how many songs has morrissey put down on studio recordings?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
has any one ever counted? (as a solo artist not including live stuff or cover versions)

eg. 1.boy racer
2. dial- a cliche
3. shame is the name
etc etc etc etc ?

Sorry to be a stickler, but....

I think you're counting "What's The World?" in your list of 73, but it was never recorded in the studio. Ditto for some tracks on "Hatful of Hollow" and "Louder Than Bombs" ("Handsome Devil", "Is It Really So Strange?", "Sweet And Tender Hooligan" and "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" immediately come to mind.)

In terms of songs *released* as a Smith, I believe it's 73, including three covers.

In terms of songs recorded in the studio, I agree that there are two covers ("Golden Lights" and Work is a "Four-Letter Word"), but fewer than 73 tracks (67? 68?)

As for Morrissey solo, I think you're including "Drive In Saturday" in both your list of studio tracks and covers. "Cosmic Dancer" and "Redondo Beach" are two other tracks that I don't think were ever recorded in the studio (were they?). I think that leaves eight solo covers, recorded in the studio ("East West", "Skin Storm", "That's Entertainment", "Moonriver", "No One Can Hold A Candle To You", "A Song From Under The Floorboards", "Human Being", and "Interlude"...unless I'm missing one somewhere!

Sorry to be a stickler, but....

I think you're counting "What's The World?" in your list of 73, but it was never recorded in the studio. Ditto for some tracks on "Hatful of Hollow" and "Louder Than Bombs" ("Handsome Devil", "Is It Really So Strange?", "Sweet And Tender Hooligan" and "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" immediately come to mind.)

In terms of songs *released* as a Smith, I believe it's 73, including three covers.

In terms of songs recorded in the studio, I agree that there are two covers ("Golden Lights" and Work is a "Four-Letter Word"), but fewer than 73 tracks (67? 68?)

I stand corrected. I took it as meaning 'officially released' material as opposed to 'recorded in the studio'.

So it's 73 oficially released songs, including 3 covers.
And of those 73 five (What's The World, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Sweet and Tender Hooligan, Is It Really So Strange? and Handsome Devil) were not recorded in the studio, so that makes the correct answer 68, including 2 covers :)

As for Morrissey solo, I think you're including "Drive In Saturday" in both your list of studio tracks and covers. "Cosmic Dancer" and "Redondo Beach" are two other tracks that I don't think were ever recorded in the studio (were they?). I think that leaves eight solo covers, recorded in the studio ("East West", "Skin Storm", "That's Entertainment", "Moonriver", "No One Can Hold A Candle To You", "A Song From Under The Floorboards", "Human Being", and "Interlude"...unless I'm missing one somewhere!

Quite right. That makes 176 officially released Moz-songs, of which 173 were recorded in the studio, including 8 cover versions.

*makes notes*

And of those 73 five (What's The World, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Sweet and Tender Hooligan, Is It Really So Strange? and Handsome Devil) were not recorded in the studio, so that makes the correct answer 68, including 2 covers :)

Well three of those 5 were indeed recorded in a studio, those recordings were just not released. I'm sure they will eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if the studio recordings of "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" and "Is It Really So Strange" eventually get released.

Anyhow, even without that, the BBC recordings (4 of the 5 above) are studio recordings. The only difference is it's the BBC who paid for the studio time and not the band or label. Still a studio.

Stephane

Well three of those 5 were indeed recorded in a studio, those recordings were just not released. I'm sure they will eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if the studio recordings of "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" and "Is It Really So Strange" eventually get released.

Anyhow, even without that, the BBC recordings (4 of the 5 above) are studio recordings. The only difference is it's the BBC who paid for the studio time and not the band or label. Still a studio.

Stephane

Maybe they recorded them out in the BBC carpark.

Tags
i'm making notes
Back
Top Bottom