Joyce Michael's comments in today's NME about Morrissey's retirement

Maurice E

Some moderately laughable comments from Joyce Michael in today's NME.
He says that he wouldn't want to go and watch the Smiths if it was Moz, Marr and Rourke plus another drummer, that he would say 'yes' to a reunion, etc.

Then we get a few snide comments about Morrissey's current age/status. Joyce wouldn't be surprised if Moz retired as he's 'getting on a bit' and that Morrissey has struggled to sustain the brilliance of his early work.

Will try and transpose later on but bit busy at work today!

NME have outdone themselves again. Kok-heads!​

The NME are clutching at straws for a reason to lampoon Morrissey; age really doesn't feature into the quality of an artists work, unless it's the actual reason for a decline in writing, singing and performance (Bob Dylan, would qualify for such criticisms for example). Morrissey still performs with relish, he is animated, energised and emotional on-stage, and his last album provoked alot of suprise responses from people, good and bad. As Kanye West once so aptly put...'everybody feel a way about me, but at least you feel something'.

NME...enME...ENEMY!

Hey, I think some of you have misread/interpreted my comments!

It wasn't NME who was claiming Moz was 'getting on a bit'; it was Joyce Michael. I know NME can be a bit naughty but they're just reporting Joyce's comments this time.

Joyce discusses Morrissey's past brilliance in the Smiths and states that Moz has 'struggled' to maintain this.

Unlike Joyce, of course, who's spent the last 20 years dazzling us with his musical brilliance!

The Uriah Heep of the music business. (not the band, the character)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriah_Heep_%28David_Copperfield%29

Him to a tee :p

Hilarious. Uriah Heep is probably more accurate-- I had him pegged as a Mr. Raffles ("Middlemarch") type: "Where there was property left, the buzzing presence of such large blue-bottles seemed natural enough". As Caleb Garth exclaims, ""Bless my heart! what's this fellow in black coming along the lane? He's like one of those men one sees about after the races."

"Raffles had made it evident that his eagerness to torment was almost as strong in him as any other greed. ...

Bulstrode felt himself helpless. Neither threats nor coaxing could avail: he could not count on any persistent fear nor on any promise. On the contrary, he felt a cold certainty at his heart that Raffles--unless providence sent death to hinder him-- would come back to Middlemarch before long. And that certainty was a terror."​

Scan - there was nothing wrong with the original pic, Flickr seems to want to resize everything. Bah. Anyway, "...already recorded three songs for the new album..."
1268612272_cc12d8ee85_b.jpg

Peter

This raises an interesting question- is Morrissey's latest statement in response to this piece? Perhaps he got an early look and made a preemptive strike.

Nope, this is clearly a subsequent article as the spokesman now states that Moz has 3 recorded songs.
The previous article was based on the original True To You press release...

Awful. The NME is just awful. I more or less agree that Morrissey's recent tour announcements are newsworthy, but allowing Joyce that cutting remark at the end was inexcusable. Even people who hate Morrissey and think him washed up couldn't possibly fail to notice that the NME is blowing the whistle on its own unprofessionalism with every new Morrissey story. What the hell is going on there?

Awful. The NME is just awful. I more or less agree that Morrissey's recent tour announcements are newsworthy, but allowing Joyce that cutting remark at the end was inexcusable. Even people who hate Morrissey and think him washed up couldn't possibly fail to notice that the NME is blowing the whistle on its own unprofessionalism with every new Morrissey story. What the hell is going on there?

Agreed. And worst of all is the tiny little inset comment at the top right- for god's sake, have they not paid any attention to him in the last 20 years, except to cut him down?

Nope, this is clearly a subsequent article as the spokesman now states that Moz has 3 recorded songs.
The previous article was based on the original True To You press release...

No, the article Morrissey was talking about was the one about a month ago that talked about him retiring. You can tell this by what he quoted them saying.

No, the article Morrissey was talking about was the one about a month ago that talked about him retiring. You can tell this by what he quoted them saying.

It can be both, the one by Jamie and the one on NME.com, as he says.

I wonder if they asked Johnny about this.
No, it wouldn't be The Smiths without Joyce and Rourke, but at least more similar than Morrissey solo playing The Smiths.
The guitar and bass sound are more difficult to imitate than drums, I might be wrong though. Moz, Marr and Rourke would sound 90% or more like The Smiths but it wouldn't be The Smiths.

It can be both, the one by Jamie and the one on NME.com, as he says.

I wonder if they asked Johnny about this.
No, it wouldn't be The Smiths without Joyce and Rourke, but at least more similar than Morrissey solo playing The Smiths.
The guitar and bass sound are more difficult to imitate than drums, I might be wrong though. Moz, Marr and Rourke would sound 90% or more like The Smiths but it wouldn't be The Smiths.

pfffff Queen and the Doors reformed without their frontmen (big mistake...but anyway..)..

i just don't see why the Smiths should re-form. Times change, people move on

pfffff Queen and the Doors reformed without their frontmen (big mistake...but anyway..)..

i just don't see why the Smiths should re-form. Times change, people move on

Big mistake, yes. And I don't think that Brian May and Roger Taylor with Paul Rodgers can be called Queen, but it's just for the money. The same with The Doors.

I'm not saying they should reform. I still don't understand what I would like them to do. No new records as The Smiths, that's for sure. Their legacy must not be ruined.
Maybe 1 gig, like Pink Floyd (original line-up, with Waters) at Live Eight. Or maybe nothing. I'd be happy if I knew that Moz and Marr are friends again. Yes. It would make me really happy. :)

Back
Top Bottom