"Morrissey's retirement will be the perfect ending" - The Guardian

Good article (with comments) about Morrissey's alleged impending retirement. news to me, and probably to him.

Morrissey's retirement will be the perfect ending by Owen Hatherley - The Guardian
While all the other ageing rockers are reforming and creaking around on stage, Morrissey has decided to bow out with dignity

Also:

Morrissey Announces 2014 Retirement Plans by Todd Gilchrist - Hollywood Reporter. Link posted by yelahderaj (original post).
The 53-year-old singer says he started contemplating the move after "aging a lot recently."

Morrissey: Jag lägger av 2014 - Aftonbladet. Link posted by an anonymous person (original post).

UPDATE June 8, 11:30AM PT:

Uncleskinny also sends the link (scan of paper edition in original post):

In praise of ... getting off the stage - The Guardian
Though we will miss the music, Morrissey's plan to retire at 55 means he will at least retain the dignity lacking in others

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
"While all the other ageing rockers are reforming and creaking around on stage, Morrissey has decided to bow out with dignity."

Putting out Ringleader Of The Tormentors, Swords and Years of Refusal is NOT "bowing out with dignity".

Crap idea. What if any of the last five albums are the artist's favourite? Morrissey has said that Refusal is one of his so why should he stop? If you don't like them you don't have to buy them

Sad son,

Who gets excited over "music by Jesse Tobias"?

We'll let you know.

I am completely baffled. Morrissey has not announced his retirement. This story keeps going and going, though.

that was a terrible article from the Guardian.

if Morrissey had retired on Vauxhall And I, he would've left a resume beyond all criticism. if he never returned from his self-imposed exile post-Maladjusted, it would've made a brave, bold statement worthy of his legacy.

the comeback in the 00's, despite yielding a few gems, did much to tarnish the legend, not just by lowering the bar musically, by raising it with respect to his petulant behaviour. if he truly is retiring, while it is long overdue, it should be welcome by most at this point- judging by the new songs, there's clearly nothing left in the tank.

recently, icame up with an idea as to when an artist/band should retire- if none of your last 5 albums rank within your top 5 albums, it's time to hang it up. by this, Moz is leaving at the right time as none of Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, You Are The Quarry, Ringleader Of The Tormentors or Years Of Refusal measure into the same class his Smiths output or his first four solo albums, plus Bona Drag.

it's over and that's okay.

im sorry but you seem extremely negative about his career. As a fellow moz fan also said, at the time of its release, morrissey said on many times (including the televised interview with zane lowe), that he felt that 'refusal' was one of his strongest pieces of work. So why stop now ? If thats his decision we will all reluctantly accept it, but must remember the pleasure he has brought to us all.

And also, you're comment saying that if his last 5 albums dont make it into his top 5 then he should call it a day. He's only had 9 studio albums so surely one of the last 5 would have to be in it ?

The best part of that review was the song quoted.

Morrissey is going to retire when he's ready to retire. He doesn't need The Guardian manipulatively dictating his career moves based on a light joke lost in black and white translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite like the last 3 albums. Not as much as his previous stuff but pretty good. Rumors of retirement would scare me if the latest songs were any good but they are awful so maybe retirement wouldn't be a bad thing. Then again they are just rumors. Tired of the gimmicky outfits, album artwork and constant re releases.

Crap idea. What if any of the last five albums are the artist's favourite? Morrissey has said that Refusal is one of his so why should he stop? If you don't like them you don't have to buy them

I know he said that... and that ain't helping.

I hope Morrissey goes on forever.Why does age have anything to do with it?Morrissey`s work is a million times better then all the crap that is done by younger performers.It`s not disposable and meaningless.

You'll miss him when he's gone. He could be another Syd Barrett...a recluse... and in Stephen's case retire to that "ottage in Somerset", like he always said he would.....

Personally, i hope he turns his talents to writing literature or non-fiction books on his favourite music icons. He still has alot to offer, but maybe in another direction. One final world tour (2014) of the re-united Smiths would be a perfect way to end his career and a fitting farewell to the band.....

I think a Moz retirement is wishful thinking on the writer's part based on a casual comment by Moz in an interview. There is no reason for him to retire. He's still a vital artist who takes chances, and his last disc is one of his best. Still sings great too. Retirement is pointless. Even Sinatra realized that.

Never took seriously what the nincompoops at the substandard UK publication the Guardian have to say anyway. Nobody cares about it anyway, when there are superior publications out there like the NME, Uncut, Mojo, etc.

Morrissey's last three albums have been as fine as any solo album he's released. He returned with grace on YATQ, towered above all others with the sublime ROTT and released the punchy big brother of Your Arsenal with YOR. He should drop one more solid album and then bow out with grace, as there would be nothing left for him to prove to his detractors

I 2nd the views of CrystalGeezer and Tibby !!!!!!!! Moz still enjoys singing & entertaining by the looks of this last tour . The Guardian article is utter rubbish !

Morrissey might have aged but he hasn't lost his touch. If he wants to go it's up to him anyway. I once thought that Boz dressed as a woman was supossed to be 'the fat lady sings' act, I don't mean Boz is fat, in fact he's one of the greatest guitar player I've ever seen live, but I can't see any other reason other than just... and now the final date in Scotland! Where it all started back in 2011! Looks like a complete cycle to me. :(

I don't know about retirement, but maybe he should take a few years off now he has replenished the pension plan. I think he looks tired, tubby, and due for a rest. This almost perma-tour must be knackering, especially as he is he only one who can't have an off night. No hiding for the name on the marquee.

The last time he took a decent time away he returned with the imperious YATQ. Perhaps he has another final masterpiece to give us before he hits sixty.

Hatherley gives himself away in his first sentance when he refers to Moz losing his powers in 1987. If you believe that his career began and ended with the Smiths then ofcourse, your gonna think he should retire. There's only one reason for him to retire, that he believes he no longer has anything to offer as an artist (Ofcourse, he just may want to retire and that would be fair enough).
If, on the other hand, you think he is defined by the body of work he has produced over his whole career and still enjoy his output as a composer and performer, then there is no reason on earth why he should stop.
This age stuff is bollox. Could you imagine Zappa, Sinatra, Neil Young (and many many more) stopping work because of age?

The Guardilol

Morrissey might have aged but he hasn't lost his touch. If he wants to go it's up to him anyway. I once thought that Boz dressed as a woman was supossed to be 'the fat lady sings' act, I don't mean Boz is fat, in fact he's one of the greatest guitar player I've ever seen live, but I can't see any other reason other than just... and now the final date in Scotland! Where it all started back in 2011! Looks like a complete cycle to me. :(
It said last european date of 2012!!!

I believe that he'll change his mind a million times.
By the way, didn't he say the same thing before?

Oh dear the in 1987, shortly before his powers left him has caused some furore.

Anyone would have thought the journalist was completely unaware of the reaction such wording would have caused. 7 pages of comments later, and increased advertising revenue from the amount of "hits" generated I'm sure he and his paymasters are quite happy. Seemingly the journalist has listened to later Morrissey tracks:

But for a few years around the end of the 1990s and start of the 2000s – when he seemed to have gone into semi-retirement pursued by litigants, like the protagonist of an Ealing comedy – he refused to fade. Instead, he wrote the same songs about thwarted ambition and loneliness well into his 50s, as if he were still composing from a "rented room in Whalley Range", rather than, say, Los Angeles

And is fully aware of Morrissey as an artist/ pop star. .. anyway the gist of the article was about aging rock acts not retiring with dignity. Some fo the comments suggest otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom