read old posts and new ones alike and see that the vast majority of posters are indeed the warm, compassionate/passionate, intelligent fans they would expect to find on a Morrissey fan site.
You and I, (and many, many others) are all to familiar with the aforementioned 'haters', and indeed either skim their posts, (because they are virtually the same everytime) skip over them entirely, (because they are too long, and filled with the same vile spew) or read them as fast as possible just to have a good laugh. Maybe we send a reply, maybe we don't. I do sometimes because a few words of sanity to an insane person really gets them in a frenzy. Its a juvenile thing to do I know, and I would much rather be writing about a particular subject of interest regarding Moz, but we do what me must. Add the fact that an intelligent reply to a lunatic's post is better than thinking that they have actually succeeded in winding us up. As if they could.
But try if you must, JB, Benny, & BB. I expect nothing less from you lot.
In the meantime,
Peace be with you IBIH, & all the rest of you 'sensible's'.

S.W.

Oh, dear. More lazy, narcissistic ad hominems. How tedious.

Thank God! I finally was able to communicate with a 'like-minded', thoughtful, fan. Here's to you and I IBIH! Now get ready for the backlash. We both know its coming. Im just waiting for one of the haters to follow up our pleasantries with some kind of, "ah shucks, isn't that cute, they found each other" spew of hate. Sod 'em!
Keep being you, i'll be me. FANS. REAL FANS.

Peace.

Well, I'm, glad you're happy. Now I know what REAL fans look like.

P.

Oh, dear. More lazy, narcissistic ad hominems. How tedious.

What I find tedious is the 3 amigos: ie- j barleycorn, brummieboy and benny the butcher trying to make themselves sound clever by using words that people don't use in every day conversations,instead of using plain English.i note with interest all your second names begin with the letter B, coincidence? .

What I find tedious is the 3 amigos: ie- j barleycorn, brummieboy and benny the butcher trying to make themselves sound clever by using words that people don't use in every day conversations,instead of using plain English.i note with interest all your second names begin with the letter B, coincidence? .

I don't think Benny the Butcher ever tries to sound clever. He tries very hard to be funny, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't try that hard to sound clever.

The 3 B's. They are laughable, pathetic, and just worthy enough to point out as laughable ad pathetic.
What a life it must be to live. If their primary goal is to try and belittle using their own brand of longwinded prose on this site, imagine what daily life is like for them in the outside world? Im sure they are going to tell us, but I see them mocking the person in front of them at a grocery for buying 2% milk instead of fat free, and then proceeding to follow them to their car spewing every 50 cent word they can think of as to why they are stupid of liking milk in the first place.
"Yeah, milk was good in the 80's, but look at it now! Its expensive, and is just going to expire anyway".

I'm going to see the film tonight. Excited and can't wait but is that So-called 'Superfan' Lewin in his favorite film? Hope not as don't want to see that arrogant fake fan.

I know what you mean! Haven't seen the film yet either but hope he isn't in it!
'Superfan'??? He is an idiot! I mean he is like nearly 50 years old and seen Morrissey about 10 times! He first went to a gig in 2009 and was too lazy to go to any before than. 'Superfan' don't make me laugh!

Apparently in Rome last July he Couldn't be bothered to travel to Genoa to see Moz and stay back in Rome to go sightseeing! I'm mean what the heck! All the REAL fans travelled to Genoa!! He is a really nasty and arrogant person and treated his ex-friends like garbage! He hates this website too with a passion! A word of advice to anyone he becomes friendly with please take extra care as he is two-faced etc..

Sorry for the rant but he is a horrible man

Further to my last post (rant) if you have Lewin on Facebook I strongly recommend you delete him. I have already done so :)

"Viva Brummie Boy, viva Benny-the-B and last but by no means least viva Johnny Barleycorn ! Born and braised in England, God save the Queen"

Benny-the-Butcher

The 3 B's. They are laughable, pathetic, and just worthy enough to point out as laughable ad pathetic.
What a life it must be to live. If their primary goal is to try and belittle using their own brand of longwinded prose on this site, imagine what daily life is like for them in the outside world? Im sure they are going to tell us, but I see them mocking the person in front of them at a grocery for buying 2% milk instead of fat free, and then proceeding to follow them to their car spewing every 50 cent word they can think of as to why they are stupid of liking milk in the first place.
"Yeah, milk was good in the 80's, but look at it now! Its expensive, and is just going to expire anyway".

Yes, the 3 B's. Barleyfart, Boringboy and Benny the Butthead.

Re: The Indepent on Morrissey and "Morrissey 25"

Perhaps we make the mistake of thinking the average 21st century Morrissey fan might have half a brain cell.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the 3 B's. Barleyfart, Boringboy and Benny the Butthead.

You forgot the fourth 'B'. Ban. How was it?

Gosh, we have suddenly got all brave haven't we, my little ones? 'Shridan', Playcat and IBIH. The three giants join forces to pool their mighty intellects. Tomorrow: opening a jar. I'll do my very best to do this in Teletubbies language, especially for you.

Your posts seem to be an attempt not to argue a point, but to close down any opinion that does not match your own extremely limited comprehension. It's very typical of those who have survived a modern education. It's almost a branch of political correctness. You can't counter a particular argument therefore that view must be suppressed.

Rather than the old 'play the man' (is that better?) why not give some arguments in support of your standpoint? How does he come back from the recent disaster? How can he hope to get a record deal in a modern music business? I've never seen any one of you address these issues, all of which Morrissey himself concedes. I don't know if you've noticed between tattoos but he's produced five songs in four years.

Let me give you a clue. You don't really know and you don't really care. I'm not sure you give a shit about Morrissey and his legacy. In fact, your interest in his career seems to begin and end with wearing the t-shirt. You do a good impression of being hangers-on, and not very sharp ones at that.

If Morrissey handed any of you a microphone you'd poke your own eye out. f***ing dopes. I get more sense out of my cat.

Gosh, we have suddenly got all brave haven't we, my little ones? 'Shridan', Playcat and IBIH. The three giants join forces to pool their mighty intellects. Tomorrow: opening a jar. I'll do my very best to do this in Teletubbies language, especially for you.

Your posts seem to be an attempt not to argue a point, but to close down any opinion that does not match your own extremely limited comprehension. It's very typical of those who have survived a modern education. It's almost a branch of political correctness. You can't counter a particular argument therefore that view must be suppressed.

Rather than the old 'play the man' (is that better?) why not give some arguments in support of your standpoint? How does he come back from the recent disaster? How can he hope to get a record deal in a modern music business? I've never seen any one of you address these issues, all of which Morrissey himself concedes. I don't know if you've noticed between tattoos but he's produced five songs in four years.

Let me give you a clue. You don't really know and you don't really care. I'm not sure you give a shit about Morrissey and his legacy. In fact, your interest in his career seems to begin and end with wearing the t-shirt. You do a good impression of being hangers-on, and not very sharp ones at that.

If Morrissey handed any of you a microphone you'd poke your own eye out. f***ing dopes. I get more sense out of my cat.

Dude, you should really add some fiber to your diet.

Back
Top Bottom