I read a new interview with Morrissey last night and can't find it

butley

Online last night. In it Morrissey infers he and Jake were not necessarily lovers. I thought it would be on here by now!!!!

Re: I read a new interview with Morrissey last night and can't find it.

Are you sure it was new? What you're describing sounds a lot like something Morrissey said in an interview with a Portuguese paper last year. http://www.ionline.pt/artigos/mais-...oximidade-entre-homens-aceita-se-matem/pag/-1

The translated excerpt in question: ""Some journalists and critics made reference to my friendship with Jake [Walters, written about in "Autobiography"], saying that it was a gay relationship, but what we had was an intense closeness. I do not think I have been homosexual, and he is of the same opinion. The world can not cope with closeness between men, but easily accepts that men kill each other."

It doesn't seem like he's denying a relationship, but rather that he and Jake consider it to have been more complex than what a "homosexual" categorization may entail.

Last edited:
"I do not think I have been homosexual."

f*** off, Morrissey. I do not think you have been heterosexual, and apparently the word "bisexual" is not to your liking. You have to make up words to describe your alleged sexuality. You're full of shit.

"I do not think I have been homosexual."

f*** off, Morrissey. I do not think you have been heterosexual, and apparently the word "bisexual" is not to your liking. You have to make up words to describe your alleged sexuality. You're full of shit.

Who made up the word bisexual

Who made up the word bisexual

Charles Gilbert Chaddock seems to be the first to use it the way it is used today. It existed before that but had a different meaning. I think I understand your point, that all words are made up by someone, and Morrissey can make up words all day if he likes. I guess humasexual can mean whatever he wants it to at the moment. But that kind of quote is part of the reason people think he's devious and unreliable.

Charles Gilbert Chaddock seems to be the first to use it the way it is used today. It existed before that but had a different meaning. I think I understand your point, that all words are made up by someone, and Morrissey can make up words all day if he likes. I guess humasexual can mean whatever he wants it to at the moment. But that kind of quote is part of the reason people think he's devious and unreliable.

devious and unreliable could also be seen as objectively provocative. people want to know about morrisseys sexuality so when he doesnt give that clearly for reasons his own which are very easy to imagine i believe they get mad and act like hes keeping something from them personally. i mean he didnt just introduce the word and not say anything about it or why, like the words just common and typical, but to expand on that and the reasons he gave on the subject of sexuality doent make for a good quip to laugh at and so arent mentioned

devious and unreliable could also be seen as objectively provocative. people want to know about morrisseys sexuality so when he doesnt give that clearly for reasons his own which are very easy to imagine i believe they get mad and act like hes keeping something from them personally. i mean he didnt just introduce the word and not say anything about it or why, like the words just common and typical, but to expand on that and the reasons he gave on the subject of sexuality doent make for a good quip to laugh at and so arent mentioned

This is not about his word humasexual which I do find to be ridiculous, but I'll agree that he can call himself whatever he wants. I was reacting to his quote. Saying that he has "never been homosexual" is close to the way some homophobe would say it, except they would have a more colorful word for homosexual. I think you can have homosexual sex without being homosexual, but the way he makes the statement implies he has never had sexual feelings, or sexual relations with another male. Why bring it up and then make convoluted statements about it, especially when those statements seem to be homophobic. Homophobia can mean hatred or "fear" of homosexuals but I think it more accurately describes a fear of one's own, possibly unexamined, feelings.

To me when he says he has never been homosexual, he isn't saying that he's never accepted the label although some of his actions might be considered as such, or some similar nuanced approach. It comes across more like, "Me! Gay!? Are you joking!"

Besides that his relationship with that woman is like something out of a Tennessee Williams story. It's ridiculous and he should shut up about it, and maybe he realized that, though I don't think he's really capable of realizing when he's full of shit or he would do a lot of things differently and probably have a much healthier career. Statements like that, and the whole "is he or isn't he" thing are a big part of the reason people grow up and out of his music. He will always have great songs and he will always have been an important part of pop music history, but I don't know how anyone comfortable with their own sexuality, whatever it is, could really take him completely seriously.

This is not about his word humasexual which I do find to be ridiculous, but I'll agree that he can call himself whatever he wants. I was reacting to his quote. Saying that he has "never been homosexual" is close to the way some homophobe would say it, except they would have a more colorful word for homosexual. I think you can have homosexual sex without being homosexual, but the way he makes the statement implies he has never had sexual feelings, or sexual relations with another male. Why bring it up and then make convoluted statements about it, especially when those statements seem to be homophobic. Homophobia can mean hatred or "fear" of homosexuals but I think it more accurately describes a fear of one's own, possibly unexamined, feelings.

To me when he says he has never been homosexual, he isn't saying that he's never accepted the label although some of his actions might be considered as such, or some similar nuanced approach. It comes across more like, "Me! Gay!? Are you joking!"

Besides that his relationship with that woman is like something out of a Tennessee Williams story. It's ridiculous and he should shut up about it, and maybe he realized that, though I don't think he's really capable of realizing when he's full of shit or he would do a lot of things differently and probably have a much healthier career. Statements like that, and the whole "is he or isn't he" thing are a big part of the reason people grow up and out of his music. He will always have great songs and he will always have been an important part of pop music history, but I don't know how anyone comfortable with their own sexuality, whatever it is, could really take him completely seriously.

What do you know about him? How do you know what he feels? Do you think you know him and his heart better than he does? He's been open about his attraction to men AND women. He doesn't consider himself homosexual because he isn't homosexual. That label means de doesn't have sexual feelings for females. He does, believe me I know. Just because you are homosexual and you need him to validate your sexuality does not mean he needs to. Yes. He has been with men. Yes he has been with women. In his own autobiography he admitted to both. He didn't make up a relationship with a female to make himself look straight. If he wanted to do that he wouldn't have included Jake or Gelato. Before you state that he edited the Jake part out later, that was at the request of Jake. His whole point has been that the labels box people in. Sexuality in not black and white. Not everyone fits neatly into a tidy neat little box. He made up a word that explains how he feels about it. We are all human. Saying he's humasexual is the same as saying love isn't based on what's between your legs. It's the person and the soul. It's a word that doesn't divide is. Women and men are the same. We are human. We need love. We need companionship. Who the f*** cares what you have or don't bellow the waist?

I think you're reading what u want Into it. As a person who faces labels to bring up his own that kinda dismisses labels and gives it a spectrum like quality is pretty on point. Follows science more clearly than anything out there now in common use. I mean he went on to talk about labels so I would read it as such, a comment about the uselessness of inaccurate labels. Honestly I'd believe the asexual angle before anything but I and we don't know that much about his personal life so why try and read beyond what he's saying. I mean he's not shy about saying what he likes. To me you sound defensive

What do you know about him? How do you know what he feels? Do you think you know him and his heart better than he does? He's been open about his attraction to men AND women. He doesn't consider himself homosexual because he isn't homosexual. That label means de doesn't have sexual feelings for females. He does, believe me I know. Just because you are homosexual and you need him to validate your sexuality does not mean he needs to. Yes. He has been with men. Yes he has been with women. In his own autobiography he admitted to both. He didn't make up a relationship with a female to make himself look straight. If he wanted to do that he wouldn't have included Jake or Gelato. Before you state that he edited the Jake part out later, that was at the request of Jake. His whole point has been that the labels box people in. Sexuality in not black and white. Not everyone fits neatly into a tidy neat little box. He made up a word that explains how he feels about it. We are all human. Saying he's humasexual is the same as saying love isn't based on what's between your legs. It's the person and the soul. It's a word that doesn't divide is. Women and men are the same. We are human. We need love. We need companionship. Who the f*** cares what you have or don't bellow the waist?

"Yes. He has been with men." And yet his answer would seem to deny this, wouldn't it?

"He wouldn't have included Jake" You mean, the parts of the book he had removed?

"Just because you are homosexual and you need him to validate your sexuality does not mean he needs to." I am? I do? This seems to invalidate everything else you wrote. To make these sorts of assumptions about me is really ironic given the point I thought you were trying to make. Your cognitive dissonance will serve you well as a Morrissey fan. Enjoy.

"Yes. He has been with men." And yet his answer would seem to deny this, wouldn't it?

"He wouldn't have included Jake" You mean, the parts of the book he had removed?

"Just because you are homosexual and you need him to validate your sexuality does not mean he needs to." I am? I do? This seems to invalidate everything else you wrote. To make these sorts of assumptions about me is really ironic given the point I thought you were trying to make. Your cognitive dissonance will serve you well as a Morrissey fan. Enjoy.

Why do you come to this site if you hate Morrissey?

You missed the part where the person knew your comeback would be the deleted Jake part. They said Jake requested it. Go back and read the comment. Morrissey explained that Jake was being harassed by the press and asked him to delete parts of the passage about him. Autobiography came out a week after Jakes son was born. The attention was too much.

Geez catch up! What is everyone so interested in his sexuality anyway? It's not like any of you lot have a chance with him.

I think you're reading what u want Into it. As a person who faces labels to bring up his own that kinda dismisses labels and gives it a spectrum like quality is pretty on point. Follows science more clearly than anything out there now in common use. I mean he went on to talk about labels so I would read it as such, a comment about the uselessness of inaccurate labels. Honestly I'd believe the asexual angle before anything but I and we don't know that much about his personal life so why try and read beyond what he's saying. I mean he's not shy about saying what he likes. To me you sound defensive

I agree with you. He has never denied being attracted to men. His problem if you can call it that is that is that he likes women to. He's been open about his sexuality. In interviews. In his songs. In his autobiography. Some people want to make it about them. They want him to be the same as they are. They get irate when he's not. It's mad.

Why do you come to this site if you hate Morrissey?

You missed the part where the person knew your comeback would be the deleted Jake part. They said Jake requested it. Go back and read the comment. Morrissey explained that Jake was being harassed by the press and asked him to delete parts of the passage about him. Autobiography came out a week after Jakes son was born. The attention was too much.

Geez catch up! What is everyone so interested in his sexuality anyway? It's not like any of you lot have a chance with him.

Jake did'nt ask to remove his part, it would be very, very, dull, in fact everybody was and still bitching about that. Jake is proud about his past with Morrissey and he attended with his girlfriend at the concert in London. What's more? Nothing.

Bisexuality = homosexual pleasure + heterosexual privilege.

Somebody needs to tell Morrissey it's ok to be gay.

We don't know his private life, he is the only one who knows his feelings and who he really likes. We can only speculate. He doesn't want his sexuality to be labeled and the idea that we get from his interviews is that he likes the person and the gender simply doesn't matter. To be honest i've always thought he was more attracted to men, maybe because of the homosexual themes in a lot of his songs, friendship with gay men...I find him very flirty sometimes. Maybe he is simply aware of his charme. I don't know if he's homosexual/bisexual/heterosexual/humasexual but a lot of his songs focus on homosexuality and on discovering sexual orientation. Once again i don't know his life, but i believe when he was young he was more interested in men and gay problems and wasn't sure about his own sexuality. That's the feeling i get when i listen to a lot of The Smiths songs. Sometimes i ask myself why people keep asking him about his sexual orientation, isn't it clear? I mean, you can find the answer in his music. Just listen to his songs.

Last edited:
Before you state that he edited the Jake part out later, that was at the request of Jake.
Anonymous said:
You missed the part where the person knew your comeback would be the deleted Jake part. They said Jake requested it. Go back and read the comment. Morrissey explained that Jake was being harassed by the press and asked him to delete parts of the passage about him.

Actually, Morrissey never stated Jake requested to have parts of the book edited. This was the extent of his explanation for why certain lines and passages were omitted from the book (from this Oct. 2014 interview):

"Jake (Walters) was being pestered by the press, so his bit was removed. It remains in the UK edition, though, so there wasn’t much point chopping it out of the American. But there we are."

So, one could infer from his statement that Jake requested he remove certain parts of the book, but as usual, he's murky on the details. For all we know, Morrissey could have elected to have those passages removed himself, and in fact I suspect this is actually the case. To start, as one anon wrote, Jake doesn't seem ashamed of his past with Morrissey, at least based on how often he used to tweet Morrissey lyrics and interact with fans on Twitter, not to mention the sexually suggestive content of this post-Autobiography tweet promoting the UK hardcover edition of the book (which was edited). That seems an unlikely thing to post for someone who supposedly wants to draw attention away from his association with Morrissey.

Simply put, I don't buy Morrissey's explanation that the edits were meant to "protect" Jake from the press. As even he points out, it was a completely ineffectual strategy that made no sense to implement. The damage had already been done, news had already been published, words couldn't be un-read. The edits would have done nothing to protect Jake, especially considering he remained a presence in the book. Interestingly, the only parts changed or removed are the ones that contained the most intimacy and implication about their relationship. Furthermore, Jake is credited with providing the photo of himself that appears in the UK and US paperback editions; it is reasonable to presume then from his cooperation that he knew he'd be mentioned in the book and must have anticipated to some extent that he would receive press attention, as that sort of thing is an obvious inevitability. I suspect Morrissey elected to edit the book himself as part of the panicked backpedaling and qualifying he did in the wake of the media frenzy regarding his sexuality (see also: the "humasexual" statement). Maybe I'm cynical, but the quotation from the Portuguese interview discussed in this thread seems like more of the same.

Last edited:
Actually, Morrissey never stated Jake requested to have parts of the book edited. This was the extent of his explanation for why certain lines and passages were omitted from the book (from this Oct. 2014 interview):

"Jake (Walters) was being pestered by the press, so his bit was removed. It remains in the UK edition, though, so there wasn’t much point chopping it out of the American. But there we are."

So, one could infer from his statement that Jake requested he remove certain parts of the book, but as usual, he's murky on the details. For all we know, Morrissey could have elected to have those passages removed himself, and in fact I suspect this is actually the case. To start, as one anon wrote, Jake doesn't seem ashamed of his past with Morrissey, at least based on how often he used to tweet Morrissey lyrics and interact with fans on Twitter, not to mention the sexually suggestive content of this post-Autobiography tweet promoting the UK hardcover edition of the book (which was edited). That seems an unlikely thing to post for someone who supposedly wants to draw attention away from his association with Morrissey.

Simply put, I don't buy Morrissey's explanation that the edits were meant to "protect" Jake from the press. As even he points out, it was a completely ineffectual strategy that made no sense to implement. The damage had already been done, news had already been published, words couldn't be un-read. The edits would have done nothing to protect Jake, especially considering he remained a presence in the book. Interestingly, the only parts changed or removed are the ones that contained the most intimacy and implication about their relationship. Furthermore, Jake is credited with providing the photo of himself that appears in the UK and US paperback editions; it is reasonable to presume then from his cooperation that he knew he'd be mentioned in the book and must have anticipated to some extent that he would receive press attention, as that sort of thing is an obvious inevitability. I suspect Morrissey elected to edit the book himself as part of the panicked backpedaling and qualifying he did in the wake of the media frenzy regarding his sexuality (see also: the "humasexual" statement). Maybe I'm cynical, but the quotation from the Portuguese interview discussed in this thread seems like more of the same.

i always imagined that jakes lawyer asked the press to stay away and to stop harassing and that this resulted in the book being edited

i always imagined that jakes lawyer asked the press to stay away and to stop harassing and that this resulted in the book being edited
That explanation still wouldn't account for why the omitted text was inexplicably restored in later editions. Did he and his lawyers just decide, "f*** it! Might as well put it back!" after wasting time and energy pursuing the matter? What would be the point? Furthermore, if this were the case, why wouldn't his lawyers demand that the relevant portion of the book be removed entirely? There was still much for the press to extrapolate from the edited text, it was just made a little more ambiguous. He still would have gotten some phonecalls and knocks on his door. If this was a legal issue and the edits were made as a protective measure, it was lazy and shortsighted to say the least. It just seems highly unlikely compared to the alternative.

Last edited:

Jake did ask for it to be edited. There is no mystery about morrissey's sexuality. He leans toward men but is also attracted to women. He's not confused about it. He's not in denial about it. He stated the truth many times. Everyone chooses to believe he's trying to stay in the closet. He's not. Why is it so hard to believe that a person can have sexual and romantic feelings for both sexes? Why is it so hard to believe that they don't want to be pigeonholed in some random persons classification of sexuality? Why is it so hard to believe that he believed those classifications are harmful to someone that doesn't identify with them and is told that you have to fit into one of them all your life? I'm a gay man and I have no problem accepting what he's said about his sexuality as the truth. I don't care how he classifies his sexuality. That's for him to decide. Not us.

That explanation still wouldn't account for why the omitted text was inexplicably restored in later editions. Did he and his lawyers just decide, "f*** it! Might as well put it back!" after wasting time and energy pursuing the matter? What would be the point? Furthermore, if this were the case, why wouldn't his lawyers demand that the relevant portion of the book be removed entirely? There was still much for the press to extrapolate from the edited text, it was just made a little more ambiguous. He still would have gotten some phonecalls and knocks on his door. If this was a legal issue and the edits were made as a protective measure, it was lazy and shortsighted to say the least. It just seems highly unlikely compared to the alternative.

WHO CARES??? It's his life. He can write, edit, delete as he wants. Why does he have to answer to you? Is he personally accountable to every fan? His personal life is exactly that personal. What he reveals and his reasoning is his alone. For f*** sake. Being famous is a drag. Do you want someone examining every decision you make? Dissecting it to smithereens? Let it go. Jake knows and Moz knows.

Back
Top Bottom