On Mike Joyce's Facebook page - Smiths Items for sale?

ATTENTION PLEASE! I mentioned in the post below that I'd been down to see Leslie at Salford Lads Club and while I was there the issue of fundraising came up. At the stroke of midnight on the 20th of October GMT I'll be posting the full details of what transpired from the meetings we've had over the last few weeks. All I can say is that it's a limited edition, so it's first come first served and all the proceeds generated from the sale will go to the SLC. Mike. Please feel free to share this post.

I hate to say this but the appeal to the diehard Smiths fans comes off more as a cash grab. Not that the cash is not for a good cause. It is just presented so coldly. "It's limited edition" man you poor fools you better get it before it is gone! It is almost delivered with expectancy of this giant market place that will want to snap it up. I hate to be negative about it because this site has enough of that. It just stuck a negative cord with me.

I hate to say this but the appeal to the diehard Smiths fans comes off more as a cash grab. Not that the cash is not for a good cause. It is just presented so coldly. "It's limited edition" man you poor fools you better get it before it is gone! It is almost delivered with expectancy of this giant market place that will want to snap it up. I hate to be negative about it because this site has enough of that. It just stuck a negative cord with me.

Agree completely with you.
I can understand you would like to have all kind of memorial and limited edition stuff. It IS seductive and addictive. I don't condemn anybody who does but when the trade gets in you're lost.
And it makes me feel a bit sad to, at times.

I made a decision to only concentrate on the music stuff.
Not that difficult if you consider the crazyness of it all and the money involved.
" She said: In the days when you were hopelessly poor ….......
I just liked you more "

Eh, what? Man raises money and all of it goes to a charity, and you don't think that's a good thing? I mean, if you could find a way to give a chunk of money to some cause you like, and keep none of it yourself, why is that not a good thing?

Eh, what? Man raises money and all of it goes to a charity, and you don't think that's a good thing? I mean, if you could find a way to give a chunk of money to some cause you like, and keep none of it yourself, why is that not a good thing?

Indeed. Should have mentioned the good cause which it definitely is.
I forgot. Sorry.

I clearly said it was a good cause. I have no issue with giving money away, I do it all the time. It's the "hey man it's limited edition" you have to get it and that is getting old. It's not Mike's fault and I am not blaming him. I have been a supporter of the Smith and bought the records and reissues and all the other stuff and at some point it just becomes enough. When is enough, enough? After being presented the 5th reissue of "Viva Hate" or the 15th. It's just insulting at some point.

Artist are artist but they are also salesman. We could get into a whole entire thread on Morrissey and his manipulation of people to buy his records. That is not a negative..I am happy to be manipulated. But all artist/bands sell something and the band and the record label are trying to get you to buy it. It's the nature of the beast. So here we are again for the 20 millionth time being presented with another "limited edition" gotta get it opportunity. It just gets old. I mean isn't everything these days limited edition?? It's a really tired phrase. It reminds me of the Cake song "Rock N Roll Lifestyle" where they make fun of just what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom