London 2012 Summer Olympics torchlighting segment titled "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

The BBC is not 'state-run': it is run by the BBC Charter and funded through a licence fee which I object to as I feel it should be funded from progressive general taxation. If you wish to comment on British culture, please educate yourself sufficiently first:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/governance/regulatory_framework/charter_agreement.html

http://bit.ly/MPqNrJ

I can assure you that the BBC is 100% 'state-run' - it might not appear that way, and you can link whatever you like, but I'm sorry to say you are wrong. There is no end to the lies they tell on a daily basis. Any claims to independence or impartiality are pure flim flam - I think you might have some shit in your eyes?? Look at their coverage of any war, terror attack, even the recent riots in London and you will find their "news" reports and the actual events are in no way related, they just spout what they're told to. It's sad, and a lot of people find it hard to believe, but "Auntie" Beeb is a bit more like your creepy Uncle Ernie. BBC scum, as someone once said.

Overall I thought the entire opening ceremony was a joke. To address your previous point, my problem with Blur is that they are just too f***ing greedy these days - they will literally do anything for a pound note, and that's sad. I'll be watching purely to see the look on Graham's face. I doubt if Oasis are that bothered - Noel already turned down about £3m to do X Factor, so he's not as money-mad as some of the others (Jarvis Cocker included). No one in the music industry actually has a spine any more, the only one who ever stuck to his word is Morrissey - so I would imagine he'd rather eat a live horse than have anything to do with the Olympics, and quite rightly so.

No I'm not saying there will be a terror attack (false flag or otherwise) at the Olympics, I was just being facetious - but London is essentially a militarized zone for the next few weeks now, it's gonna be hell on earth getting around, I hate sport and I also hate having bullshit rammed down my throat by a bunch of idiots. I wouldn't go near that thing personally - and if they do blow you up, don't say I didn't warn you, and good luck getting hold of the CCTV footage afterwards - I think you might find the cameras were "broken" that day lol.

ps I wasn't aware Uncle Skinny was MI5, thanks for the tip off ;)

Re. Yes appalled too.

The Smiths are ,were big part of our culture to ,iss even mentioning them at all was just not right.Did Moz upset Dany Boyle?..Dont suppose Morrissey that bothereds,unless hes feeling insecure..His contribution and the lives hes touched wont be forgotten...Kush the cat

I can assure you that the BBC is 100% 'state-run' - it might not appear that way, and you can link whatever you like, but I'm sorry to say you are wrong. There is no end to the lies they tell on a daily basis. Any claims to independence or impartiality are pure flim flam - I think you might have some shit in your eyes??

An excellent blast of indignation from you and I agree with almost every thing you say with only nuances of variation. However, your response is marred by needless profanity and borderline personal insult. I do not have 'shit in my eyes': if you wish to suggest I am deluded in believing there is any authentic impartiality bestowed by the BBC Charter, then state this politely if you wish to remain visible to me on this site.

My original 'defence' of The BBC was in response to a ignorant and ill-informed comment from 'Theo' on this thread who uncritically accepted the coverage and commentary of the private NBC corporation as legitimate. If you read my responses to him you will be see that my defence of the BBC is focussed on defending its' coverage of the Olympic Opening Ceremony. The BBC provided multiple options to view this extravaganza, with or without commentary: live, real time. This, to me, is very important as I like to form my own opinions of events without being 'nudged' by corporate or Establishment propaganda messages. In a wider context, you are right that The BBC Charter is an Establishment ruse to police and control media flows to the general public, and its' coverage of events is constrained by a need to 'balance' itself between the competing political factions who seek to control and neuter it. The attempts of the right-wing Tory Press and News Corporation to interfere/abolish the BBC funding model shows how determined they are to move us to the situation which prevails in the United States where the major broadcasters are pure private corporations. It's up to British citizens to fight to ensure that morbid symptoms such as the 'phone hacking' nonsense are exposed and policed. Both sides of the political divide seek to control the BBC and disrupt / distort the charter, that's why they must be effectively policed by civil society. It's not a left/right issue, it's one of civil society which, in my opinion, the United States now longer has: hence their fury at us 'celebrating' the post WW2 settlement of the NHS.

Given my complex, nuanced analysis, I'm hardly likely to accept your statement that I am 'wrong'. Am i?

Noel turned down X-Factor as he knew it would trash any remaining credibility with the pseudo-'Indie' kids who still fantasise their outside the corporate music industry. Like Moz does. The 'music industry' is imploding due to technology and copyright issues, no other reason. Too many bands touring too often trying to replace lost CD sales. I love the Olympics even as I hate its' corporate takeover. The security and Big Mac totalitarianism is hideous. All I have to do is type 'Olympic terror threat' and this post pops up on a screen at GCHQ. The Internet is not 'anonymous': never has been.

No word from Morrissey on why/how the music of The Smiths and his solo work was expunged from the Olympic soundtrack, just a mild remark that his 'smile was too sincere'. Perhaps Danny Boyle will explain the absence or maybe The Smiths/Morrissey will be honoured during the closing ceremony but I doubt it.

regards.

Thanks for saying what we were all thinking.

regards

'More delusional 'group think' from the asylum 'hive mind' that seems to think they 'own' this site and these threads. 'Thanks for saying what we were all thinking'. It amuses me to picture you all sat in a pub in Manchester last night grappling with the issue of "how do we stop BrummieBoy?". You don't. You can't. Carry on with your collective delusionality, just don't imagine I'm reading you. There's a slight issue of my still seeing attempts by trolls trying to communicate with me when I observe the 'recent comments' on the 'front page', but I'm sure there's a workaround.

You are banned from my sight. Don't communicate with me. Don't defame or libel me or you may get an unpleasant surprise. My secretary, Sharon, will be monitoring for actionable items. The Internet and World Wide Web are wonderful inventions. If I end up having a conversation with 4 or 5 intelligent members of The Audience on this site, it will be worthwhile. I have absolutely zero interest in the 'fans' who seek therapy through group think. The idea that I give two hoots about the 'collective group think' of a bunch of co-dependent Internet sociopaths is funny. I've had my 'out of control' period on forums, but I'm a reformed character now. I'm glad DavidT has finally given an option to 'ignore' soi-disant 'anonymous' abuse as well as amateurish trolls such as yourself.

This site is exactly what Morrissey deserves. Unless and until he reforms his own aberrant verbal abuse and bullying: he has absolutely no grounds for complaint. DavidT's pertinent highlighting of Morrissey's abusive remarks about Madonna's adopted boy being the absolute spot-on example.

regards

Yeah, watch yourself MLE or you'll end up on BBs ignore list and i'm not sure you can cope under those conditions. Keep a cilvil tongue in your mouth. Good post btw.
Hearty regards,
LUVM

@ 'anonymous': You are 'anonymous'. Please add 'invisible' and and 'irrelevant' to your moniker. Thanks.

You don't need to use a capital letter after a colon either. As a matter of fact, you overuse capital letters quite a lot. With the new academic year beginning in September, remedial classes in English language might be worth a go.

'More delusional 'group think' from the asylum 'hive mind' that seems to think they 'own' this site and these threads. 'Thanks for saying what we were all thinking'. It amuses me to picture you all sat in a pub in Manchester last night grappling with the issue of "how do we stop BrummieBoy?". You don't. You can't. Carry on with your collective delusionality, just don't imagine I'm reading you. There's a slight issue of my still seeing attempts by trolls trying to communicate with me when I observe the 'recent comments' on the 'front page', but I'm sure there's a workaround.

You are banned from my sight. Don't communicate with me. Don't defame or libel me or you may get an unpleasant surprise. My secretary, Sharon, will be monitoring for actionable items. The Internet and World Wide Web are wonderful inventions. If I end up having a conversation with 4 or 5 intelligent members of The Audience on this site, it will be worthwhile. I have absolutely zero interest in the 'fans' who seek therapy through group think. The idea that I give two hoots about the 'collective group think' of a bunch of co-dependent Internet sociopaths is funny. I've had my 'out of control' period on forums, but I'm a reformed character now. I'm glad DavidT has finally given an option to 'ignore' soi-disant 'anonymous' abuse as well as amateurish trolls such as yourself.

This site is exactly what Morrissey deserves. Unless and until he reforms his own aberrant verbal abuse and bullying: he has absolutely no grounds for complaint. DavidT's pertinent highlighting of Morrissey's abusive remarks about Madonna's adopted boy being the absolute spot-on example.

regards

Banned from your sight? I didn't realise you could see me. But boy, I love a surprise - even an unpleasant one. I can't wait.

The problem is if you keep "banning" people or putting them on ignore you'll find yourself with no one left to read. Maybe that is what you want. In which case, may I suggest a diary.

