Libertines call Morrissey "...an absolute prick." - Entertainmentwise.com

Last I heard, Doherty and Carl Barat couldn't get enough of Moz and were quite happy to pose for photographs with him - they even opened as his support act once or twice. Sounds like the drummer's ego took a knock because Morrissey ignored him (when David Johansen was in the room, of all people), and just assumed from that encounter that Morrissey is a total prick to everyone he meets. Doherty reacted in the same way when Morrissey called him a drug-addled cliche of a person - never meet your heroes!

Jamie is correct. Morrissey did entertain acquaintance with The Libertines; in the famous 2004 NME come-back interview he reciprocated their passion for him, and subsequently invited them even to support him on a few dates. I remember watching the film of the New York Dolls at Morrissey's Meltdown and was surprised and even bemused a little when I saw Gary drumming for them. The Libertines had, by then, fallen into the tabloid Pete & Kate circus hell, and things seemed a little all over the place; each member had formed their own group, whereas Gary had seemingly taken to session work. I'm surprised by Morrissey's attitude. It seems bad manners, sheer effrontery, and especially so given that he would have known of Gary already. A polite Hello would have sufficed. But then such is Dame Dazzling Dorrissey - happy to vilify the Royals for their elitism, but then equally as happy to practice it himself.

who cares? just some worn out 'indie' band that had a few songs liked by a few people. They were hardly groundbreaking. Indie is dead anyway.

The only thing I've ever heard about this band is their drug problem, not their music. Who cares what some loser drummer from an unremarkable band has to say about a lyrical icon such as Morrissey? Please! Ha!

Enjoy the free press, lads. In 20 years time, people will still speak of Morrissey with reverence. No one will remember anything about the Libertines other than the fact that they once had that junkie as their lead singer...

2000 years from now they wont.

Ive heard things like this before, support act Brother said something similar to this last year, I know people who have had moderate success in a band and their egos can go through the roof, lets face it though moz is a living legend and I think he loves nothing better than putting members of mediocre bands like the libertines and brother who have massive egos but only moderate success in their place.

My british slang is not so great. Is p**k = punk. Usually I am pretty well versed in my curse words but this one stumps me.

Would it help if there were three stars instead of two, with the first an 'r' and the last a 'c'?! That's my guess anyway. :p

libertines supported moz at town and country club aka the forum on at least one of the nights. not to say that they would have been allowed to talk to moz then but he probably would have okayed them for the show... libertines were also supposed to support on one of the meltdown dates but were replaced by ordinary boys as pete had been kicked out of band shortly beforehand...

libertines supported moz at town and country club aka the forum on at least one of the nights. not to say that they would have been allowed to talk to moz then but he probably would have okayed them for the show... libertines were also supposed to support on one of the meltdown dates but were replaced by ordinary boys as pete had been kicked out of band shortly beforehand...

It was Brixton Academy in 2002. Morrissey and the Libertines were photographed together before the gig.

http://www.somedizzywhore.com/blog/...d-commentary-lucky-enough-for-you-not-sp.html

Let's hurry up and keep saying how much The Libertines suck as musicians, and what junkies they are, because how dare they give an opinion of Morrissey that is less than effusive. Why, it's blasphemy, I tell you.

On the other hand, Morrissey can wish death on political figures, grotesquely insult entire races of people, and offend thousands by brushing off genocide as insignificant compared to people eating at McDonalds. That's fine.

But an individual who met him in person calls him a prick? Oh that's going too far.

sorry lads, libertines or whatever incarnation they are now are utter shite. the cats having at it, or the dogs making a Khazi out of some poor old sap's garden is much less revolting than the libertines music.

Let's hurry up and keep saying how much The Libertines suck as musicians, and what junkies they are, because how dare they give an opinion of Morrissey that is less than effusive. Why, it's blasphemy, I tell you.

On the other hand, Morrissey can wish death on political figures, grotesquely insult entire races of people, and offend thousands by brushing off genocide as insignificant compared to people eating at McDonalds. That's fine.

But an individual who met him in person calls him a prick? Oh that's going too far.

Well if they're a drummer

Love Morrissey. Like the Libertines too. I can totally understand why someone meeting Morrissey might call him a prick, though. Everything about him suggests that he is very hard work. He has the classic combination of chronic shyness and unfettered arrogance which can make for awkward moments in any interpersonal encounter. This story just confirms what we already know. I am sure there is a long queue of people who think that Morrissey is a prick.

Back
Top Bottom