A lost 'Smiths' song is being released 25 years after it was recorded - Manchester Evening News

Audio sample included on the MEN site.
A very tenuous use of the word 'Smiths'.
Very Style Council IMHO,
Regards,
FWD

A lost 'Smiths' song is being released 35 years after it was recorded - Manchester Evening News

Excerpt:
"Firefly is by Freak Party, the band that Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke, and Si Wolstencroft were working on before Morrissey arrived.

A lost cassette containing two songs written by the band that would become The Smiths has been unearthed - and it's about to get a national release.

The studio demo, called Kraak Therapy, contains two tracks recorded by Johnny Marr, bassist Andy Rourke, and drummer Si Wolstencroft in an Ancoats studio in the winter of 1981.

It recently turned up in an old flight case in Si's cellar when he was moving house, and on Monday, October 24, he's preparing to release 500 vinyl only copies of it into record shops on his Funky Si Records label.

The songs, which were recorded at Decibelle Studios in Beehive Mill (now the home of Sankeys nightclub) have been digitally cleaned up and they show the very different musical vision that Marr once had before he met a certain Steven Patrick Morrissey...."

39255_freakparty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very tenuous indeed but still neat. Thanks for the share

isn't terrible.quite like her voice and how the music changes.

This is a bit like having a sketch Lucian Freud did as a teenager in your attic, and then one day deciding it would look better if you coloured it in.

No Funky Si, no Smiths.

When and where did I see this kind of reasoning before?
Must've been here. :rolleyes:
Still waiting for the final lost, hidden treasure, without whom there were no The Smiths.
There must be many more of them so it really IS a miracle they existed at all. o_O

This is a bit like having a sketch Lucian Freud did as a teenager in your attic, and then one day deciding it would look better if you coloured it in.
Yeah. I hope they at least include the original version as a b-side or something.

Here is the promo video - featuring Andy Rourke and Craig Gannon. You know what -I actually like this!

I enjoyed this - thanks for sharing. Shame they couldn't twist Marr's arm into being in it.

Maybe they did twist his arm and he couldn't play.
Come to think of it, maybe that's why he became such a great guitarist with that undeniable, recognizable style.
When Johnny Marr plays the guitar you immediate know it is Johnny Marr. :guitar:

Shame they couldn't twist Marr's arm into being in it.
Well - he's on the record, as that's his guitar part from the original recording that's been sampled - apparently he gave them his OK to do this.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom