Johnny Marr's statement about the Smiths rumour

Posted on Johnny Marr's Twitter, a link to his Facebook update:

The rumour of the Smiths reunion is untrue. It's not happening.

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

The rumor may have started with this article, link posted by @GianniSantor0 on Twitter.

The Smiths to reform - Music-News.com
added: 26 Apr 2012 // by: Music-News.com Newsdesk

Music-News.com has learnt that one of the greatest bands the world has ever known are to reform.

The Smiths, widely regarded as THE seminal British band, are to throw their differences aside and return to the live stage this autumn.

The legendary songwriting partnership comprising of musical luminaries Morrissey and Marr are set to make a return after finding common ground.

It will be the first time that Manchester's independent monoliths, who were signed to London's Rough Trade label, have graced a stage since their acrimonious split in 1987.

Legal wranglings in the band saw other members, Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums), sue with varying degrees of success.

This announcement comes after a source revealed that the 80s icons had been in talks to perform with a well-known promoter.

The decision was said to have been made after fellow Mancunians, The Stone Roses, gave in and reformed.

The Smiths had previously turned down a lucrative offer of over 76 million pounds to tour the US.

Update: Since we published this article earlier today, denial of this reformation has been rife.

UPDATE 3:35PM PT:

Links posted by goinghome:

Johnny Marr quashes talk of Smiths reunion saying: 'I got things to do' - The Guardian
Guitarist dismisses online reports that the band will reform, while former drummer Mike Joyce also denies the rumours

Johnny Marr, Mike Joyce deny online Smiths reunion rumours - Gigwise
Guitarist issues statement via official website saying 'It's not happening'

Last edited:
something tells me that marr will appear for the encore at the manchester gig on july 28th.

After that recent quip about the "Best band I've ever worked with"? Unlikely. People said the same about the 2004 MEN gig and it never happened. In fact, people start that rumour again every single time Moz plays in Manchester...as though Johnny wouldn't be able to resist dropping in on home ground :rolleyes: :cool:

Last edited:
why not? they are still on speaking terms.

They've been on speaking terms since about 1993 and it hasn't happened yet... my only mistake is I'm hoping :pray: .

The only thing wrong with this is the date. It will happen in 2013.

2013? The world may come to its end before that, I reckon. Sorry.

2013 could be a distinct possibility. The NME court case will be out of the way, the book will have been published and it will be the 30th anniversary of the first single release.

The Smiths hate each other > The NME court case will be out of the way, the book will have been published and it will be the 30th anniversary of the first single release.

No need for a Smiths reunion whatsoever but a renewed collaboration between Morrissey and Marr would be great, particularly if it meant the end of the Jesse Tobias era.

Lord knows any situation that brings an end to Jesse Tobias participating with Moz would be a very good thing.

I do actually believe Morrissey & Marr will collaborate again in the future, though maybe not as showily as some believe (e.g. Johnny making a surprise appearance on stage). I'd prefer it low key. A single new song to mark the 30th anniversary of the genesis of The Smiths would be fantastic. It all started with the two of them anyway.

The Joyce thing... I ask any of you -- if your own mother or another loved one was put through the turmoil that Morrissey's apparently was through Joyce's legal maneuvers, would you ever consider sharing a studio or stage with them again? Even more so considering how close Morrissey and his mum are.

If the reunion did happen with Joyce, I'd be seriously worried about Morrissey's mental faculties (some are worried now -- I'm not one of them).

The Joyce thing... I ask any of you -- if your own mother or another loved one was put through the turmoil that Morrissey's apparently was through Joyce's legal maneuvers, would you ever consider sharing a studio or stage with them again?

Whatever Morrissey's loved ones were "put through" was a consequence of Morrissey trying to rip people off. Morrissey chose not to fulfill his legal obligations to Mike Joyce and thereby created problems for his family. If he still can't recognise that fact, then that's his problem.

I do actually believe Morrissey & Marr will collaborate again in the future, though maybe not as showily as some believe (e.g. Johnny making a surprise appearance on stage). I'd prefer it low key. A single new song to mark the 30th anniversary of the genesis of The Smiths would be fantastic. It all started with the two of them anyway.

The Joyce thing... I ask any of you -- if your own mother or another loved one was put through the turmoil that Morrissey's apparently was through Joyce's legal maneuvers, would you ever consider sharing a studio or stage with them again? Even more so considering how close Morrissey and his mum are.

If the reunion did happen with Joyce, I'd be seriously worried about Morrissey's mental faculties (some are worried now -- I'm not one of them).

Agreed.

Morrissey/Marr? Probably. Someday.

Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and Joyce: Drums, Bass, Guitar and Voice? Never.

I still hold this Morrissey quote as my favourite on a band reunion ~ "The only way The Smiths will reunite is to kill each one of us and drag our bodies in the same room." I've no idea if he actually said it, but it's a great quote. Although I hesitate to reprint it, as it could give some people round this way certain notions.

Of course if there was a reunion no-one would care either way if Rourke and Joyce were a part of it or not. In fact, I think I would prefer it if they weren't after everything that's happened.

Agreed.

Morrissey/Marr? Probably. Someday.

Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and Joyce: Drums, Bass, Guitar and Voice? Never.

I still hold this Morrissey quote as my favourite on a band reunion ~ "The only way The Smiths will reunite is to kill each one of us and drag our bodies in the same room." I've no idea if he actually said it, but it's a great quote. Although I hesitate to reprint it, as it could give some people round this way certain notions.

I remember that quote. I think he said they'd have to shoot him to get him anywhere near the other Smiths, but I'm not certain. It's a great quote anyway.

Back
Top Bottom