Johhny Marr Guitar

Pluto

Hello,

I’m a big Smiths fan. I saw them play countless times and loved every gig I went to. Johhny Marr is one of the greatest guitarists around as far as I’m concerned. His style was so unique and fresh (till loads of people copied it!). The big man, is also an incredible talent, of course. Great lyricist and beautiful voice with a striking stage presence. What a band.

Anyway, I’m a guitarist and have played in a number of bands over the years – just as a hobby, never professionally. I’m currently playing in an indie band which is influenced by the Smiths. I’m going to treat myself and upgrade my guitar and I thought I might as well get the sort of guitar that Johhny Marr would play. But I’m torn. I found a great Custom Telecaster for sale online which I know was the type of guitar Marr used a lot in the earlier recordings and a few of the live shows.

GiffinTele.jpg

The Telecaster was used on a lot of my favourite songs – Heaven knows I’m miserable now and Strangeways Here We Come. But, when people think of the Smiths they tend to think of the Rickenbacker.

article-1208926-061CB860000005DC-97.jpg

What do you guys think? Tele or Rickenbacker?

Last edited:
Both nice, but the telecaster is probably the more versatile instrument. Obviously he didn't play it in the Smiths, but Johnny's new signature Jaguar is well worth checking out as well, as when he plays those old songs live it sounds spot on.

Hello,

I’m a big Smiths fan. I saw them play countless times and loved every gig I went to. Johhny Marr is one of the greatest guitarists around as far as I’m concerned. His style was so unique and fresh (till loads of people copied it!). The big man, is also an incredible talent, of course. Great lyricist and beautiful voice with a striking stage presence. What a band.

Anyway, I’m a guitarist and have played in a number of bands over the years – just as a hobby, never professionally. I’m currently playing in an indie band which is influenced by the Smiths. I’m going to treat myself and upgrade my guitar and I thought I might as well get the sort of guitar that Johhny Marr would play. But I’m torn. I found a great Custom Telecaster for sale online which I know was the type of guitar Marr used a lot in the earlier recordings and a few of the live shows.

GiffinTele.jpg

The Telecaster was used on a lot of my favourite songs – Heaven knows I’m miserable now and Strangeways Here We Come. But, when people think of the Smiths they tend to think of the Rickenbacker.

article-1208926-061CB860000005DC-97.jpg

What do you guys think? Tele or Rickenbacker?

I'd go with the telecaster for now.. he used the rickenbacker alot live in the early days but the first album was recorded on a tele. There is some nice rickenbacker playing on 'hatful of hollow' - but the only song from that record where it is essential to use a twelve string rickenbacker is 'william, it was really nothing' .. the rest of the songs sound great on a tele..
I've been playing the smiths on guitar for years and the tele is perfect with a bit of delay/chorus/reverb... and overdrive for ' handsome devil' and 'what difference does it make ?'..

Back
Top Bottom