The evidence for a new album thread

Maurice E Maher

1. Morrissey said in an interview about a year or so ago that they (i.e. he and his songwriters) had written something like 13 or 14 new songs.
  2. He also said more recently (this year) that they wouldn't tour again until they had new songs to play, and in the last week has announced new tour dates (Turkey, Norway, US etc) for this summer
  3. Various members of the band have recently posted photos of themselves in a studio on FB (I think)
  4. Morrissey has been seen out at (at least) once concert in the last month or so with some of his band, suggesting that they are at least spending time together
  5. Any more?

hows about the biggest clue of all......he's a f***in' musician. Of course he'll release a new album but as i mentioned on a similar thread, it's just a matter of when, not if. Might be 5 years down the line, but there will be more to come from Morrissey. And all he does is write, he'll have stacks of material.

...just to put things into perspective, there was a 7 year gap between Maladjusted and Quarry, and a 5 year gap bewteern Refusal and World Peace. That's 12 years of nothing, and here we are 2 years on from his last album and people are saying he wont release anything else, its bonkers if you ask me.

hows about the biggest clue of all......he's a f***in' musician. Of course he'll release a new album but as i mentioned on a similar thread, it's just a matter of when, not if. Might be 5 years down the line, but there will be more to come from Morrissey. And all he does is write, he'll have stacks of material.

Perhaps this should have said evidence for an 'imminent' new album. Of course there will probably be a new album at some point, but the signs are that we will get a new album (or at least new songs played live) this summer.
A few months ago he said he wouldn't play live again until he has new songs - he's now announced a mini tour. Band showing FB photos of them in the studio etc...

Perhaps this should have said evidence for an 'imminent' new album. Of course there will probably be a new album at some point, but the signs are that we will get a new album (or at least new songs played live) this summer.
A few months ago he said he wouldn't play live again until he has new songs - he's now announced a mini tour. Band showing FB photos of them in the studio etc...

How people are still taking the man at his word is beyond me. We're all fans at the end of the day, but he does chat some shite. Just take the opposite of what he says and that'll be the truth. No live gigs, equates to imminent live gigs. New material at said live gigs, means no new material.......and so on.

How people are still taking the man at his word is beyond me. We're all fans at the end of the day, but he does chat some shite. Just take the opposite of what he says and that'll be the truth. No live gigs, equates to imminent live gigs. New material at said live gigs, means no new material.......and so on.

Yep, it's true, he often misleads us e.g. announcing that a concert will be the only UK date that year before then announcing some more. The point of this thread is looking at the various hints that we have of new material being imminently released or played. One was the announcement of the tour when he said no touring until new material (that can obviously be dismissed easily enough), two, various members of band posting photos of themselves in the studio on FB (not so easily dismissed), three, Moz hanging out with band when not touring (this is a little unusual for him but perhaps not unprecedented).
My money is on there being a new song or two in the live dates, and an album, or at least some songs, having been (or being) recorded this year, a record deal announced later in the year, with the album in early 2017.

He was more specific than that. He said that the Far East dates that had previously been announced would not be going ahead until there was a new record to promote. I took it from that that it was not financially viable for him to do a logistically expensive tour of smaller venues commanding lower ticket prices without the backing of a record label.

New songs are probably due, but the problem remains that he's a risky investment for a label, particularly as profit margins continue to shrink. It's getting on for 20 years since he had a recording contract reach its term without legal letters and/or public recriminations. On the other hand, with two films in production and the anniversary of TQID almost here, maybe the climate for him getting a deal now is better than it has been. If anyone's holding their breath, though, they should stop.

Last edited:
He was more specific than that. He said that the Far East dates that had previously been announced would not be going ahead until there was a new record to promote. I took it from that that it was not financially viable for him to do a logistically expensive tour of smaller venues commanding lower ticket prices without the backing of a record label.

New songs are probably due, but the problem remains that he's a risky investment for a label, particularly as profit margins continue to shrink. It's getting on for 20 years since he had a recording contract reach its term without legal letters and/or public recriminations. On the other hand, with two films in production and the anniversary of TQID almost here, maybe the climate for him getting a deal now is better than it has been. If anyone's holding their breath, though, they should stop.

Good point about the Far East dates comment, Cornflakes. However, I've a feeling that the tours are always (or at least often) done independently i.e. without the backing of a record company even when he's touring a specific album. Also, he said that the London dates last year would be the final ones in England until he had new material so I don't think it's a financial issue. He just doesn't want to be a nostalgia act. The fact that he's been hanging out with the band recently (when not touring), and that the band have been posting photos of themselves in the studio make me think new stuff is being recorded although that obviously doesn't mean a release date is imminent...

I think we'll for sure get some new songs. What Legal issues did he have with attack I don't remember. I thought he just finished his contract with them. I do agree returns on cd sales or MP3 sales are not very good all over

The band photos were on Twitter and/or Instagram. I didn't see any on FB.

Has anyone actually seen these Facebook recording studio photos. Boz has some recent pictures of him with the Polecats, but I can't find anything else. Not entirely convinced.

Has anyone actually seen these Facebook recording studio photos. Boz has some recent pictures of him with the Polecats, but I can't find anything else. Not entirely convinced.

Look at Jesse's Instagram on May 13 and Matt's on May 9th. I can't be bothered to take screen shots and post them here. This is the same week they were in LA for the wrestling with him (May 6th)

I certainly don't see Morrissey springing a surprise album. It's possible the guys are demoing stuff, if the studio photos are any indicator - and fingers crossed that this could bode well for live debuts of songs at the shows later this year. But if Morrissey got a deal and an album was "imminent" (say, anytime September 2016 and February 2017), he'd be the first to announce it on TTY.

I certainly don't see Morrissey springing a surprise album. It's possible the guys are demoing stuff, if the studio photos are any indicator - and fingers crossed that this could bode well for live debuts of songs at the shows later this year. But if Morrissey got a deal and an album was "imminent" (say, anytime September 2016 and February 2017), he'd be the first to announce it on TTY.

Yes, I expect it is just demos. I don't know what the impetus usually is for demo-ing new songs e.g. when have they demo'd new songs for albums in the past? Months before, years before? Were many songs demo'd in the pre-Quarry wilderness years?
Still, I think it's fairly encouraging, and I'd put money on us getting a new song or two in the August shows...

Yes, I expect it is just demos. I don't know what the impetus usually is for demo-ing new songs e.g. when have they demo'd new songs for albums in the past? Months before, years before? Were many songs demo'd in the pre-Quarry wilderness years?
Still, I think it's fairly encouraging, and I'd put money on us getting a new song or two in the August shows...

Recording demos of new songs certainly doesn't hurt a band in working out live arrangements, that's for sure.

Recording demos of new songs certainly doesn't hurt a band in working out live arrangements, that's for sure.

Or just remembering ideas in general, riffs with different studio effects etc. if he's actively looking for a label and has publically stated having songs ready to go labels can ask for demos if they're interested or he could be shopping them to labels for extra enticement which just shows general togetherness which businesses like. As for when he's recorded demos before I can't quite say as you'd have to define exactly what it is you mean by Demo but there are even here lots of different rough takes of songs like why don't you find out for yourself with the prominent loud guitar and I imagine some of them are band demos

People change their mind. Maybe he decided to do some dates without new material but based on what the OP listed there will probably be a debut of a couple new songs not yet recorded. But someone said maybe "new album this summer". Clock's ticking and an announcement would have to be imminent and release date set..unless he plans to self-release.

I'm trying not to get excited and expect a new album this year but DAMN YOU now I am. :guitar:

Can't wait to hear these new songs on poor quality youTube recordings, oh wait maybe I could fly out to Israel or Chicago from the UK to hear them.

People change their mind. Maybe he decided to do some dates without new material but based on what the OP listed there will probably be a debut of a couple new songs not yet recorded. But someone said maybe "new album this summer". Clock's ticking and an announcement would have to be imminent and release date set..unless he plans to self-release.

I'm trying not to get excited and expect a new album this year but DAMN YOU now I am. :guitar:

Unless he's currently sitting on legitimately the best song(s) of his career and demos are nearing completion AND/OR he's going to somehow cash-in on the popularity of the Steven movie - there's no way there'd be an album release with a deal that suits him before the end of the year. Maybe an announcement for a 2017 release.

1. Morrissey said in an interview about a year or so ago that they (i.e. he and his songwriters) had written something like 13 or 14 new songs.
  2. He also said more recently (this year) that they wouldn't tour again until they had new songs to play, and in the last week has announced new tour dates (Turkey, Norway, US etc) for this summer
  3. Various members of the band have recently posted photos of themselves in a studio on FB (I think)
  4. Morrissey has been seen out at (at least) once concert in the last month or so with some of his band, suggesting that they are at least spending time together
  5. Any more?

Hi,
I wouldn't get too excited about the studio pics that Mando and Jesse posted in the last few weeks. They were taken at Manny Nieto's studio while those two are playing on the new LP by Joel Jarek DeGraff, aka Mr. Sophie Amoruso.

Back
Top Bottom