Morrissey to Uniqlo: 'Mulesing Is Misery'

Wendy / PETA.org writes:

I thought you might be interested in the letter that Morrissey has just fired off on PETA Asia's behalf to Tokyo-based international clothing retailer Uniqlo. As you can see from the letter below, Moz—who finished up his Japanese tour today—is asking Uniqlo to follow the lead of H&M, Gap Inc., Abercrombie & Fitch, and the other companies who have moved away from using wool from Australian farmers who mutilate sheep in a practice called "mulesing," in which large chunks of skin and flesh are cut from lambs' backsides in a crude, cruel, and ineffective attempt to prevent maggot infestation.

"Years ago, I wrote a song called 'Meat Is Murder', and today I'm tempted to write a follow-up called 'Mulesing Is Misery,'" writes Morrissey. "Australia [is] the only country in the world that still clings to this cruel and barbaric abomination. Won't you please join the many international companies that have implemented a ban on wool from mulesed lambs?"

Morrissey's letter follows and is also available here.

Tadashi Yanai
President
Fast Retailing
[email protected]

Dear Mr Yanai,

On behalf of my friends at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Asia, I am writing to ask you to put an end to Uniqlo's use of wool from Australian farmers who persist in mutilating sheep using a technique called "mulesing" in order to prevent a maggot infestation known as "flystrike". Flystrike-prevention methods that don't involve maiming animals are available and in use by some sheep farmers.

Years ago, I wrote a song called "Meat Is Murder", and today I'm tempted to write a follow-up called "Mulesing Is Misery". Shears are used to cut huge chunks of skin and flesh from lambs' backsides with little to no painkillers. The idea is to create a smooth scar that will not collect urine and faeces, which attract flies, but the gaping, bloody wounds often become infested with maggots before they have time to heal. Moreover, humane options do exist, and a number of Australian wool farmers have already stopped mulesing and instead have simply improved their husbandry practices, including crutching and jetting more frequently, closely monitoring sheep during fly season and breeding bare-breech sheep. New Zealand farmers did away with mulesing nearly a decade ago, leaving Australia as the only country in the world that still clings to this cruel and barbaric abomination.

Won't you please join the many international companies that have implemented a ban on wool from mulesed lambs? China's Sunshine Group, which is Australia's largest wool buyer, has demanded that Australian wool growers put an end to mulesing, citing increasing requests from clients that it provide products made from the wool of sheep who weren't mulesed.

I hope to hear from you soon that Uniqlo will buy wool only from farmers who have stopped mutilating sheep altogether.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Morrissey

morrissey_to_uniqlo_japan_april_2012.jpg

Last edited:
I'd argue that, in real terms, he isn't hurting his fanbase. From what I've read in the "Tour" threads, there are a number of shows scheduled quite close to the Canadian border . I presume Moz won't be checking passports at the door. This seems to me a lovely compromise - the state itself wears his wrath while Canadian fans are still able to attend shows (relatively) close to home.

Hmm, following the Davidt ban incident , maybe Moz will be checking IDs ... ? Maybe everyone should show up wearing Davidt masks, much like the Fawkes face in "V for Vendetta" ?

Or maybe Morrissey could just show some humility, pull the stick out of his ass and put his ego in a drawer somewhere and go out and perform for the people who have kept his career afloat for the last 30 years whether or not he agrees with them politically, morally, or whether or not they think his band or new material is up to standards.

I've also started to believe Morrissey doesn't really like playing Canada, and the seal-hunting bit was just a convenient excuse.

But talk shit about Mexico or Japan? Nooooooo.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom