Singers whose voices get worse over time...

Maurice E

I'm not really talking about the ageing process - just when the tone of someone's voice becomes less appealing.
Bought the best of the Cardigans recently and the singer (Nina)'s voice sounds so much nicer on the early stuff. Really musical and pure. It seems like she's just become a bit lazy with her singing rcently (especially the last A Camp album).
Also noticed the same thing with Keane. On the first album, the singer's voice sounded wonderful. So much power and clarity, but on their more recent stuff, it doesn't sound anywhere near as good.
Anyone else noticed this with these (or other) singers?

morrissey for one. his voice sounds so much nicer on the early stuff.

yeah, sad but probably true. his voice still sounds great on the occasional song, but it seems to have lost a lot of its warmth - you can really spot the difference on recently uncovered songs like Lifeguard on Duty.

morrissey for one. his voice sounds so much nicer on the early stuff.

I disagree, Morrissey's voice got better with his age.

It was unfortunate that during 2008 and 2009 tour some gigs he wasn't in his top form.

Last edited:
I noticed a real difference in liam gallagher's towards the end oasis,especially live. it seemed like he was just shouting the same note the last couple times I seen them. noel on the other hand has got an even more amazing voice in his older age, it stuck out on the last two albums.

I dont think there is a big problem with morrissey's voice know that he's getting older. Its not your birthday anymore is one of my favourite performances he's done.

i really can't think of any that got worse...some that have improved, but none that have declined.

Morrissey used to have an interesting voice and now he has a
good voice. at least when it's working.

another (odd) example is GG Allin. his early stuff was very nasally and whiny, but his later stuff sounded like he ate glass and gargled with piss. of course that's because he DID eat glass and gargle with piss, but it fit the music much better

f***. Morrissey has developed into a strong crooner. Worse with age? No f***ing way.
His voice has warmth, passion, personality AND technical abilities. I honestly feel that he has steadily developed his voice towards this fine crooning ever since TQID.

Bono is one obvious candidate here. Ever since 'Pop' his voice has gone way downhill. In the book U2 by U2 he makes various excuses including the fact they recorded that record near a building site with lots of dust or somesuch, If i were him i'd just admit that huge worldwide tours belting out anthem after anthem for nights on end isnt the way to treat your throat.:crazy:

To me it certainly seems that theyve developed their latest songs to fit his new sound. From atomic bomb onwards.

i really can't think of any that got
Morrissey used to have an interesting voice and now he has a
good voice. at least when it's working.

Spot on, in my opinion. He is clearly technically much more adept now than he was, which also means that he sings in a different way. Which one prefers is rather a subjective thing, personally I like both, each in its way.

cheers

We should perhaps mention Shane MacGowan here? The poor man can hardly croak these days, for obvious and sad reasons.

cheers

yeah, sad but probably true. his voice still sounds great on the occasional song, but it seems to have lost a lot of its warmth - you can really spot the difference on recently uncovered songs like Lifeguard on Duty.

Totally agree with you about Moz unfortunatly, i do still love his voice - but definatly prefer the purity of his Smiths years vocals.
The other two artists that i have seen in the last two years who sound distinctly different are Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen. Not good, but then that's just natural ageing isn't it.

I disagree, Morrissey's voice got better with his age.

It was unfortunate that during 2008 and 2009 tour some gigs he wasn't in his top form.

i agree. Way better singer now.

and the GG allin remark:

did anyone check his "glamrock" songs?
I don't like the guy, but honestly... it wasn't THAT bad

Have to agree with the Mac comment.
I love Peter Murphy's voice too but it has suffered (some), probably from smoking more than aging. And last (and on this forum, probably least loved), Glenn Danzig's voice is nowhere near what it once was capable of.

You're right about Mac, Murphy and Martin Gore. But then Gahan's voice ain't what it was, either (ageing or some other reason?)

Back
Top Bottom