The Girl at the End of the World - James

Mountjoy

James are on target for their first ever number 1 studio album.

Remarkable.

It's a terrific album...one that delights me and saddens me in equal measure. It delights because of the strength of the songs, the innovation, the musicianship, the creativity, the drive to move forward and do something new, the warmth and the feeling from each track that everyone involved is having a whale of a time. It saddens me because it highlights how far Morrissey has fallen...post YATQ each album has had flashes of brilliance but their is a lack of innovation, a lack of musicianship (certainly from Tobias), no creativity, no obvious desire to move things forward, nobody, especially Morrissey, appears to be enjoying what they are doing and, most depressingly, there is no warmth.

I hope James do it...but even if they don't they are slowly making me reconsider which band/artist is really worth my time, my money and my love.

Remarkable.

It's a terrific album...one that delights me and saddens me in equal measure. It delights because of the strength of the songs, the innovation, the musicianship, the creativity, the drive to move forward and do something new, the warmth and the feeling from each track that everyone involved is having a whale of a time. It saddens me because it highlights how far Morrissey has fallen...post YATQ each album has had flashes of brilliance but their is a lack of innovation, a lack of musicianship (certainly from Tobias), no creativity, no obvious desire to move things forward, nobody, especially Morrissey, appears to be enjoying what they are doing and, most depressingly, there is no warmth.

I hope James do it...but even if they don't they are slowly making me reconsider which band/artist is really worth my time, my money and my love.

James updated and improved their forum recently. You can go to their website and join so you don't have to waste any more of your precious time and devotion here.

James updated and improved their forum recently. You can go to their website and join so you don't have to waste any more of your precious time and devotion here.

Isn't this the part of the forum for discussion of other bands/music? I think it is...so talking about James here would seem to be OK. Given that it's a Morrissey fan site it would seem reasonable to discuss Morrissey here too. In fact, this post in this place seems...perfect. I get that some people don't understand that offering a heartfelt view on something you care about that is different to the equally heartfelt view of someone else isn't a reason to be aggressive, passive-aggressive or just a bit of a c*** to that person.

Have you listened to GATEOTW? Are you a fan of James? Do you think that Morrissey could do with a little touch of what they have right now?

Isn't this the part of the forum for discussion of other bands/music? I think it is...so talking about James here would seem to be OK. Given that it's a Morrissey fan site it would seem reasonable to discuss Morrissey here too. In fact, this post in this place seems...perfect. I get that some people don't understand that offering a heartfelt view on something you care about that is different to the equally heartfelt view of someone else isn't a reason to be aggressive, passive-aggressive or just a bit of a c*** to that person.

Have you listened to GATEOTW? Are you a fan of James? Do you think that Morrissey could do with a little touch of what they have right now?

been looking forward to this thanks will check it out.

Remarkable.

This is what I was referring to when I said they have a forum you can post on...

Yes, I've been a fan since 1992 or 93. I have not listened to all of the new album, no. But, to be honest, what I've heard isn't that impressive. I think Morrissey is, sadly, finished. Excuse me for being a c***, I'm just a little upset today. Don't mind me, I'll f*** off now.

The new album has 3 stand out tracks, To My Surprise, Nothing But Love and Girl At The End Of The World.
Then there are 3 or 4 other decent songs, namely Dear John, Feet Of Clay, Surfer's Song and perhaps Catapult, but the rest is just not that great in my opinion.
I realise this is highly subjective, but the new album does not come close to the brilliance of La Petite Mort.
I am going to see them in May and I really wanted this album to be as good as the last one, but unfortunately it isn't.
Still, it will be a great gig, I have no doubt about that, their shows invariably are.
Full of positive energy, a very 'up' vibe, really looking forward to it.

The new album has 3 stand out tracks, To My Surprise, Nothing But Love and Girl At The End Of The World.
Then there are 3 or 4 other decent songs, namely Dear John, Feet Of Clay, Surfer's Song and perhaps Catapult, but the rest is just not that great in my opinion.
I realise this is highly subjective, but the new album does not come close to the brilliance of La Petite Mort.
I am going to see them in May and I really wanted this album to be as good as the last one, but unfortunately it isn't.
Still, it will be a great gig, I have no doubt about that, their shows invariably are.
Full of positive energy, a very 'up' vibe, really looking forward to it.

I agree with a lot of that. Not all of it but most. I think Bitch, Nothing But Love, To My Surprise, GATEOTW, Attention and Feet of Clay are all stand outs...I agree about Dear John, Surfers Song and Catapult. The rest is...album filler. I also adored La Petite Mort which I think is their best album.

I'm going along in May too and can't wait.

James - Girl at the End of the World

I downloaded this wonderful album from iTunes and I listened to it all the time during the last weekend. I was encoraged by the reviews and the videos on YouTube. "To my surprise" the album was released the day of my birthday and I'm a "girl at the end of the world", too. I enjoyed the album and my favourite song is Nothing but Love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: James - Girl at the End of the World

theres a live session on the bbc iplayer the quay sessions or something, playing to sat down handpicked 50 somethings who look like they have been dragged in from the b&q next door, suppose its all part of the promotion circuit, starts off with getting away with it, some nice sounding songs and good moves from tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03ppplz/the-quay-sessions-extended-highlights-james

Last edited:

I picked up the release of the Greenpeace live album this morning...it was released for Record Store Day. A lovely thing...it also came with a code for a download of the album. Would it kill Mozzer or the people at his numerous labels to organise something similar...Wolverhampton on vinyl with a download along with it say?

I picked up the release of the Greenpeace live album this morning...it was released for Record Store Day. A lovely thing...it also came with a code for a download of the album. Would it kill Mozzer or the people at his numerous labels to organise something similar...Wolverhampton on vinyl with a download along with it say?

You got it! Lucky! I didn't see it in the US and it's going for a lot on eBay. Would you care sharing the MP3's? Sorry I have nothing much to share, maybe some other live stuff from the same era if interested?

And, yes, I did buy the album. Got it from record store.co.uk. I like it and hope they come back to the states. I saw them on their last tour. Got the VIP sound check tix.

Back
Top Bottom