KFC diner told 'you can't have bacon in your burger here - we're now halal'

I am a Ghost

KFC diner told 'you can't have bacon in your burger here - we're now halal'

By Katherine Faulkner

A diner was left fuming after a KFC restaurant took his favourite meal off the menu because it breached their new halal regulations.
Alan Phillips was told he would have to travel five miles to another branch if he wanted the Big Daddy, a chicken burger, topped with bacon, cheese and salad.
The branch, in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, is one of 86 KFC restaurants which is running trials of a scheme where they sell nothing other than halal meat.

The company has taken the burger off the menu because Islamic dietary law forbids Muslims to eat anything which has been prepared on the same premises as pork, which is itself strictly forbidden.
It said it was responding to 'increased demand' for a halal menu in the areas of Britain with growing Muslim populations.
Mr Phillips said he found the change 'extremely unfair' on non-Muslim customers.
'I can't believe a chain like this has taken this stance,' he said. 'Staff told me that due to the dietary laws halal meat could not be prepared in the same place as other meats, so I couldn't have my bacon.

It was like they were saying I couldn't buy bacon because it might offend people.'
Mr Phillips was told he would have to travel to another KFC five miles away to buy his bacon burger. He protested that this was too far for him to travel.
'It is getting silly,' he said. 'I have many friends who are black, white and Muslim but they wouldn't be forced to eat non-halal meat.

'I have no problem with them selling halal meat, but I would like the choice.'
Traditionally, halal meat must be slaughtered by hand, although KFC, which has more than 750 restaurants in the UK, said its chickens are not killed in this way.

The meat must also be blessed in the name of Allah and cannot be kept on the same premises as banned substances including pork and alcohol.
KFC spokesman Nina Arnott said the halal trial was expected to last 'a few months'.
She said: 'We've responded to requests to provide halal food in some parts of the UK and the Middleway Park restaurant in Burton is one of the restaurants taking part in our trial.
'The Big Daddy is the only product we've taken off the menu at our trial stores and we're using exactly the same ingredients and exactly the same tasting chicken as before.'

Awwww, that poor fat American pig.

Sorry, its that poor fat British pig as the 'The Burton-on-Trent branch is one of the 86 out of 750 British KFC restaurants which is now selling nothing other than halal meat.'

She said: 'We've responded to requests to provide halal food in some parts of the UK and the Middleway Park restaurant in Burton is one of the restaurants taking part in our trial.

Let me get this straight. KFC operates restaurants in a community. Said community wants halal meats available to them. KFC obliges.

How is this not democracy in action? Free markets conforming to popular taste?

Phillips can get a proper chicken sandwich anywhere. But boo hoo! He wants one from KFC. Curse you, original spices! Damn you, secret recipe!

It seems Phillips may have to go to any of the other hundreds of restaurants in the area or perhaps learn to make a sandwich on his own. Hard cheese, old chap!

Also, a general comment: it is shocking to me that KFC is actually popular in England. Kentucky. Fried. Chicken. In the U.K. I caught the end of "Twenty Four Hour Party People" the other night and "Shaun Ryder" (or one of those filthy twerps) mentions going out for "a KFC". I'd seen the movie six or seven times before realizing what it was he said. Unbelievable. Shame on the "glorious new global economy" for plaguing England with Kentucky Fried Chicken. Utterly satanic.

I know I've told this story before, but my family and I thought it was very funny to see a "Kensas Fried Chicken" in London when we were there in 1987. Yes, spelled wrong and everything.

I know I've told this story before, but my family and I thought it was very funny to see a "Kensas Fried Chicken" in London when we were there in 1987. Yes, spelled wrong and everything.

Hahaha, in UK some variations exist such as Texas Fried Chicken etc. :lbf:

In Japan especially people in Osaka call KFC 'Kenta', McDonalds 'Macdo' which I find rather nuff.

Last edited:

Their minds will grasp for any possible protection against the trauma of being invaded by American fast food. Similarly, the first time I heard Bernard Sumner rapping, I told myself he was exploring a "demotic spoken-word style germane to the song's socially-conscious lyrics". ;)

Their minds will grasp for any possible protection against the trauma of being invaded by American fast food. Similarly, the first time I heard Bernard Sumner rapping, I told myself he was exploring a "demotic spoken-word style germane to the song's socially-conscious lyrics". ;)

Really? I just smiled weakly and skipped to the next track.

What, and you think that wasn't a defense mechanism? Textbook. :D

Defense mechanism... I recall thinking it was a little weak, actually. But look, I was so naive when I first heard an Electronic song I thought--and this is very pertinent to the ongoing discussion about musical influences and how music is now completely unoriginal--that this new band was pretty lame, they were doing their best to sound like a blend of New Order, Pet Shop Boys, and The Smiths. :o Now I heard bands like that on the radio ALL THE TIME.

And this is pertinent, in defense of each of them. They carried their signature sounds with them so powerfully that some lame-o teenager in Indiana heard the music and could pick each of them out instantly. That's why Johnny Marr is due every bit of acclaim he gets. And if new musicians can't come up with a sound that is that distinctive, then all they have to offer is the equivalent of conducting cultural CPR until something interesting happens. They're just keeping the beast alive.

Also, a general comment: it is shocking to me that KFC is actually popular in England. Kentucky. Fried. Chicken. In the U.K. I caught the end of "Twenty Four Hour Party People" the other night and "Shaun Ryder" (or one of those filthy twerps) mentions going out for "a KFC". I'd seen the movie six or seven times before realizing what it was he said. Unbelievable. Shame on the "glorious new global economy" for plaguing England with Kentucky Fried Chicken. Utterly satanic.

theyve plagued us with the shit for about the last 40 years.my brother chewed on a piece that contained a pus-filled cyst.....enjoy your dinners!

Last edited:
It's a not huge deal that the fat bastard can't get a piece of bacon. They should probably put a sign on the door, though, and on the menu board. "Halal location, no pork products available."

The chain has a perfect right to adjust the menu to suit the local clientele. I mean, aren't there McDs in India that don't serve beef?

Back
Top Bottom