But you are funny. I hope you continue with these diatribes. May they be frequent and full of theatrical extravagance and pomposity. It sounds you have enough spare time on your hands to accomplish such a feat.

regards

You are a f***ing tool. What on earth is the point of joining a website if you're going to arbitrarily stick 6 members on "Ignore" within 24 hrs ? Oh dear - I hope that remark wasn't "actionable" . I'm faintly jealous of Iona Mink ; why wasn't I promised any surprises ?

You don't need to use a capital letter after a colon either. As a matter of fact, you overuse capital letters quite a lot. With the new academic year beginning in September, remedial classes in English language might be worth a go.

thanks for that 'anonymous': (skylarker/ionamink/xyz123/!viva hate!) : whoever / whatever. BrummieBoy won't see your nonsense as I'm now setting his filter to 'igonore' anonymous posts. i'll check periodically to see if there's any genuine 'anonymous' comments about Morrissey that are worth placing before him. But other than that: you're wasting your time. Move on. It's over. DavidT has set this site up so BrummieBoy can appear 'live' without being molested by you ridiculous twits. gosh! no caps and so many grammar errors! LOL! *rollseyes* etc, ect, ad nauseum.

regards

Sharon McCormick - Secretary to 'BrummieBoy'.

Where practically every thread deteriorates into an asinine pissing contest monopolised by a small group of irritants with nothing to offer, Brummie Boy is one of the few reasons to stick around: bright, insightful, amusing and polite.

If it wasn’t for posts like his and those by the likes of CrystalGeezer (who I imagine, quite possibly inaccurately, as a trailer-park Blake/Darger, I’d be like my five-year old daughter in a supermarket: “But there’s nothing to do here!”

You are a f***ing tool. What on earth is the point of joining a website if you're going to arbitrarily stick 6 members on "Ignore" within 24 hrs ? Oh dear - I hope that remark wasn't "actionable" . I'm faintly jealous of Iona Mink ; why wasn't I promised any surprises ?

No, you're the tool. read his comment. he says he'll be happy to conduct a semi-private 'internet salon / cafe society' with 4 or 5 suitably interesting members of the audience once he's put all the dross on 'ignore'. that includes you, baby. deal with it. he's setting up a 'site within the site'. you can't do a thing about it!

Where practically every thread deteriorates into an asinine pissing contest monopolised by a small group of irritants with nothing to offer, Brummie Boy is one of the few reasons to stick around: bright, insightful, amusing and polite.

If it wasn’t for posts like his and those by the likes of CrystalGeezer (who I imagine, quite possibly inaccurately, as a trailer-park Blake/Darger, I’d be like my five-year old daughter in a supermarket: “But there’s nothing to do here!”

Many thanks, CrookedLittleVein.

For my own personal enjoyment and entertainment I intend to reform this site, to 'turn this ship around'. This site will inevitably end up as the main historical document remembering Morrissey's career when he retires. I'm absolutely certain Moz suddenly 'gets this', as does his management and advisers. Hence the panicky approach to DavidT and the 'Copenhagen Incident'. DavidT certainly understands the invaluable nature of this 'time capsule'. I hope he continues the difficult balancing act between free speech and being a responsible host / curator of this fascinating site. It's not for Morrissey to tell DavidT what he can or can't do, it's for him to negotiate and interact. Or leave truetoyou.net as his legacy internet presence.

I veer from complete intoxication to total exasperation with Moz. He struck lucky in that the NME 'gatekeepers' who allowed him through then turned on him, they didn't realise how radical and 'outsider' he intended to be. He's definitely a rare, rare talent. However, he needs to adopt a similar policy to mine: zero tolerance of abusive behaviour and language. We all screw up, we all lash out, but if he wants to be remembered as a genuinely inspriational figure, he has to cut the crap and stop making hateful comments about adopted African children, stop being jealous of Madonna (I feel sadness and compassion for her current descent into oblivion). And all the other silly things he says that marr his ocassinal flashes of genuinely subversive art.

I'm here to educate and entertain myself by interacting with stimulating members of Morrissey's audience. If that means I have to put the majority of responses 'on ignore' i'll gladly do that. I'm don't have that much time these days so when I have the luxury of contemplating Morrissey's incredible journey through art, commerce and politics: I don't see why I should put up with grating myrmidons who think they're so clever but couldn't think their head out of a paper bag. I'm sure I'll have my 'moments' and break my new policy, but the trolls and the socially inadequate don't control my world. Not here, not on any other site and certainly not in 'real life', whatever that is these days.

regards

Hey it's a four star trailer park. You have to have A+ credit to rent a space here. Does that class up my paranormal hood a bit? :D AND they just painted the clubhouse sage green, sooo...

No, you're the tool. read his comment. he says he'll be happy to conduct a semi-private 'internet salon / cafe society' with 4 or 5 suitably interesting members of the audience once he's put all the dross on 'ignore'. that includes you, baby. deal with it. he's setting up a 'site within the site'. you can't do a thing about it!

It will be interesting to see if it works. I suspect he has already given it a go with the always irritating, never funny Morrissey's World blog.

Perhaps the "tool" remark had more to do with making off-colour insinuations about "...unpleasant surprises..." and other members ISP details ?

Hey it's a four star trailer park. You have to have A+ credit to rent a space here. Does that class up my paranormal hood a bit? :D AND they just painted the clubhouse sage green, sooo...

Sounds lovely. But something tells me you don't really live there. It's just where your corporeal shell eats, sleeps and, er, what-have-you. :)

Besides, trailer parks have always seemed like faintly supernatural, romantic places to me. In the UK, we have caravan parks, where English people go to be rained on and plan soul-crushing 'day trips'.

tumblr_m7xj2w20fs1qe4x5io1_400.gif

BrummieBoy I adore your posts although I sincerely hope your pomposity is a knowing, humorous pose - or perhaps what I mistake for pomposity is simply colossal, justified self assurance, funnily enough the exact type we could see in early 80s Morrissey interviews. In any case I suspected you were "trolling" (although how many people can pull of trolling with valid opinions?) until I saw the post from Sharon, your secretary, at which point suspicion became belief. Please clarify.

I was saddened by the conspicuous absence of The Smiths. I can only propose that Danny Boyle's entire plan may have been scrutinised, trimmed and censored by some abhorrent committee - perhaps he tried to include the Queen is Dead but was denied? We did hear God Save the Queen on there but it does feel to me that in the aftermath of Lydon's butter ads the Sex Pistols' legacy has been rendered quaint, cartoonish and non-threatening where The Queen is Dead is still vitriolic, sinister and darkly hilarious. If this is the case its exclusion is indefensible; Britain's history has consistently been shaped by protest and counter-culture and this bears acknowledgement. Or, as has been suggested, Morrissey and Marr refused to license the music, for any of the reasons BrummieBoy put forward.

To argue, as some have, that the Smiths are too much of a cult concern to have merited inclusion in the ceremony is absurd; though I agree that they are a "cult" band I would assert that their place in the British cultural landscape is indisputable and that the 30 years following their arrival would have been very different without them. Certainly, to hear two Oasis tracks on the playlist in the Smiths' absence is an affront; I don't believe Oasis would have existed, let alone come to prominence, without the influence of the Smiths and the support and endorsement of Johnny Marr.

Quite right - it's unbelievable that they had the Arctic Monkeys performing. A novelty indie-pop band from 2005 who, had they appeared mid Britpop, would have enjoyed all the commercial success and cultural clout of Menswear. Hardly anyone beyond the world of indie geekdom knows more than 2 of their songs. It's just baffling, and perhaps can only be explained by the misguided notion of cool. I don't really like Coldplay but at least they have tons of songs that loads of people know, are great at putting on massive shows, and have been a massive international success.
This is a bit dogmatic isn't it? Arctic Monkeys have achieved considerable international success and even appear to be breaking into the US market with total conviction, supporting the Black Keys who are a major concern there.
They're certainly popular with far more than "indie geeks" and the tastemakers that define the "misguided notion of cool", and being, barely, a teenager myself I can tell you that they're still an important band to today's youth.
Coldplay would be a poor alternative; besides conceivably simply not being deemed compelling enough to sit comfortably in Danny Boyle's vision for the ceremony, they don't speak to the notion of "Englishness" that wry, funny, northern Alex Turner does (unless you consider their pre-Viva La Vida turgidity to accurately if unintentionally mirror the torpor of grey British towns). Another point is that critical reception is an utterly valid concern; Arctic Monkeys have balanced commercial and critical success far more convincingly than Coldplay, who have been frequently mauled by the press - whether you think that fair or not.
I can happily see the Arctic Monkeys leaving an impressive legacy; perhaps they are no great innovators but their character and consistency shine through and you simply do not put out four very very successful albums to generally positive critical reception and go on to be unremembered.
Oh and, lest we forget, that though Turner may have denied it, portions of Suck it and See were certainly shot through with the influence of The Smiths:

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom