Rolling Stone flashback : VH1's failed Smiths reunion Attempt

New story today, my favorite episode was the Flock of Seagulls since the brother was working in Oxford, NC which is about 50 miles from where I grew up.

Flashback: VH1 Fails in Doomed Effort to Reunite the Smiths - Rolling Stone
In 2004, cable show 'Bands Reunited' attempted to pull off the impossible
By Andy Greene

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing this several years ago. Good on them for trying - but there's no way in hell a Smiths reunion would've happened that way.

I remember the Berlin reunion which was nice since I think they kept going and I liked them alright. I always feel like these shows are staged though. Hard to trust

I remember the Berlin reunion which was nice since I think they kept going and I liked them alright. I always feel like these shows are staged though. Hard to trust

I was thinking the same exact thing. I remember liking the Berlin reunion quite a bit. In fact, it is the only one I can remember off the top of my head. I had a big crush on Terri Nunn back in the day. :sweet:

0.jpg

I was thinking the same exact thing. I remember liking the Berlin reunion quite a bit. In fact, it is the only one I can remember off the top of my head. I had a big crush on Terri Nunn back in the day. :sweet:

0.jpg

For some reason I just caught that one and it was an introduction to the band I think. I remember being surprised that they were alright after checking them out. I think I also caught the flock of seagulls episode on rerun but Im not that into them. Nice hair though. I remember liking the host to but it was kinda of a nice idea more than it was a practical one for a show. Any band that the public probably cares about isn't gonna be reunited on a whim just cause a cameras in front of them

For some reason I just caught that one and it was an introduction to the band I think. I remember being surprised that they were alright after checking them out. I think I also caught the flock of seagulls episode on rerun but Im not that into them. Nice hair though. I remember liking the host to but it was kinda of a nice idea more than it was a practical one for a show. Any band that the public probably cares about isn't gonna be reunited on a whim just cause a cameras in front of them

True. How funny would it have been though if after all the efforts and energy put forth up to that time trying to pull The Smiths back from the dead that this guy comes strolling round to everyone and they all say "Yeah, I'm in". :laughing:

People still think there is a chance of it today, which if anything is so infinitesimally small that a neutron microscope couldn't even pick up an atom of hope. $$$ may change everything, but not our truculent Mozzer. More Joyce dolls have been burned in effigy at Moz's place than US Flags in the middle east :flamethrow:

Last edited:
True. How funny would it have been though if after all the efforts and energy put forth up to that time trying to pull The Smiths back from the dead that this guy comes strolling round to everyone and they all say "Yeah, I'm in". :laughing:

People still think there is a chance of it today, which if anything is so infinitesimally small that a neutron microscope couldn't even pick up an atom of hope. $$$ may change everything, but not our truculent Mozzer. More Joyce dolls have been burned in effigy at Moz's place that US Flags in the middle east :flamethrow:
I just don't think he needs the money honestly or can go about getting it in another way if it comes down to that. It would be a funny scenario to imagine though. Oh alright since you're here I guess. Like i mentioned I the other thread though I'd be almost as interested to see marr and Andy play together again as I would he and morrissey. Much better chance of happening as well though he, Andy, didn't seem to have to fond of memories towards marr in that daily beast interview. Still musically I'd love to see that. Marr writting a solo album with Andy would be they way to go

I don't mean this as a dig at Morrissey at all and, for the record, I'd love it if Morrissey and Marr wrote and recorded new music together but I'd be just as interested if the rest of the Smiths got together and wrote/recorded new music with some other interesting lyricist/singer... say Neil Hannon or even someone like Billy Bragg. Hell, even a one off with Michael Stipe. Not as The Smiths of course- but as their own thing.

That was a good one but I'm pretty sure that they only did that one show. Terri Nunn then continued to play shows with her "Berlin" band which contained no other original members.

Haircut 100 was another good episode.

That was a good one but I'm pretty sure that they only did that one show. Terri Nunn then continued to play shows with her "Berlin" band which contained no other original members.

I don't know haircut 100. Hmm I thought I read that they were gonna do more but I could be wrong.

Yeah I agree as I liked even there instrumentals. I've no knowledge of drums really so I can't speak much for mikes role but I'd love to see Andy and Johnny writing together again. A new singer would be cool but it'd be judged a lot and obviously the singer would get compared to the morrissey and the smiths. I don't care for Bragg to much and I don't know if Neil would be a good fit. Might be to much of a comparison to the smiths depending on how it went. I know he's done some smiths covers and he talented though. Stipe would bring to much of his own fame baggage and comparison to the smiths and I don't think it'd be helpful in the end. I'd go Brett Anderson especially given Mars more uptempo rock direction but it'd be the same deal as with stipe. They could do a Santana and get multiple vocalists though and then all of those people might work. Bring in some of the people he's worked with as a hired gun. I'd still settle for Johnny singing. He's not the best vocalist with the greatest rang but he's already been out there and he's already gone through the I wish this was morrissey singing wringer. I'd buy any of it though of course

You didn't really have to like the band for it to be a good show. I liked all the episodes. Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Klymaxx were memorable.

You didn't really have to like the band for it to be a good show. I liked all the episodes. Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Klymaxx were memorable.

I don't know, I got bored as the format kinda makes a lot of the episodes feel the same. How many seasons did they make

Yeah I guess that version of the band toured with inxs and she was supposed to have an album out in twenty twelve and I guess her version of Berlin eye gonna release an album called animal in twenty thirteen

I didn't like that The Smiths seemed to be lumped in the same category as these "lesser" bands from the era. Like "oh we got Flock of Seagulls to reform- why not the Smiths?!" Not to diminish these other bands entirely but let's face it they were more gimmicky while the Smiths were the real deal.

18 episodes. A member of Information Society (???) posted his experiences with the show. https://web.archive.org/web/20071230112756/http://insoc.org/texts/BandReunion.HTML

Yeah I briefly read a bit about it. Two seasons. Mentioned the show got some flak for contractual onligations and had a link to this guys comments and the overall format. I'll check out your
Ink as I didn't trust there's to take me anywhere except his website and not the archive. I didn't feel like searching

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom