new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2008 (read-only)' started by Maurice E, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

There's an incredibly vitriolic attack on Morrissey in the new Word magazine. Quite bizarre given the Moz-friendly status of the magazine.
    They've let long-term, Moz-hating journalist, David Quantocks (whose based his career largely on slagging off Morrissey) review Greatest Hits and it's one of the nastiest reviews you will ever have read. A massive slag off of Moz and, in particular, his band.
    Quantocks is a deeply unpleasant fellow, always has been. Quite why Word want to sever their relations with Morrissey in this way is a little hard to fathom...
    I've always been openly critical of Moz when I think he's releasing substandard songs (That's How People Grow Up is, in my opinion, one of his worst ever singles) and Word has been my favourite music mag for a long time but I certainly won't be buying this issue and will think long and hard about buying future ones. Even tempted to email the editor... (http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/contact)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. starless

starless ★★★★★

Home Page:
    Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

Could you scan the article and post it here?

3. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

I'm afraid there's no way I'm buying the flipping thing!
    Guess someone else might tho...

4. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Senior Member

Home Page:

This was bound to happen.
    I was very surprised actually by all the positive reviews around so far, given the quite harsh criticism of the album around these parts.

Word have always been appreciative, so I cannot see one review is going to sever their relations with Moz for good.

5. Jones

Jones Senior Member

I think Morrissey's beyond all this now and that's why people like Quantick are so vitriolic. They know there's nothing at all they can do about his popularity.

I wouldn't worry at all about this. It's funny.

6. Kewpie

Kewpie Member Moderator Premium

Can you post scans of the article, please? :D

7. Brel

Brel Guttersnipe

By asking him to write the review, they knew what they were getting.

Just don't buy it. I always read these things in my Library or scans on here anyway. Have a pint instead?

8. MadameChaos

MadameChaos you should see mine

I don't read reviews so this doesn't interest me, I'd rather find out for myself. I think I know what I like better than some music journo from the Word or whatever it's called.

9. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

in that case, I'll nick one so they'll be two copies down.
    ha! gotcha!

10. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

The reviews have pretty much all been 3/5 (except, err Heat!) agreeing with most of the comment round here (i.e. way too many inferior-quality recent songs included).
    Word has been a really Moz-friendly mag so it's pretty bizarre that they've invited a renowned, long term, Moz-hating journalist to come and review the Greatest Hits.

11. Grim O'Grady

Grim O'Grady Banned

you could type it out & add your own amusing drawings/diagrams/flow charts to highlight the article? Maybe!

love

Grim

12. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

Just curious - what did Heat mag say?

13. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

Heat gave it 4/5. Very positive. 13 good songs out of 15.
    I think Redondo was considered the worst song, can't remember the best (possibly 'Everyday'). They even gave THPGU a glowing review in the single section last week!

14. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Moderator Premium

15. Corrissey

Corrissey lovable loser

Why does the mag want that? Why would they let this troll review it? Whatev. :angry:
    I'll have that beer instead. and a Twix ;)

And what kind of name is Quantocks/Quantick anyway... :confused:

16. Morrissey the 23rd

Morrissey the 23rd Banned

Home Page:

Praise then crucify, just follow this pattern.

17. Jones

Jones Senior Member

A lot of it's to do with "all pals together". A lot of these middle aged music journalists are all mates going back years. He probably rang them up and asked to review it so that he could get a few swipes in, and as they are mates they said yes.

I once tried to listen to one of Word's podcasts. It was one of the most excruciating things I've ever heard. A crowd of middle aged men giggling and screeching like teenagers. All very pleased with themselves and their own pathetic jokes. Not an intelligent or considered opinion between them.

18. Morrissey the 23rd

Morrissey the 23rd Banned

Home Page:

Email sent to Editor.

19. spleenhead

spleenhead Yes, I am spleen

To be honest it's only as bad as the Observer getting Paul Morley to review ROTT a couple of years back. He was bound to give it five stars. I find with anything like this, books, albums, films, you dig a little into the reviewer's history and it either turns out that they're best mates with or sworn enemies of the author/artist anyway.

20. Corrissey

Corrissey lovable loser

Thanks for that insight. :)