Security Staff Debate (don't beat us up!)

Marty

If you have been pushed/shoved/abused by venue staff you might have a little sympathy for my cause.

It's about time this changed. We can make it happen.

This is a copy of the email i have just sent to Johnny, who was beaten up by venue staff at the Doncaster concert:

I heard about your experience at The Dome in Doncaster on Wednesday. I was rather concerned about it.

Having just read your thread on Morrissey-solo, I'm glad to see that you're ok!

I was at the Edinburgh show and I was appalled to see young ladys, of around 5 ft pushed off the edge of the stage by the venue's security staff (and obviously injured).

Although there is not much you can do about the incident that you were in at the Dome (unless you find a wittness who saw the bouncer punch you), we may be able to change the law

I run my own club night in Newcastle and have been concerned about this kind of thing for some time now.

After seeing those guys in Edinburgh and after reading your story, I am going to begin lobbying the government for a change in the law.

I believe that the bands/record company should provide security for their live performance NOT the venue.

If you have been pushed/shoved/abused by venue staff you might have a little sympathy for my cause.

It's about time this changed. We can make it happen.

This is a copy of the email i have just sent to Johnny, who was beaten up by venue staff at the Doncaster concert:

I heard about your experience at The Dome in Doncaster on Wednesday. I was rather concerned about it.

Having just read your thread on Morrissey-solo, I'm glad to see that you're ok!

I was at the Edinburgh show and I was appalled to see young ladys, of around 5 ft pushed off the edge of the stage by the venue's security staff (and obviously injured).

Although there is not much you can do about the incident that you were in at the Dome (unless you find a wittness who saw the bouncer punch you), we may be able to change the law

I run my own club night in Newcastle and have been concerned about this kind of thing for some time now.

After seeing those guys in Edinburgh and after reading your story, I am going to begin lobbying the government for a change in the law.

I believe that the bands/record company should provide security for their live performance NOT the venue.

Spare another thought for the Security!! There was one bloke there, quite elderly with glasses, who was shoved around and fell on the floor. I felt quite sorry for him, apparently he wasn't even supposed to be working that night, bet he won't volunteer again in a hurry.

Hhhhmmmmmm I beg to differ.

I'm putting my 'legal hat on' and offering the following:

Firstly, the people being shoved back into the audience from the stage (even the 5ft females) shouldn't have been on the stage in the first place. There are a lot of electrical wires and equipment on the stage which could seriously injure anyone coming in contact with them. Would a stage invader sue for damages if they were injured in anyway invading the stage?

Secondly, if it became law that bands / promoters have to hire the security rather than the venue, it will be either the end of many bands performing live or ticket prices will double / treble overnight.
How many security bods were there at each gig? Currently security is done by local people on part time wages. If your plan became law, they would have to be full time security and the band / promoters would need to fund travel / food / hotels / clothing etc etc for all of these security employees. It simply wont work.

What should be in place is that each security staff should be fully trained, vetted and accredited (which I'm sure they are) before commencing AND members of the audience have to take full responsibility for their actions. So if you jump on stage, you face the consequences. No, I dont think jumping on stage deserves a good kicking, but at the same time, I wouldn't expect to be handled like a flower. Think of the situation from the security peoples side. They have a job. Keep the stage clear. Simple as that. Fail to do that and you lose your job. Someone jumps on stage, (with others climbing up behind them too) what do you do? Ask them politely to leave or push them back into the crowd if you cant take them out via the side of the stage?

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
We all know Moz loves it though that's the thing. When the melee began during Paris he exclaimed 'life!' and tried to reach those people so that encourages them. If the fans want to go for it and Moz wants them to do it then security should be told not to be so bloody rough! Pushing people backwards off stage - they could break their spines! I know they are taking a risk but its not necessary to be so forceful. There aren't that many 25 stone knife wielding bruisers making it on to the stage!

I got onto the stage in a moment of madness (perhaps i am trying to relive my youth , im 33 and get maried in 28 days) i have seem morrissey more times than i care to mention and have never had a notion since 95 to go near the stage . I personally thought the security were no where near as rough as they could have been , ok i had sore ribs but i could have avoided it by not going on the stage ... yes phill it is both dangerous for all concerned both the band and the audience , the people you clamber over to get up and the wanton disregard for everyone near you , but you do get caught up in the moment and i felt for every single person that even got close .

I guess i am trying to say if you put yourself in a situation you need to accept the concequences , if they weren't rough then everyone would have a go and that could be anarchy.

Part of me is slightly ashamed but there is another little bit in me that is secretly proud

I got onto the stage in a moment of madness (perhaps i am trying to relive my youth , im 33 and get maried in 28 days) i have seem morrissey more times than i care to mention and have never had a notion since 95 to go near the stage . I personally thought the security were no where near as rough as they could have been , ok i had sore ribs but i could have avoided it by not going on the stage ... yes phill it is both dangerous for all concerned both the band and the audience , the people you clamber over to get up and the wanton disregard for everyone near you , but you do get caught up in the moment and i felt for every single person that even got close .

I guess i am trying to say if you put yourself in a situation you need to accept the concequences , if they weren't rough then everyone would have a go and that could be anarchy.

Part of me is slightly ashamed but there is another little bit in me that is secretly proud

I'm proud of you too!

Mostly the security only do what they have to do in the job they are paid to do. JJ is right. If you jump on stage, you face the consequences. In my experience, mostly the security are professional and only use the force they need to do their job. Also, the more professional they are, the less they hurt you and the more effective they are at their job.

Just, PLEASE! Everyone! Keep going for it! Just be gentle to Morrissey, other members of the audience and the security on your way.

I have to say that the Staff at the Playhouse were excellent to my girlfriend and myself. We were standing just behind the 6th-ish row on the right hand side of the stalls. When all of a sudden some 'arse' tried to barge passed. After explaining to him that he could not go any further in this isle, he continued to try and climb over the row of seats in front of us. After this was unsuccessful, he proceeded to elbow and push my girlfriend out of the way. At this point I (unusually) went for the geezer as I was very angry at this point. I pulled the guy off of my girlfriend and restrained him by the throat. At this point I was punched twice in the back of the head by (i assume) a friend of his.
Now, usually security would throw EVERYONE out involved in an incident, however...as one of the security saw exactly what happened, he backed up my story as I told it to his boss, (big bald guy called Gavin at the playhouse). My girlfriend was very upset and did not want to be in the place anymore, so I explained this to the head doorman (Gavin) who promptly radioed and asked if there was any seats in the directors box.
So... we watched the rest of the gig with Phanie and Jenn from GIAC just above the sound desk. Great view and sound...
Spoke to the girls afterwards and their driver (who I met in London) and explained what had happened. So Jenn gave us big hugs and gave us some free T-Shirts.
Now, I have nothing against Edinburgh, but anytime I go there for a gig there seems to be an element that just wants to go and get as drunk as possible and cause trouble. I don't mean that to sound like i'm tarring everyone with the same brush, but if you don't want to see the show and just get drunk.....stay away. People pay a lot of money to see their hero live and it gets spoiled by the minority.
Anyway...thank you to the Playhouse and Girl in a Coma for looking after us...and Phanie D if you are reading this...I will see ya on my space soon

I'm proud of you too!

Mostly the security only do what they have to do in the job they are paid to do. JJ is right. If you jump on stage, you face the consequences. In my experience, mostly the security are professional and only use the force they need to do their job. Also, the more professional they are, the less they hurt you and the more effective they are at their job.

Just, PLEASE! Everyone! Keep going for it! Just be gentle to Morrissey, other members of the audience and the security on your way.

thank you ... my body has just stoped hurting ... and now its one week on

thank you ... my body has just stoped hurting ... and now its one week on

Same here, i've got loads of huge bruises all over me:(.
:eek:I just found out my brother is going to work for rock steady, i know he will make sure he will be at the next Moz gig to piss me off-even though i've tried to warn him not to.

Back
Top Bottom