Morrissey cancels Jimmy Kimmel appearance 2/26 over scheduled guest Duck Dynasty

Posted on the official Morrissey Facebook page:

"Morrissey is thankful for being invited to perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live tomorrow, February 26. However, he cannot morally be on a television program where the cast members of Duck Dynasty will also be guests. Morrissey would be honored to play the show, if Duck Dynasty were removed."

UPDATE 9:00 PM PT:

MORRIZSEY posted the link to the press statement on true-to-you.net now, with the additional text:

Morrissey stated, "As far as my reputation is concerned, I can't take the risk of being on a show alongside people who, in effect, amount to animal serial killers. If Jimmy cannot dump Duck Dynasty then we must step away."

UPDATE 5:05PM PT:

The Jimmy Kimmel Live page is listing "Churchill" as the musical guest on the 26th along with guests Terrence Howard and the Duck Dynasty family.

Show info from the Duck Dynasty page on A&E:

A&E's most-watched series, Duck Dynasty, is back for a third season. The show features a Louisiana bayou family living the American dream as they operate a thriving business while staying true to their family values and lifestyle.

...Some of what's to come this season on Duck Dynasty: Willie tries to lose weight for his high school reunion, Jase and Willie take Missy and Korie deer hunting, the guys rough it in the woods for opening day of duck season, and Si looks for a canine companion.

duckdynasty.jpg

UPDATE Feb. 26, 6:30PM PT:

DavidMich posts:

Duck Dynasty responded on Larry King by saying, "Who is Morrissey?" They were actually very nice and civil about it:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/460949

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey cancels Jimmy Kimmel appearance 2/26 over scheduled guest Duck

I'm pretty disappointed that he's canceling for such a reason. I read a comment on facebook that summed it up perfectly for me, "It's like inviting somebody into your home for a dinner party and they say the only way they'll attend is if you uninvite so-and-so. It's my goddamn house and I'll invite whoever I choose." I don't know, it just seems incredibly rude.

That's a pretty ugly thing to say about someone you don't even know. Lighten up, guy.

But all true Morrissey fans know Morrissey. It's an intimate relationship that surpasses all other known human bonds. Didn't you get the memo?

Re: Article: Morrissey cancels Jimmy Kimmel appearance 2/26 over scheduled guest Duck

hey all I see the new dates but on TicketMaster next to Flint, MI it says CANCELLED. Anyone have news on this since its posted as happening on FB....Hell I dont care I am going to Atlanta...I just wonder what the drama is about Flint!!!!!!

TTY Statement -

25 February 2013

Press statement:

Morrissey is thankful for being invited to perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live tomorrow, February 26. However, he cannot morally be on a television program where the cast members of Duck Dynasty will also be guests. Morrissey would be honored to play the show, if Duck Dynasty were removed.

Morrissey stated, "As far as my reputation is concerned, I can't take the risk of being on a show alongside people who, in effect, amount to animal serial killers. If Jimmy cannot dump Duck Dynasty then we must step away."

TTY Statement -

25 February 2013

Press statement:

Morrissey is thankful for being invited to perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live tomorrow, February 26. However, he cannot morally be on a television program where the cast members of Duck Dynasty will also be guests. Morrissey would be honored to play the show, if Duck Dynasty were removed.

Good for him!!! I'm glad he cancelled because of that reason. Many of us support his decision - I know I do.

I have never watched this show - are they the same ones who go out and mercilessly kill alligators? I saw a commercial for a show like that last summer and it made me sick. That show and the food show - I don't know the name of it, either, but the host goes around and eats sheep brains and that sort of thing. Horrible and wretched.

I don't blame him if he does cancel. I would, too.

I think that's a different show... either on A&E or the History Channel. It might be a spinoff. I wouldn't know... I cancelled my cable subscription long ago. These kind of shows seem to be flourishing, so someone must be watching them (my idiotic American countrymen). TV in this country is not only mind-numbing and worthless, but actively evil and annoying. If it's not some 24-hour news channel propaganda, it's something that will make you sick to your stomach.

Last edited by a moderator:

I regulary watch Duck Dynasty...it is about a family in Lousiana, USA that has become wealthy by selling duck calls...a "dog whistle" so to speak, for attractings ducks...to be hunted (shot). I do not recall any killing being done on the show, except for fishing and frog collecting, though a catch phrase of the show is that duck hunting makes them "Happy Happy Happy." The family members are self described rednecks and are proud of it. Most of the show is a "put on" in my opinion because if not, they would not be wealthy because no work gets done. The show is about the family and their dynamic. The family patriarc, also the one who invented the special duck call, is also a Born Again Christian and preacher, though no bible thumping is done. The closest to it is at the end of each episode, the extended family gathers around the table and a prayer is said, thanking God for his blessings upon the family. I have no personal knowlege of the family, but I would think that they would be polite and friendly to Morrissey if they were to be on the show (Kimmel) together. They would accept Morrissey but would disagree with his vegetarianism but also defend his rights to live as one.

Simple question, what Idiot scheduled these two guests on the same show? I'm sure 98% of the time which guests end up together is not an issue of any kind, but Morrissey's thoughts on animal rights are not exactly obscure.

Tangentially, I'm amazed at the range of TV in America -- from some of the best written drama in the world to absolute garbage like the show in question.

Simple question, what Idiot scheduled these two guests on the same show? I'm sure 98% of the time which guests end up together is not an issue of any kind, but Morrissey's thoughts on animal rights are not exactly obscure.

Tangentially, I'm amazed at the range of TV in America -- from some of the best written drama in the world to absolute garbage like the show in question.

Why do you call the show garbage? Have you seen it? It's simply people living their lives; perhaps in a bit of a ridiculous way but is it simply a tv show...I would agree that it is not nearly as educational as some of those Japanese game shows we get a view of from time to time.

Wasn't it Morrissey who said once that he respected people that actually go out an kill the animal and take it through the whole process as opposed to people who simply buy their flesh from the grocery store. Probably not Morrissey, but I recollect an opinion of that sort on this forum some where in the past.

I understand once you achieve a certain level of fame and respect among peers, but this is pretty ridiculous. Duck Dynasty had been announced as guests on this night over two weeks ago. And Moz cancels the day before? Not very professional. But as others have said, he's admirably principled.

I've not heard of "Duck Dynasty" before, but Kevin Smith is a member of the cast, so it's probably quite funny! I've checked the official website and read the posts on this thread, but I can't find anything ethically objectionable about their act. What's the problem?

People kill animals? NO WAY, Go Moz!, ............ now you just have to avoid all the other people that kill animals,,,,,,,,,,,, I wonder if russel bland has ever killed anything, I fu**ing hope so :)

Tags
kimmel morrissey

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom