Statement from Morrissey on True To You

1 May 2011

April 30 statement from Morrissey - true-to-you.net

I'm sorry I made the Detergent O Leary radio interview so difficult but I was in a foul mood, having spent a full week surrounded by the royal dreading. England may very well be a Windsor dictatorship, but - PR Weddings aside, it is usually quite bearable.
If my Front Row (Radio 4) interview sounded chopped and cropped, that's because it was. I had spoken fluently about the royal dreading, but an Iranian censorship confiscated all of my views. It is distressing, but in all manner of British media in 2011 we are only allowed to hear the same old thoughts and feelings expressed over and over and over again.
During the week of the royal dreading, Poly Styrene died. Having made an enormous contribution to British art and sound – at a desperate time when so many of us needed her, Poly Styrene's death was all but ignored by the British television news media, who instead rained hours and hours of blubbering praise onto Kate Middleton – a woman about whom nothing is known on a personal level. The message is clear: What you achieve in life means nothing compared to what you are born into. Is this Syria??
To top off all the pageantry, 'Very best of Morrissey' (EMI/Major Minor) has yet to tunnel its way into what we older types refer to as Record Shops – six days after intended release. The gallant HMV has yet to stock it, and did not manage to stock the 'Glamorous glue' single until four days after its scheduled release. In fact, the CD of 'Glamorous glue' did not EVER make it to HMV. With 'Very best of' I face my first ever non-chart placing – which I shall bear with dignity, although I could never be unkind enough to express my views on EMI's failings. It was John Lennon who coined the phrase 'Every Mistake Imaginable'. I shall not repeat it here.
I am delighted that the June dates sold out so quickly. Beware, we are looking at four more: Copenhagen, Aarhus, Helsingborg and Stockholm.
The follow-up to 'Years of refusal' is ready and fluttering wildly against the bars. There is still no record label and the years shuffle like cards. My talents do not lie in DIY.
I shall be in Perth – older, but no wiser.
With thanks to True To You,

Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chart numbers not required for the elite
Record shops in today’s world for stars like you are obsolete
Because you are, were, and will always remain number one … the best
Nothing more, nothing less
Your voice, words, thoughts, looks, lyrics … everything about you
With your heart so deep and true
All so beautiful, powerful, and you elicit miracles
Your visions channeling communications, correspondences
There has to be a connection worth the connection and there is
I Love You so so so much more than you’ll EVER know
And thank you again for making me laugh, you are legitimately hilarious
A natural characteristic not many possess
But then you, you do
May the light of love shine upon you
Wherever you have chosen to venture out to
Wherever you go now and forever more
And please remember the world is full of crashing bores
Unbelievable look who I’m telling that to
I live for the written word
The words said, written, and sang by only you
You Morrissey, you have never, never disappointed me
And it’s been a long, long, long journey
And, on top of it, thank you for all you’ve done … the one who helped me
The one, you knew you were one
I am running out of time, I haven’t much time left
So I just wanted to drop you this line, sending you all of my love
All of my support, all of my thanks, and all of my best

Peace

I must say that I find old Mozzer so funny in interviews! He always turns the interview round onto the host and always gives amusing, unexpected and prickly answers. He gives short shrift to people who do not know their stuff or do not do their research (e.g. the 'Meltdown' question) or just ask him the same old Alan Partridge style questions.

I just miss the good old days of his 'Q' covers and so on, when we could look forward to several page of Moz wit, usually prompted by Stuart Maconie. I fear people may be too scared to interview him any more!!!

How refreshing to hear somebody / anybody criticse all the hysteria and the endless wall to wall wedding coverage.

Has any other individual in the public eye stood out against the pointless spectacule that is the Royle Wedding? And commented on the media's continued bizarre arse sucking? I'd genuinly like to know, because I can't think of anyone else. If that's the case we need more REAL "celebrities" to reflect real feelings, instead of taught ones.

Julia oh Julia won't luckily be imposed on me during the upcoming tour. And neither will be other wannabe celebs who think they are somebody because they wear a corset and are thus admired by wifebeaters or "atheist" "neoegyptian" "neogreek" "neoroman" internet bullies. People who have achieved anything in life? Ha...ha...ha...ha... By the way, that woman whom he mentioned, her father used to belong to some aristocracy and a guy whose band he followed went to a Swiss elite school that was also graced by the likes of kings and queens and sons and daughters of people who are imposed on us through the flickering box and magazine shelves. I think it is more than well known by now that most "punks" were and are in reality kiddies with a middle class background. The masonic sleeping pill from New York is a good example, who earns her living by being a typical wife with a "boutique" that sells goods that nobody really needs because she is no good for anything else with her literature and farts background. Why people look for such figures for "guidance" will most likely remain one of the big mysteries of humankind. ;)

Osama Bin Ladin is dead, no thanks to you, British f***ers. Let us all pray that you don't need some help (AGAIN), one day.

Dear MORRISSEY: Congratulations on the nearing completion & release to "Refusals" follow-up record. You have no record label, because the record-business-machine is afraid of what you may say. Whaever your comments are, they are first, very interesting and provocative. We always learn something from them and sorry about the passing of one of your peers, "Poly Styrene", on 25 April. Condolences to her family. "The Very Best of"?? You know Morrissey, "The World Won't Listen"...so...that record is for your friends. Frank Sinatra and Elvis too had moments of dissappointment. But both of them never faded and were always welcome. You too Morrissey. "Whatever happens, don't forget me"..?? Are you even kidding?? How could we??? Looking forward to your new record, your best yet, and your Tour to CALI.....San Diego actually. May we suggest Humphries By The Bay?? Well known to many Brits for the summer concert season. Yes, B.B. King, America, Indigo Girls, Tears For Fears & more there this summer...Best to you Morrissey...Forever Molly & David g.

I find it strange that Moz should single out Syria (even Iran) - I can think of another middle eastern country that has dominated the news recently where oppression has been acutely more brutal.
That aside, I don't see any reason for Moz to apologise. I enjoyed the interview, and think Dermot didn't do too badly at all. All of those heaping pity on Dermot must remember he isn't a child, nor is he some fledgling rookie. He is an established personality perfectly capable of holding his own against awkward interviewees.

Just listened to the interview - I don't know what the fuss is about - Morrissey was fine.

God, he is embarrassing. It is amazing that Morrissey finds it necessary to release another "Best of" let alone it be necessary for stores to stock it or people to buy it. The latest release offers absolutely nothing to anyone. It's as if he thinks he could release a book filled with nothing but 200 pages of the word "Morrissey" typed in 10pt Times New Roman font and it should simply fly off the shelves- and if it doesn't, he should have reason to complain to the publisher and Blackwell's.

Moz, just get on with the new album and quit with constantly bemoaning your charmed life in the hopes of receiving empathy from those far less fortunate than you.

God, he is embarrassing. It is amazing that Morrissey finds it necessary to release another "Best of" let alone it be necessary for stores to stock it or people to buy it. The latest release offers absolutely nothing to anyone. It's as if he thinks he could release a book filled with nothing but 200 pages of the word "Morrissey" typed in 10pt Times New Roman font and it should simply fly off the shelves- and if it doesn't, he should have reason to complain to the publisher and Blackwell's.

Moz, just get on with the new album and quit with constantly bemoaning your charmed life in the hopes of receiving empathy from those far less fortunate than you.

What's more embarrassing is you, complaining about him on a site devoted to him. You sound like a crackhead saying, "I hate crack, it's ruined my life," just as light up another hit. Get a grip. I mean, what does that say about you and your pathetic "less fortunate" life? Surely, you're just jealous and empty. Think before you write. The trashy people that come here really have ruined this place. Don't bother responding, I will not look at this thread again, boring people like you make me throw up in my mouth.

In my opinion: Morrissey is Morrissey. No one can blame him for not behaving as expected. He is spontaneous, original and eccentric, but except the nice things that come out of these characteristics, he may sometimes be annoying, or -I don't know what everybody thinks-. But we have to accept him, because if he wasn't real, he would be another crashing bore. Be gentle and kind and show patience and sympathy. Just an opinion...

Surprised to read this post as I thought the interview was top-notch. It reminded me of Morrissey's media appearances from the Smiths era; whimsical, tongue-in-cheek and quick-witted. As one commenter pointed out, flirtatious even.

I haven't relished his interviews in more recent years, as he generally sounds bored and disconnected. But the Dermot O'Leary interview sparkled for me, and no apology was necessary.

what hope , hmv still don't have the very best of in stock and there is no chance of me getting hold of glamorous glue . so no wonder illegal downloads are on the increase when the only major record store only stocks chart orientated pap . viva moz , viva t'internet .

ps bye bye hmv you were good in your time

I enjoyed the Dermot interview. I thought Moz sounded in sparkling form and I enjoyed the "inter county" banter between them. I don't think he has to apologise for anything. Looking forward to seeing him in Plymouth and at Hop Farm.............counting off the days!!

I loved the interview. Played it again and listened to it on the headphones in bed. Morrissey has a beautiful voice. He was no more rude to Dermot than he has been to Janice Long - and he LOVES Janice. We got some fun stuff - about the "X-factory" and Simon Cowshed, and the band, (tongue-in-cheek), that he liked (The Stunners) but obviously were emlinated early on. "Did Dickens live by numbers?"...."I do the covers.....I have to do everything.....I'm trading from the back of a van".

The thing about newsreaders was great. Mary Nightingale IS annoying - was on yesterday and she still does the starting very quietly and gets louder and louder to the end of the sentence. Can't stand to even look at the drink-driving "Police Camera Action-man" Alastair Stewart.

I've been to HMV twice recently looking for GG and Very Best Of without success so I've ordered from Amazon.

There's no need to apologise for the interview Morrissey - I loved it.

Last edited:
Morrissey's apology is completely unnecessary and it bothers me to see him second guessing himself.

This was an enjoyable sparring match with Dermot desperately trying to hang on to a shred of his dignity, but good old Moz wouldn't give him an inch. And why should he?

Dermot clearly does appreciate Morrissey and his music, but that doesn't mean Moz will automatically give over to casual banter and be best buds. This must be earned. Dermot obviously didn't realize this.

Best part was going into "Girl least likely to" when Dermot snidely snorted"...never meet your heroes." and Moz quickly added "You haven't."

Ouch.

Never mess with Morrissey.

Don R.

I got a hell of alot of other things in my life that effect me personally to worry about. (...) It's embarrassing for him.
Consider editing and use "affect". It's embarrassing for you...

The reason the Very best of is not at HMV is that they are "on hold" with EMI. EMI is sending them almost no new product at all because they are not paying their invoices on=time. It has nothing to do with Morrissey but with the fact that they are millions of pounds in debt to all the record labels and distributors.
HMV as a company is not "owned" or controlled by EMI .It is a separate business . Like Boots or Tesco.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom