Iconic picture of The Smiths brings windfall for Lads Club - Manchester Evening News

Stephen Wright sends the link:

Iconic picture of The Smiths brings windfall for Lads Club - Manchester Evening News
The generosity of the photographer who took the famous picture of the group outside Salford Lads Club has brought a windfall for the club

Also:

Smiths fans rush to buy limited edition Salford Lads Club T-shirt - NME

Excerpt:

Smiths fans from around the world are rushing to get their hands on a limited edition Salford Lads Club T-shirt which has gone on sale to support local young people.

The T-shirt features a famous photo of The Smiths outside the club in Ordsall, similar to the one pictured on the band's 1986 album 'The Queen is Dead'. Photographer Stephen Wright has licensed the picture for the club's T-shirts until November 2015, reports the Manchester Evening News.

Money from the shirts, which cost £15 each, will be used to enable six young people from the club to go to America as part of an exchange programme linked to the Salford Sioux Project.

Amber Sanchez, a volunteer at the club said: "We have sold 60 in two days since the MEN story was published. We are running out of size medium and will have to order some more. We have orders from California, Brooklyn, New York, New Jersey, Arkansas, and Illinois.

"Fans from France, Ireland, and Lanarkshire have also ordered them. We also sold a couple to some fans from Japan who called in person."

Stephen Wright also writes:

I think its just brilliant news for the club– they think they’ve sold about 400 so far. I'm very proud of this and my association with the Club over the last few years who have always shown me wonderful hospitality when I've revisited to do photo shoots of Smiths fans to raise money for various charities.

29 years ago when I went there with the Smiths the club was shut as it was daytime. It was a further 19 years before I got to go inside the club and I have always been intrigued by it's history and admired its purpose.

buy tshirts
buy limited edition photographs of the Smiths and other artists
https://www.facebook.com/smithsphotos.co.uk

salfordladsshirt.jpg

excellent news david and thanks for bringing it here as i think we could use some good news. sounds like the photog is a worth while guy so all cheers for him.

The generosity of the photographer who took the famous picture of the group outside Salford Lads Club has brought a windfall for the club

Also:

Excerpt:

Smiths fans from around the world are rushing to get their hands on a limited edition Salford Lads Club T-shirt which has gone on sale to support local young people.

The T-shirt features a famous photo of The Smiths outside the club in Ordsall, similar to the one pictured on the band's 1986 album 'The Queen is Dead'. Photographer Stephen Wright has licensed the picture for the club's T-shirts until November 2015, reports the Manchester Evening News.

Money from the shirts, which cost £15 each, will be used to enable six young people from the club to go to America as part of an exchange programme linked to the Salford Sioux Project.

Amber Sanchez, a volunteer at the club said: "We have sold 60 in two days since the MEN story was published. We are running out of size medium and will have to order some more. We have orders from California, Brooklyn, New York, New Jersey, Arkansas, and Illinois.

"Fans from France, Ireland, and Lanarkshire have also ordered them. We also sold a couple to some fans from Japan who called in person."

I think its just brilliant news for the club– they think they’ve sold about 400 so far. I'm very proud of this and my association with the Club over the last few years who have always shown me wonderful hospitality when I've revisited to do photo shoots of Smiths fans to raise money for various charities.

29 years ago when I went there with the Smiths the club was shut as it was daytime. It was a further 19 years before I got to go inside the club and I have always been intrigued by it's history and admired its purpose.

buy tshirts
buy limited edition photographs of the Smiths and other artists

salfordladsshirt.jpg

I think they're already sold out. Which is fantastic for the club as well as for the fans.

UPDATE: Sorry! They have them in stock! They are just having delays due to the large quantity of orders they've received. Again, good news though!

Last edited:

Also:

Excerpt:

buy tshirts
buy limited edition photographs of the Smiths and other artists (10% discount code: Msolo)

salfordladsshirt.jpg

UPDATE Jan. 8:

Posted by Roberto Ferdenzi / Facebook:

Reporter Neal Keeling handing the PM, David Cameron, a Smiths t-shirt during a visit to the MEN offices.

cameron_salfordladsshirt.jpg

Last edited:
I bought mine back in December as a Christmas present to myself, its a great shirt but too cold right now to wear out and about

They didn't get fatty Andy Rourke's camel toe right like the original.

"exchange program"...Great just what America needs, more fat faced Brit tourists running me over trying to get to the nearest McDonalds and KFC. If it wasn't for the Brit, Euro, and Asian tourists in the USA, McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Shit would be out of business. Thanks a lot inbred freaks.

Yes, they shipped also to Germany :thumb:
I bought mine in December, it`s a nice shirt

Itravelled from liverpool to ordsall,salfordto visit the iconic club just after the release of "the queen is dead".
The unfortunate part of my visit is my accent.
I have a very strong "scouse" accent,and as anyone in britain knows,there is an intense rivalry between liverpool and manchester.{due to football,and economic reasons,and because the 2 large cities are only 35 miles apart}
suffice to say,when the local scallywags heard my accent,i was told,in no uncertain terms "go forth,and multiply" back to liverpool !!!!!
The situation was turning a little angry,so i decided to agree to their suggestions !!!!!
The only consolation is that i can say,hand on heart,that i have been there !!!!!!!
For anyone thinking of making a visit,the club is alive and well,and now do guided tours of the building,including a "smiths room!!!!!!!"
keith.

Not to be nitpicky, but the image on the shirt is photoshopped right? That's the only way the arches can be in that position...

Back
Top Bottom