"Set The Boy Free" Review

terrancestamp

I have just finished the book in two days time. The book is a very easy read and I recommend for anyone who is a friend of the band. It was obvious in the interviews before he even wrote the book that is was going to be a "set the record straight" affair. As true to character he does not rip into anyone and if something negative is said then he doesn't even mention the persons by name. Exactly what I was expecting based on several meetings with Johnny and reading his interviews.

The Smiths section is the largest with the other bands taking as many pages as years he spent with them. He tells the Smiths story as more of a document of the facts of what happen and when it happen. He very clearly states that Mike and Andy where offered 10% and took it. Mike later lied and said that that was not the arrangement. Andy settled out of court long before and really seem to feel bad about what Mike was doing. Johnny backs Morrissey up in the court case and even defends him. It is clear that he has taken the high road. Even if he has not read the Morrissey book he has been told of Morrissey's feeling about the trial. He gets some facts mixed up just a couple of times (the US "Meat Is Murder" does not start with "How Soon Is Now" it was track 6) but Morrissey did the same thing. Memories sometimes change it happens to us all.

I have seen reviews where people are upset that Johnny doesn't talk more about his feelings, but he does throughout. I think they are mad because he did not talk about his anger or be nasty about someone. It does tend to seem like a whitewash if you are always happy with things. He did leave the band because he was upset. Johnny was certainly more positive than negative and zero axes to grind.

Again the book is an easy read and you know the stores but they are told with more detail behind them from someone who was there and lived it. Like Johnny had a friend with him when he went over to Morrissey's house for the first time. That fateful meeting was a three person meeting not a two. This goes on through out the book of telling the stories we have heard before but with more detail. I found it to be an inspiring book and an interesting read.

I enjoyed the book too, much more enjoyable than I expected after reading the "you won't learn a thing" comments.

What I also find a bit amusing is how Johnny takes throwaway comments as if they were deep and meaningful. The two examples are Paul McCartney with his "That's bands for you" and Bert Jansch with his "You will find another one" comment about his stolen guitar.

To me, they sound like "shut up moaning and let's get on with things" but to Johnny they seemingly meant the world.

Thought it was a fairly dull read. Great guitarist, poor writer. Find it hard to see how someone would be inspired by reading it but each to their own

I find this a strange response "how someone would be inspired"? The man came from poverty and created the greatest rock n roll band of all time. If you can't be inspired by that I feel bad for you. Never mind the fact that the guy ran a marathon. You have to be inspired to run a marathon. I have run one myself. Plus I feel a part of this story after all the encounters I have had with him and what a great guy he is. He even picked me up once in his blue BMW just like Noel.

QUOTE="terrancestamp, post: 1986985864, member: 2728"]
Andy settled out of court long before and really seem to feel bad about what Mike was doing. .[/QUOTE]

Andy settled out of court because he was absolutely skint and he was dangled a carrot to settle out of court. He knew the court case was over a year away and simply couldn't wait that long.
If Morrissey & Marr were adamant that they correct in offering 10% why did they agree to settle out of court?

Like Johnny had a friend with him when he went over to Morrissey's house for the first time. That fateful meeting was a three person meeting not a two. .
Not a new story, Rogan had this in his book. It was a mutual friend of both Morrissey and Marr.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture...cknroll-spirit-set-free-his-new-autobiography

Why the need to compare? It's boring. And then "cough cough Morrissey" instead of just saying it. If you found Morrissey's book overwritten and bad then it's predictable that Johnny's will be good in your eyes but why don't review it in its own right? In comparison with every other autobiography on the market? The book isn't bad but I find most of the reviews quite surprising. They mention its simplicity as a good thing. For me it's "simple" and "dull". There is an entire chapter on the merits of music awards. I know someone (cough cough Morrissey) who couldn't have such an opinion on awards without being criticised. Johnny tells in every interview that people got a wrong impression over the years that it was awful being in the Smiths. Actually he, initially, was amongst the people who created this impression, yet he somehow is considered to be authentic and honest.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture...cknroll-spirit-set-free-his-new-autobiography

Why the need to compare? It's boring. And then "cough cough Morrissey" instead of just saying it. If you found Morrissey's book overwritten and bad then it's predictable that Johnny's will be good in your eyes but why don't review it in its own right? In comparison with every other autobiography on the market? The book isn't bad but I find most of the reviews quite surprising. They mention its simplicity as a good thing. For me it's "simple" and "dull". There is an entire chapter on the merits of music awards. I know someone (cough cough Morrissey) who couldn't have such an opinion on awards without being criticised. Johnny tells in every interview that people got a wrong impression over the years that it was awful being in the Smiths. Actually he, initially, was amongst the people who created this impression, yet he somehow is considered to be authentic and honest.

" in which Marr throws himself into contrasting musical styles and collaborations to escape the jangling, chiming Smiths sound that threatened to become a cliché ".

Eh?
There was not a jangling, chiming Smiths sound on " Strangeways Here We Come ".
That was a daring musical expedition by Johnny Marr and Morrissey.
And if the sound of The Smiths was threatened to become a cliché nobody else would realise it earlier than Johnny Marr himself, let alone Morrissey.

And Moz and Johnny Marr both stated years later that Strangeways was their greatest musical album.
They explored new grounds and successfully.
For christsake, there were even songs on it without any guitar at all!
A Rush And A Push, anyone?

The split had nothing to do with the music and remarks from Marr disliking Work Is A Four-letter Word and I Keep Mine Hidden, I take with 2 grains of salt. One for each song.
By the way, these songs were not on the album and regarded as b-sides.
Never heard Moz complain about that, he didn't mind, even if he really liked them.

Strangeways was and is a masterpiece and a completely new base to get even better than they already were.
This journo deserves the in our circles well-known treatment with the wet plimsol.
I think Johnny Marr would agree if he reads this lazy, uninformed piece of text.
The remark is damaging to The Smiths musical heritage and biased.
Cough, cough Morrissey eh?

I found the audiobook to be delightful and it made me appreciate Marr even more......

Just finished reading Johnny's book and really enjoyed it.
I found it to be very well written. funny and interesting.
Definitely one of the best autobiographies I have read and I would highly recommend reading it.:thumb:

Its a decent read with some interesting anecdotes (my personal favorite the one where Johnny, watch Man City comes across another young lad, both too frightened to brawl) but in the inevitable comparison to Morrissey's it falls short.
Morrissey is a man of words, so it majes sense for his book to be the way it is.
The description and vocabulary make me feel as though I'm reading a character piece, a work of fiction by an unreliable narrator.
I love Johnny Marr, he is my inspiration on the guitar and always seemed like a decent guy but I think that doesent always make a great writer.

Back
Top Bottom