Sun: Morrissey wades into Falklands row

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody Sunday (Irish: Domhnach na Fola)—sometimes called the Bogside Massacre—was an incident on 30 January 1972 in the Bogside area of Derry, Northern Ireland, in which 26 unarmed civil-rights protesters and bystanders were shot by soldiers of the British Army.

You are f***ing moron and fascist!!!!!

What happened on Bloody Sunday, was (from the perspective of pretty much everybody I know) outrageous. It isn't, however, evidence of Northern Ireland being "occupied".

Try again?

Right. Your opinion is based solely on that of an undereducated celebrity. Well done.

1. The Queen doesn't have any such power. Northern Ireland remains an integral country of the UK with the consent of its citizens.

2. There are two countries on the island of Ireland: Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

3. Northern Ireland's devolved government is democratically elected and representative of the ethno-religious communities who make up its population.

Morrissey's understanding of nationhood and identity is steeped in orthodoxy and, to say the least, quaint.

Read more widely :)

Shots were fired by a mindless military,
The people ran they were unarmed
Across the world we will read of Derry
And those who died by oppressive hands.
—Cruachan, "Bloody Sunday"

Again, repeated references to Bloody Sunday don't really help your argument.

What happened on Bloody Sunday, was (from the perspective of pretty much everybody I know) outrageous. It isn't, however, evidence of Northern Ireland being "occupied".

Try again?

Your father was there with gun and bullets?

Morrissey, once again, reduces complexity to simplicity. It couldn't be anything as superficial as drumming up publicity for another pitch at a record deal, or could it?

He could have pleaded for negotiation, conflict resolution and diplomacy, but that would not make for a good soundbite and would not have generated the press he has received today. It would also have required him to do some basic research on this challenging issue.

The Spanish appear to have an earlier 'claim' to these island than either England or Argentina. In fact, it appears that these islands were originally 'discovered' and claimed by some old Pope or other. At least, that's according to an Argentinian site I perused:

'The Malvinas Islands lie within the area referred to in the above mentioned Bulls (1493). Therefore, “There was no need for Spain to discover the Islands in order to enjoy full rights on them, regardless of the discoverer.”

Presumbably, Spain the Vatican City, as 'independent nation states' could file equally legitimate claims to ownership?

http://www.aveguema.org.ar/historimalving.htm

The original inhabitants of what is now called 'Argentina' were wiped out, presumably due to 'first contact' with contagious diseases brought by the invading Europeans, rather than by any systematic genocide.

Argentina simply did not exist in 1493 when these islands were claimed by Spain and/or The Vatican.

Ownership of these islands entitles claims to any hydrocarbon deposits which may be discovered nearby and also a territorial claim to Antarctica. That is what this dispute is really about as far as I am concerned, and that is I suspect the British will go to war again if necessary. This is the reality of 'peak oil'.

If there were Argentinian-identified communities on the islands, or even a history of such communities, I would more readily accept the validity of a renewed claim by President Kirchner. As it stands, I cannot see that there is any basis on which to force the current inhabitants to accept Argentinian rule merely because of geographical proximity which is closer to Argentina than the United Kingdom.

It seems that Argentina has resolved most of its' territorial disputes with neighbouring Chile through skilful diplomacy. One can only hope that the matter of these islands is also settled by negotiation.

Another war would be a disaster.

Illegal? Are you Serb?

No, I'm a person who prefers to look at facts rather than perverse ideological bigotry completely without foundation in international law.

As for the Serbs, I should imagine there's a few of their top brass have found safe haven in Argentina in the last few years.

If you think you can support your argument, you should probably try that instead ;)

If everything is "Paradiso" in Northern Ireland, why this slaughter?
About semantics, why this piece of land is not called Western Brit?
Is it Ireland because of Irish people?
Hm, I smell occupation.

Which laws, specifically, been broken?

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that invading a territory and forcing the inhabitants to bow to your sovereignty against their will was a legal act. Silly me.

If everything is "Paradiso" in Northern Ireland, why this slaughter?
About semantics, why this piece of land is not called Western Brit?
Is it Ireland because of Irish people?
Hm, I smell occupation.

Strawman. Nobody claimed that, 'everything is "Paradiso" in Northern Ireland'; I said it is a liberal democracy, rather than a country under occupation by a foreign government and its forces. If you take time to read a book, you'll find that I'm correct.

It isn't called 'Western Brit' because that would be a shit name for a country.

Hope this helps.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that invading a territory and forcing the inhabitants to bow to your sovereignty against their will was a legal act. Silly me.

Neither in Northern Ireland, nor in the Falkland Islands are people being forced to accept the sovereignty of a foreign state. Democracy is quite active in both places :)

So, again, which laws are being broken?

Give Ireland Back to the Irish" is a Paul and Linda McCartney song written in response to the events of Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland on 30 January 1972. The song was released on 19 February 1972 as the debut single by McCartney's new band Wings, and it was the first recorded song by Wings that included Northern Irish guitarist Henry McCullough.

It was completely barred from media exposure in the United Kingdom, being banned by the BBC, Radio Luxembourg and the Independent Television Authority. On the BBC Radio 1 chart show Pick of the Pops, Alan Freeman had to refer to it as "a record by the group Wings".[1]

"From our point of view," said Paul McCartney, "it was the first time people questioned what we were doing in Ireland. It was so shocking. I wrote 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish', we recorded it and I was promptly 'phoned by the Chairman of EMI, Sir Joseph Lockwood, explaining that they wouldn't release it. He thought it was too inflammatory. I told him that I felt strongly about it and they had to release it. He said, 'Well it'll be banned', and of course it was. I knew 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' wasn't an easy route, but it just seemed to me to be the time. All of us in Wings felt the same about it. But Henry McCullough's brother who lived in Northern Ireland was beaten up because of it. The thugs found out that Henry was in Wings."[2]

The song reached number 1 in the singles charts not only in, inevitably, the Republic of Ireland but also in Spain, and despite the air-play ban still climbed to number 16 in the UK Singles Chart and number 21 in the US Billboard Hot 100.[3][4]

The B-side of the single, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish (version)", is an instrumental version of the song. The A-side was reissued as a bonus track on the 1993 remastered CD of Wings' Wild Life album. It is believed to be Apple records' only single to feature a vocal version on one side and an instrumental version on the other.

Strawman. Nobody claimed that, 'everything is "Paradiso" in Northern Ireland'; I said it is a liberal democracy, rather than a country under occupation by a foreign government and its forces. If you take time to read a book, you'll find that I'm correct.

It isn't called 'Western Brit' because that would be a shit name for a country.

Hope this helps.

"From our point of view," said Paul McCartney, "it was the first time people questioned what we were doing in Ireland. It was so shocking. I wrote 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish', we recorded it and I was promptly 'phoned by the Chairman of EMI, Sir Joseph Lockwood, explaining that they wouldn't release it. He thought it was too inflammatory. I told him that I felt strongly about it and they had to release it. He said, 'Well it'll be banned', and of course it was. I knew 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' wasn't an easy route, but it just seemed to me to be the time. All of us in Wings felt the same about it. But Henry McCullough's brother who lived in Northern Ireland was beaten up because of it. The thugs found out that Henry was in Wings."

Hope this helps, Strawman.

Morrissey, Paul McCartney and Wikipedia... that's quite a list of authorities on the subject.

I can see I'm gonna have to hit the books.

Neither in Northern Ireland, nor in the Falkland Islands are people being forced to accept the sovereignty of a foreign state. Democracy is quite active in both places :)

So, again, which laws are being broken?

I was referring to the Argentinian claim and attempt at invasion as being illegal :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom