London - O2 Academy Brixton (Aug. 7, 2011) post-show

I just have to share this right now.
http://lockerz.com/s/127541861
Do you see this thing in the right corner? I thought somebody was joking earlier on when he twittered about a nude Morrissey cardboard. I have this funny feeling that Morrissey is doing a Charlie Sheen. It worked for him, because from what I read his comedy show or whatever he toured with sold pretty well. Britney Spears sold the most records ever when she went bonkers and Kate Moss was back in business amazingly quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
'we've written a new song...it's called it's called art...art hyphen small h...hounds...i hope you like it...you can decide in four mintues...'

very amusing...probably not word for word, but pretty close : )

Kristeen Young is bat-shit insane!

Apart from that, fantastic gig. The new song is alright, though it is at its best in the last minute or so.
He did a fair bit of interaction with the audience, including a little part about Charles and 'Camel' and how he laughed for weeks and months. Also, a mention of David Cameron and how he probably has never even visited Tottenham.
'There Is A Light...' was the highlight for me. Also, the sing-a-long during 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. He had us in the palm of his hand.

Camden as the encore would have made it a near perfect set, FOTGTD as the encore for the zillionth time was a big disappointment.

Camden was played in the soundcheck. Sounded good, apart from fluffing the high note at the end.

Music wise Art-Hounds sounds similar to Black Cloud and I'm OK By Myself.

Personal highlight of the show was Everyday Is Like Sunday.
Towards the end Morrissey let the audience sing-along ♪on your face~ and he made a face (twisted his lips) which was so funny.

During Speedway, there was 15 seconds silence, possibly a technical hitch, but it went OK in the end.

Art-hounds was a surprise.
I don't remember all the lyrics, but it was interesting and look forward to listen to the song on the album near future.

It was much more than fifteen seconds!

A really great concert tonight. Even the new songs sounded good, especially 'Action'. The new, new song (Art Hounds) sounded better still. Lovely falsetto, some intriguing lyrics and a really catchy and powerful melody.
Morrissey has now written words to (and sung) over 250 songs, but he played 3 of his top 5 in a row (Everyday, There is a light, and Oh Mother) which really brought the house down.
Alma, Ouija, and YTOFMF were also splendid.
The between song 'banter' was marvellous - cheeky, sharp and wittty without being offensive. Very amusing stuff about Charles and Camel. All in all, an absolutely splendid evening.
All hail the Moz!

A really great concert tonight. Even the new songs sounded good, especially 'Action'. The new, new song (Art Hounds) sounded better still. Lovely falsetto, some intriguing lyrics and a really catchy and powerful melody.
Morrissey has now written words to (and sung) over 250 songs, but he played 3 of his top 5 in a row (Everyday, There is a light, and Oh Mother) which really brought the house down.
Alma, Ouija, and YTOFMF were also splendid.
The between song 'banter' was marvellous - cheeky, sharp and wittty without being offensive. Very amusing stuff about Charles and Camel. All in all, an absolutely splendid evening.
All hail the Moz!

Amazing he didn't slate Morrissey or sound like he has it in for him for a change. Oh but he did use stats again and sounded like he thinks he's a record reviewer as usual. bluuuurrrgh!

jonnyH - I felt the same as you after Plymouth, I can't justify spending £40 on just over an hour's performance repeatedly anymore

Oh, Princess!
What is an acceptable pounds/concert length ratio for you?

Great show tonight - Moz in good form, great atmosphere. Only negative for me was the comments about Charles and 'Camel' getting their car attacked at the student riots earlier in the year - and Morrissey saying he "laughed for weeks" about it. Really cannot grasp why he finds such outright thuggish and violent behaviour funny.

But a great show!

Oh, come on - those two piggies getting attacked by a mob was the funniest thing to happened in years. Moz's music has always flirted with the 'thuggish and violent'. A little nit of violence never did anyone any harm...

Last night was just fantastic. Moz and the band on top form and really enjoying themselves. I was down at the front and the crowd were well up for it - plenty of pushing, singing, jumping etc... When Moz's shirt came down a 50 odd person brawl broke out. Those left clutching it cut it up and shared it out using a key. Security were pretty pissed off about all that - it was some fight. I got Tobias's pick used for First of the Gang, pretty pleased.

Set list was wonderful. Art-hounds is exactly the kind of Moz song I love. Firing on all cylinders, non-stop rampage of a song. Only slowed down for Boz to do a little tune on the clarinet and then straight back in to it. Really awesome. Lyrics had something about being 'funny, witty, lonely' or something, then something about 'take my hand if you can't stand anymore' I think. Loved it. A great antidote to 'Scandinavia' which I'm not quite sold on. People and Action I love, Kids not so much, so last night was really great.

So yeah, that was my first Moz gig. I was the guy in the bright blue Adidas sweater. Met some lovely people outside. Haters gonna hate, but Moz is alive and kicking. The show I witnessed last night starred a man still on fine form - long may it last.

Mozz sounded great, looked really well and seemed to be having a lot of fun. The crowd was with him all the way and he obviously responded. Felt for the lad who got on stage (near enough!!) but Mozz was the other side of the stage!!

During Speedway, there was 15 seconds silence, possibly a technical hitch, but it went OK in the end.

It is intentional and somehow belongs to the meaning of the song, even though I have not figured out yet how.

I think Speedway is one of his most honest songs.

I really couldn't say I'm afraid - does it make me fake? Oh dear if so...

Morrissey is a musician as well as a lyricist. If you are sensitive to the mood that music conveys you can pick up the meaning without being able to recite the lyrics. If the music wasn't so important morrissey would just write poetry.

Agreed the gap is intentional. The length of the gap is up to the band, bit like a game of chicken. 'How long can we hold them' sort of thing. One of my high points although there were no low ones. Meat... was very harrowing and certainly makes you think, so loud too.
Great choice of t shirts etc. Nice little earner!!

Morrissey is a musician as well as a lyricist. If you are sensitive to the mood that music conveys you can pick up the meaning without being able to recite the lyrics. If the music wasn't so important morrissey would just write poetry.

I disagree, because the mood of the lyrics is often contradictory to the mood of the music. And the meaning of the lyrics does not reveal itself, which is why so many people do not fully understand what Morrissey's songs are about.

yesssss......... hes back. shirt off and brilliant new song. really wanted to hear the new la la la song but.......

Haha yes was £50 though! I settled for the tee with the bus on it with moz sitting on the top deck. great show, especially the Charles & CAMEL gag!! lol

Morning all.
What a night!
Having made my way southwards from Bedfordshire, the excitement building all the way, the final leg of my journey was aboard a hot and humid Victoria Line train. What joy to emerge at Brixton into the fresh air! What joy to see the delightful Kika waiting upon the station steps! Arriving at the venue we were greeted by a queue stretching all along the side of the Academy and halfway along the rear. How marvellous, after all the negativity that has abounded lately, to witness such anticipation and camaraderie amongst the fans. Once inside it was an orange juice for myself and orange/cranberry juice mix for Kika and inwards as Ms Young appeared on stage. Such confidence and gusto she exudes, but alas not to my taste. With tension mounting the atmosphere built with the dimmed lights and heavy drumbeat and then......there he was! The crowd went wild! Although the setlist was more or less as expected the sheer pleasure of being there never fails to fill me with emotion. To be treated to the first rendition of Art-hound (?) was a privilege and, in my opinion, Everyday is Like Sunday was truly majestic. I had hoped maybe for Panic (on the streets of Tottenham/Brixton?) as an encore, but maybe I am, as is my want, being greedy. As we left the auditorium to the beautiful recording of Klaus Nomi singing Dido's Lament was in stark juxtaposition to the yobbish depravity that was being carried out in the nearby areas. It is the sheer enthusiasm and togetherness of Mr Morrissey's followers that gives me strength in these times of social unrest.
I am now enjoying a nice pot of Earl Grey whilst pretending to work from home. The only 'work' I intend doing today is deciding what flower to wear in the buttonhole of my burgundy velvet jacket for the Palladium show tonight! What joy awaits!
Love, Peace, and Trumpton,
Boethius.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom