Ryan Adams and Taylor Swift talk about the smiths, among other things

Ryan Adams Chats With Taylor Swift About Songwriting, Siri, the Smiths - Pitchfork
"Whenever I’m stuck when I’m writing, I could just put a Smiths record on, and it’s kind of like if my songwriting was an iPhone, it recharges it in like, five minutes.”

there's a link to the vid (originally posted on GQ Magazine, mention is at 2:45).

An anonymous person posts in the comments:

True fact: Taylor Swift is currently playing a Johnny Marr edition Fender Jaguar during her shows.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Ryan must be desperate for some attention. Taylor Swift is an atrocious songwriter, but she is very cute...

Actually i just listened to Ryan Adams for the first time now and it doesn't seem so weird him talking to Swift. Pretty dull songs.

Actually i just listened to Ryan Adams for the first time now and it doesn't seem so weird him talking to Swift. Pretty dull songs.

thats sad. ryan adams just had his best charting album in a while so i doubt its attention. hes just at that point where he can do anything he wants to and no not dull at all. his only problem is that hes to talented and can sound like almost anyone. does jeff buckley on love is hell, van morrison on on gold though he had elton john working with him on that album and when the stars go blue takes from cosmic dancer quite a bit, the grateful dead on cold roses which is my fav album of his, dylan on fire and ashes and is a long long time moz fan. you can hear him talking about his albums on a track from heartbreaker. his cover of wonderwall is staggering and i think was named one of the best covers of all time. his album rock and roll was just ok but anything other than that is magic. the lyrics to sweet allusion are some of my favorite. i for sure dislike taylor swift but after hearing what he did to wonderwall which is just an ok song i believe he can tackle anything and make it wonderful.

sweet illusions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RoDwZV6m2U

the words:

"Let me go I'm only letting you down
I 've got nothing to say to you now
I lose the feelings that are weighing me down
When I'm safe

It's turning morning all the birds sing
I'm not complicating anything
I'll have another then I'll go to bed
But I'll dream of you

Cause it's almost over
And it's almost gone

And I can feel the sweet illusion, coming
Sweet confusion, honey
Sweet illusion coming down
And I ain't got nothing but love for you now

You and I used to shine like a jewel
But times been nothing to us but cruel
So play it out and never played the fool
Cause you'll lose every time

We were nothing, we were only the past
Hard times like that don't last
I've been forgiven, I've been surpassed
By my heart
Have you?

Cause it's almost over
Yeah it's almost gone

And I can feel the Sweet Illusion coming
Sweet Confusion, honey
Sweet Illusion coming down
And I ain't got nothing but love for you

Love for you I can't use
And lonely nights multiplied by the blues
That I can't resolve

You never knew me but I did my best
I'm just lonely inside I guess
You gave me everything you really tried
Thanks....

If we were nothing and we're only the past
Then I'm just living in a dream I guess
A long black dream that takes me down the river to you

Where it's almost over
And we're almost gone

Sweet Confusion, honey

And I ain't got nothing but love for you now"

1. Taylor Swift has never heard of The Smiths 2. Taylor Swift is playing a JM Fender Jag because her guitar tech knew that it would fit her body...and she has no clue what it is.

1. Taylor Swift has never heard of The Smiths 2. Taylor Swift is playing a JM Fender Jag because her guitar tech knew that it would fit her body...and she has no clue what it is.

Yes, I suppose when you think about it she's a woman, so she'd naturally be totally incapable of choosing her own guitar.

yeah, these lyrics could let anyone down. But I just wanna say... Imitation is not genius or talent or does it make it an incentive for the 'music' to be heard/listened to. Sorry.

well i think successful imitation of certain artists does indicate a level of talent as not everyone can imitate or borrow from an artist so well not least artists so hard to imitate as many have tried before and failed. nothing is completely original, not marr or morrissey. to copy buckleys vocals or morrisons is difficult and to do so so well is a feat imo that indicates natural talent. i dont know about the lyrics, they can mean anything to anyone i suppose but if youve ever tried to save someone from themselves depression or drugs etc i think the lyrics to be very insightful. i say this from being on both sides of the saving at different times in my lifetimes. is the care for the person being saved and there attempt to be saved both just sweet illusions that make a horrible situation feel better. will they both say at least they tried because i love this person more than anything including myself. id say yes. if you wanted a more story structured song id tony toledo is pretty amusing and fits the music pretty well

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it when Ryan attempts to slip The Smiths into the conversation and Tay Tay just sits there blankly looking back, with clearly no clue who 'The Smiths' are. Haha.

thats sad. ryan adams just had his best charting album in a while so i doubt its attention. hes just at that point where he can do anything he wants to and no not dull at all. his only problem is that hes to talented and can sound like almost anyone. does jeff buckley on love is hell, van morrison on on gold though he had elton john working with him on that album and when the stars go blue takes from cosmic dancer quite a bit, the grateful dead on cold roses which is my fav album of his, dylan on fire and ashes and is a long long time moz fan. you can hear him talking about his albums on a track from heartbreaker. his cover of wonderwall is staggering and i think was named one of the best covers of all time. his album rock and roll was just ok but anything other than that is magic. the lyrics to sweet allusion are some of my favorite. i for sure dislike taylor swift but after hearing what he did to wonderwall which is just an ok song i believe he can tackle anything and make it wonderful.

sweet illusions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RoDwZV6m2U

the words:

"Let me go I'm only letting you down
I 've got nothing to say to you now
I lose the feelings that are weighing me down
When I'm safe

It's turning morning all the birds sing
I'm not complicating anything
I'll have another then I'll go to bed
But I'll dream of you

Cause it's almost over
And it's almost gone

And I can feel the sweet illusion, coming
Sweet confusion, honey
Sweet illusion coming down
And I ain't got nothing but love for you now

You and I used to shine like a jewel
But times been nothing to us but cruel
So play it out and never played the fool
Cause you'll lose every time

We were nothing, we were only the past
Hard times like that don't last
I've been forgiven, I've been surpassed
By my heart
Have you?

Cause it's almost over
Yeah it's almost gone

Sweet Confusion, honey
And I ain't got nothing but love for you

Love for you I can't use
And lonely nights multiplied by the blues
That I can't resolve

You never knew me but I did my best
I'm just lonely inside I guess
You gave me everything you really tried
Thanks....

If we were nothing and we're only the past
Then I'm just living in a dream I guess
A long black dream that takes me down the river to you

Where it's almost over
And we're almost gone

Sweet Confusion, honey

And I ain't got nothing but love for you now"

I wanted to like his music.

well i think successful imitation of certain artists does indicate a level of talent as not everyone can imitate or borrow from an artist so well not least artists so hard to imitate as many have tried before and failed. Nothing is completely original, not marr or morrissey. To copy buckleys vocals or morrisons is difficult and to do so so well is a feat imo that indicates natural talent. I dont know about the lyrics, they can mean anything to anyone i suppose but if youve ever tried to save someone from themselves depression or drugs etc i think the lyrics to be very insightful. I say this from being on both sides of the saving at different times in my lifetimes. Is the care for the person being saved and there attempt to be saved both just sweet illusions that make a horrible situation feel better. Will they both say at least they tried because i love this person more than anything including myself. Id say yes. If you wanted a more story structured song id tony toledo is pretty amusing and fits the music pretty well

fail.

Last edited:
It's all PR bull. Name dropping in a bid to gain artistic credibility. The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

I wanted to like his music.

Well if this were true I'd probably ask what album you listened to as they're all different and done in different styles. He has one album dedicate to hardcore and another that's the dead style folk rock. I'd avoid rock and roll as that album is boring and bland but try out love is hell as it might be more up your ally style wise. More buckly smiths relation.

As to ks thinking I've failed that's fine with me

Taylor is hot. Johnny is hot. Guitars are probably hot too, if played too long.
That's all I know.

I feel quite faint from all that heat.

Jonathan Swift was hot, too, I guess. Jonathan Swift with a Fender in St Patrick's? That would have me lining up for holy communion, and I haven't done that for years!

Dear Taylor, (boy do I love that first name)

That "stayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!" chorus? Dude, you were just channeling Morten and that awesome awesome song, which I terribly enjoy singing in the shower, personally. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVl4qvHuY8g

(faints)

You're welcome, Tailtail.

She's a very bland, two-dimensional human.

That reminds me of Russell depicting Katy as an insatiable sex kitten. Come off it, RussPuss. You're projecting.

If you don't see women as multi-layered individuals, you're not one yourself.
Russ! Is that the sound of your young girlfriend packing her bags? What, already??? I told you about the council estate one. You said it was too complicated, too adult. Well, there you go Russell. Hot and cold. :)

Open your chakras Russ. Open 'em.

Taylor, stay as you are. Meow!!

god. she is annoying. did he get a word in edgewise?
couldn't sit through her narcissism to hear the smiths part.

Well if this were true I'd probably ask what album you listened to as they're all different and done in different styles. He has one album dedicate to hardcore and another that's the dead style folk rock. I'd avoid rock and roll as that album is boring and bland but try out love is hell as it might be more up your ally style wise. More buckly smiths relation.

you shouldn't be 'fine' with it... look deeply..look deeply.. and correct your misguided ways... my lad/y
Now run along .

- - - Updated - - -

She's a very bland, two-dimensional human.

But that's what it takes ...if you want....the moooooola. SAD.

Last edited:

Sounds like he's tried everything...

Back
Top Bottom