Radio 2 add "I just want to see the boy happy" to its playlist

Bloody C list. If I hear the Red Hot Chilli Peppers or another Zutons song on the Radio (XFM and Radio 2 AND Virgin) I think I will scream.

I don't think anyone really expects this to do well in the charts -- Morrissey included -- and the C-list placing reflects that. Perhaps he shouldn't be diluting his solidified status as a "legend" in the bizzyniss by releasing so many singles... but if it introduces more people to the album, and the tour, I suppose he's achieved his goal.

Lots of songs start on the C List and work their way up. This happened with You Have Killed Me and First of the Gang which both made it to the A list. However, the last two singles stayed on the C.

XfM have also added the song to their playlist but it probably won't get played much. In the eyes of XfM (and NME) Moz is no longer perceived as cool. Radio 2 is the only national station that can now be relied upon to play new Morrissey stuff.

If Boy Happy got some decent airplay (Virgin, R2 A-list etc) I think it could lift ROTT out of the doldrums. It's a pretty good, upbeat song without any really jarring lyrics. However, it will probably suffer the same fate of the last two songs. Still, at least the lack of airplay'll give Moz something to moan about on the UK tour!

Well, You Have Killed Me and First of the Gang both screamed "single", and the Boy Happy definitely screams another marital status/song suitability. Tish, it'll do more good than harm.

I hope Mark Radcliffe and Janice Long also will play the song on their shows.

This kind of news makes me happy but I'm not old and conservative enough so I wan't to be surpirsed. "Boxers The Return" anyone?

Back
Top Bottom