Steve Lillywhite talks Morrissey and The Smiths on Mohr Stories Podcast

Steve Lillywhite was the guest on episode 172 of Mohr Stories (July 5 podcast at fakemustache.com, link posted by eddyjedi at atu2.com). He makes many mentions of Morrissey and The Smiths. And picks The Smiths second in his top 5 favorite bands. And says they are way ahead of the likes of The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. Also says one of the highlights of his musical life was putting Johnny Marr and Keith Richards in the same room to jam together. Jay Mohr at one point asks if he thinks Morrissey is gay and he hesitates and says "Morrissey is very shy and was celibate for quite some time but I would say gay".

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey is 'gay' shock! Well, I mean - I know it, and you know it - but now Lillywhite's said it in public I think that pretty much ends any chance of him coming back to produce another album. Sad. :(

Um, at no point during this interview does Steve Lillywhite say Morrissey is gay. Another hoax, another lie, typical solow, I can't wait until you're finally sued.

Lillywhite did say he's gay at the 77:19 mark in the broadcast. Free Jury choke on your bluerose.

Um, at no point during this interview does Steve Lillywhite say Morrissey is gay. Another hoax, another lie, typical solow, I can't wait until you're finally sued.
BS. Heard it, & Lillywhite essentially outed Moz. We're deep enough in the game, but it is what it is...

Sorry not until I hear I from Mozzers mouth himself - I still think he is bi with a preference for men

I believe that he is bisexual with a preference for men -

I agree. The more shocking thing about this interview is that Lillywhite doesn't find him attractive (but Mohr does).

And that he "outs" his underbite, which has been as much as a mystery to me as his sexuality. Now we know why he never open mouth smiles, and always looks quite serious or frowny.

Zephaniah correct however he has been seen with the same woman for some time this year. Bi-sexual but with woman.

who cares, He's Morrissey, and if there will ever be signed a labeldeal to do an album, I prefer Lillywhite. as producer.

'and they say he's mentall'

You didn't listen to the podcast.

It sounds like Lillywhite is giving an opinion about sexual orientation based on Morrissey being "strange, shy and sweet." It's speculation.

My own speculation is that Morrissey prefers for people to suspect he's gay. It gives him a *much* broader and devoted base of fans.

If he were to ever tell the world that he was actually straight -- I reckon he'd lose some fans -- they'd cry "fraud!"

A good majority of his fans think practically every song is written to be about repressed homosexuality. That says more about them than it does about Morrissey.

Yes, I've heard "Hand In Glove." And yes, it could be about homosexuality. There's also a good chance it's about a May-December romance, an interracial couple or a Romeo and Juliet type relationship.

He writes lyrics that are very easily manipulated to mean different things. How you decipher his lyrics is all about you and your personal view on life.

It sounds like Lillywhite is giving an opinion about sexual orientation based on Morrissey being "strange, shy and sweet." It's speculation.

My own speculation is that Morrissey prefers for people to suspect he's gay. It gives him a *much* broader and devoted base of fans.

If he were to ever tell the world that he was actually straight -- I reckon he'd lose some fans -- they'd cry "fraud!"

A good majority of his fans think practically every song is written to be about repressed homosexuality. That says more about them than it does about Morrissey.

Yes, I've heard "Hand In Glove." And yes, it could be about homosexuality. There's also a good chance it's about a May-December romance, an interracial couple or a Romeo and Juliet type relationship.

He writes lyrics that are very easily manipulated to mean different things. How you decipher his lyrics is all about you and your personal view on life.

I actually posted this article and agree with you. No one knows and he does use this to his advantage. I am starting to wonder if he isn't with Ms. Young...

I actually posted this article and agree with you. No one knows and he does use this to his advantage. I am starting to wonder if he isn't with Ms. Young...

If he was with her, she wouldn't have gushed about Tony reaching number 1 with Bowie's album just weeks after Bowie dissed Moz in using his image on the Playboy rerelease. THere's this thing in a relationship called empathy and loyalty, her behavior was like rubbing salt in Morrissey's wounds that first, he doesn't have a number one album and second, she has association with someone who dismissed him. I seriously doubt they are in a relationship, unless it's just for sex then maybe. But girl_most_likely makes a number of interesting points here about his elusive sexuality.

If he was with her, she wouldn't have gushed about Tony reaching number 1 with Bowie's album just weeks after Bowie dissed Moz in using his image on the Playboy rerelease. THere's this thing in a relationship called empathy and loyalty, her behavior was like rubbing salt in Morrissey's wounds that first, he doesn't have a number one album and second, she has association with someone who dismissed him. I seriously doubt they are in a relationship, unless it's just for sex then maybe. But girl_most_likely makes a number of interesting points here about his elusive sexuality.

tg;dr

There is more likelihood of the Smiths reforming than there is of Morrissey having sex with a woman. I'm amazed out how blinkered and in denial some fans are regarding his sexuality.

Well, and there you have the reason why Kristeen Young is his constant opener. It really works, doesn't it.

That whole podcast was very interesting to listen to. I also listened to another one in the meantime of a guy who met Morrissey in Camden, but I don't recall where I saw the link to that one. The person speaking in that other podcast mixed Lillywhite and Stephen Street up, because Lillywhite was married to Kirsty MacColl and not Stephen Street.

I regard Kristeen Young's comments as a distraction from the obvious for the not so casual onlooker. I got so much shit from people defending his homosexuality, it is ridiculous that they play the ambigrious shit again on this thread when it IS so obvious that he is not ambigious. He gets personally offended if you say he is not, which would not be the case if he were NOT gay. I did not want to see it when I went to the string of concerts that I went to, but looking back at those youtube videos, I must have been mad to go there even though my intuition told me not to, but then again I did not have the knowledge at the time that I have now, because I didn't give a shit about what homosexuals actually do and I thought that Morrissey was about something totally different and rationalised myself out of my intuition. Morrissey is however as offensive as any other homosexuals out there who should mind their own business more than give others shit and even misuse science to justify their practises and idiology. Stay away from them if you can if you are not one of them! And Morrissey and his buddies should stop making people waste money on something that he is not. They need the money to pay for their five star hotels, I can see that, it is highly unfair however. ESPECIALLY if people are then mistreated because they misunderstand them.

Some people would rather not have a label slapped on their forehead.Some people would rather keep their love lives private.You love who you love and that`s it.I think the magic of Morrissey`s music is that it can apply to gay or straight relationship`s.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom