Talking Heads' David Byrne disses U2 tour spending

The Seeker of Good Songs

Talking Head's David Byrne has criticised U2 on his blog, saying their world tour costs are excessive. He has also complained that he was jilted from a New York TV slot earlier this year so they could play five nights in a row. Byrne: "Those stadium shows may possibly be the most extravagant and expensive (production-wise) ever: $40 million to build the stage and, having done the math, we estimate 200 semi trucks crisscrossing Europe for the duration. It could be professional envy speaking here, but it sure looks like, well, overkill, and just a wee bit out of balance given all the starving peopl

The former Talking Heads frontman went on to reveal that he lost out on a performance on "The Late Show With David Letterman" in March, when U2 secured a five-night residency to promote their "No Line On The Horizon" album. Byrne: "Or maybe it's the fact that we were booted off our 'Letterman' spot so U2 could keep their exclusive week-long run that's making me less than charitable? Take your pick, but thanks guys!

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=43326_0_2_0_C

woah. if he ever got to the sort of level U2 were at, im sure there'd be someone jealously bitching about his spending all the time too. cus to be honest, it does just reek of jealousy.

woah. if he ever got to the sort of level U2 were at, im sure there'd be someone jealously bitching about his spending all the time too. cus to be honest, it does just reek of jealousy.

But David Byrne's work is actually interesting. And he's right, there is no end to Bono's hypocrisy. How many vaccine doses would $40,000,000 buy? Enough to prevent polio in half of Africa, I'd bet.

But David Byrne's work is actually interesting. And he's right, there is no end to Bono's hypocrisy. How many vaccine doses would $40,000,000 buy? Enough to prevent polio in half of Africa, I'd bet.

You're absolutely right. Bono talks a big game but when it comes it his spending that kind of money, it makes him look like a smacked ass.

Also, David Byrne is an artist who I think is on a different planet than U2, in more ways than one. Some/most of Byrne's music is pretty out there, but guess what...it's actually good AND original. U2 have just become a joke (in my eyes) over the past decade or so with these giant tours and sorry excuses of albums they put out these days. You're turning into a Rolling Stones wannabe but you'll never get there. Throw in the towel already Bono!

You're absolutely right. Bono talks a big game but when it comes it his spending that kind of money, it makes him look like a smacked ass.

Also, David Byrne is an artist who I think is on a different planet than U2, in more ways than one. Some/most of Byrne's music is pretty out there, but guess what...it's actually good AND original. U2 have just become a joke (in my eyes) over the past decade or so with these giant tours and sorry excuses of albums they put out these days. You're turning into a Rolling Stones wannabe but you'll never get there. Throw in the towel already Bono!

The wisdom of Skinner.:thumb:

u2 should just do shows without all the expensive stages, stupid lemons, glitter balls.
just the band on stage playing a gig.
the ticket prices this year as disgusting to say the least. i thought 2 years ago the ticket prices at £60 a pop was expensive but now they cost more than double!!!

all you hear about is what theyre spending on tours. if you constantly heard about what they spend on charity, the majority of you would still complain, saying it was U2 just looking for recognition. Poor bastards can't win, some people just hate 'em:crazy:

u2 should just do shows without all the expensive stages, stupid lemons, glitter balls.
just the band on stage playing a gig.
the ticket prices this year as disgusting to say the least. i thought 2 years ago the ticket prices at £60 a pop was expensive but now they cost more than double!!!

Indeed. I haven't a clue what big crabs have to do with music.

I've given this a few more seconds of thought. Why does U2 construct these massive sets that require so much additional work and expense? "Because the fans enjoy the spectacle." Fans: "Tickets are too expensive, not going to go."

Who is buying these tickets? Oh! Scalpers/touts. I'm so confused.

I saw U2 twice in 2001. They were good. They put on a good show. The Stones are a good comparison. World's best kegger band. Not worth $150 per ticket.

Talking Head's David Byrne has criticised U2 on his blog, saying their world tour costs are excessive. He has also complained that he was jilted from a New York TV slot earlier this year so they could play five nights in a row. Byrne: "Those stadium shows may possibly be the most extravagant and expensive (production-wise) ever: $40 million to build the stage and, having done the math, we estimate 200 semi trucks crisscrossing Europe for the duration. It could be professional envy speaking here, but it sure looks like, well, overkill, and just a wee bit out of balance given all the starving peopl

The former Talking Heads frontman went on to reveal that he lost out on a performance on "The Late Show With David Letterman" in March, when U2 secured a five-night residency to promote their "No Line On The Horizon" album. Byrne: "Or maybe it's the fact that we were booted off our 'Letterman' spot so U2 could keep their exclusive week-long run that's making me less than charitable? Take your pick, but thanks guys!

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=43326_0_2_0_C

waaaaaah waaaah waaaah :drama:

Suck it up, David. It's their money to spend as they please.

waaaaaah waaaah waaaah :drama:

Suck it up, David. It's their money to spend as they please.

Thank f*** for that, someone with some common sense. I applaud you!:thumb:

And for the guy saying that nobody buys their tickets except touts, I havent seen U2 ever perform to a half-full stadium/arena so someones buying them! Or do they just have a tout fanbase?:lbf:

Thank f*** for that, someone with some common sense. I applaud you!:thumb:

And for the guy saying that nobody buys their tickets except touts, I havent seen U2 ever perform to a half-full stadium/arena so someones buying them! Or do they just have a tout fanbase?:lbf:

Thanks, but it is just common sense.

Given these horrible economic times, I'm sure that the people who work for the manufacturers, along with the construction workers, transportation workers, and everyone in between were very thankful for the paychecks this "excessive" set provided them.

Think about the amount of money that is pumped into the local communities where these concerts take place...Hotels, restaurants, shopping, and all of the people working in the venues are working because U2 is performing.

Sweet Jesus, some people have no clue.

years ago I had to wait on David B. and he got good service but in his cheapness he left a 40 cent tip...picked the bills up which the change was sitting on so I'll always see him as a cheap petty bastard.

Thanks, but it is just common sense.

Given these horrible economic times, I'm sure that the people who work for the manufacturers, along with the construction workers, transportation workers, and everyone in between were very thankful for the paychecks this "excessive" set provided them.

Think about the amount of money that is pumped into the local communities where these concerts take place...Hotels, restaurants, shopping, and all of the people working in the venues are working because U2 is performing.

Sweet Jesus, some people have no clue.

People also conveniently forget that for this tour U2 have promoted 'more affordable tickets' because of the economic times we live in.

years ago I had to wait on David B. and he got good service but in his cheapness he left a 40 cent tip...picked the bills up which the change was sitting on so I'll always see him as a cheap petty bastard.

I don't get tips in my job.... and I like to think I give good service.... so why do you think someone who buys a drink / snack / meal at a set price, should then give an additional tip (ie pay more for their drink / snack / meal) to someone who served it?
Do you give a tip to someone who serves you a T-shirt or jeans?
What difference does it make?:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

I don't get tips in my job.... and I like to think I give good service.... so why do you think someone who buys a drink / snack / meal at a set price, should then give an additional tip (ie pay more for their drink / snack / meal) to someone who served it?
Do you give a tip to someone who serves you a T-shirt or jeans?
What difference does it make?:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

In the USA waiter/server people are paid less in an hourly wage with the expectation that they will be "tipped" for the service they perform.

I do not and have never worked in this capacity and do not know how it started that way.
But for a waiter person to not recieve, I think 15% of the check total, it is a slight against them, in effect saying, "your service was sub par".

In many restaurants, it is stated on the menu or somewhere that a 15% will be added automatically for service to a party/setting of, for example, 8 or more.

In the USA waiter/server people are paid less in an hourly wage with the expectation that they will be "tipped" for the service they perform.

I do not and have never worked in this capacity and do not know how it started that way.
But for a waiter person to not recieve, I think 15% of the check total, it is a slight against them, in effect saying, "your service was sub par".

In many restaurants, it is stated on the menu or somewhere that a 15% will be added automatically for service to a party/setting of, for example, 8 or more.

Yes I am very familiar with the USA's culture of tipping as a regular visitor (and regular non tipper:thumb:).
Basically the bar owners are saying 'we dont want to pay a decent wage to our staff, therefore we will give you customers a guilt trip unless you tip our staff for serving you what you are paying to eat / drink.'
I object to constantly having to buy an overpriced $5 beer for $6 and having to tip someone because I have the audacity to request something they are offering.
Why dont they just leave all beers in the fridge and let us customers get our own beers and open them with a bottle opener on the bar.....?
I've been in bars where I have had to try very hard to get served a second time because I didn't tip after the first beer..... this is extortion......
If the staff have a problem with wages..... consult their union......

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom