Get Off the Stage

punkfloyd

Maladjusted
Does anybody else feel a tinge of irony when you listen to "Get Off the Stage" (B-side to Piccadilly Palare). The song was written with Mick Jagger in mind who would have been 46 in 1989.

GET OFF THE STAGE
Oh, you silly old man
You silly old man
You're making a fool of yourself
So get off the stage

You silly old man
In your misguided trousers
With your mascara and your Fender guitar
And you think you can arouse us ?

But the song that you just sang
It sounds exactly like the last one
And the next one
I bet you it will sound
Like this one

Downstage, and offstage
Don't you feel all run in ?
And do you wonder when they will take it away ?
This is your final fling

But then applause ran high
But for the patience of the ones behind you
As a verse drags on like a month drags on
It's very short, but it seems very long

And the song that you just sang
It sounds exactly like the last one
And the next one
I bet you it will sound
Like this one

So, get off the stage
Oh, get off the stage
And when we get down off of the stage
Please stay off the stage - ALL DAY !

Get off the stage
Oh, get off the stage
And when we've had our money back
Then I'd like your back in plaster

Oh, I know that you say
How age has no meaning
Oh, but here is your audience now
And they're screaming :

"Get off the stage"
Oh, get off the stage
Because I've given you enough of my time
And the money that wasn't even mine
Have you seen yourself recently ?

No not at all...Morrissey is thankfully the exact opposite of Jagger ( the rich pubic school boy who still acts the way he did in the 60's and still sings the same songs. it's ironic that he sends his own kids to lavish schools and all they do is become models)
Morrissey is not a sell out. At least Macca still makes albums

I love get off the stage! Misguided trousers is the best description.
Moz contradicts himself, well well. How unusual! :straightface:

I love all kinds of music and happen to also be a big Stones fan. Technically it was 1978 when Jagger last wore misguided trousers and mascara while playing a Fender guitar.

BE058740.jpg

Last edited:
Funnily enough, i've often thought of that track in recent years...

I'd love to see Morrissey get reminded of it in an interview.

No. Nor does my brow darken in desperate puzzlement when Morrissey, a fixture in the music industry, says the music industry is a cesspool filled with idiots. We don't have to work that hard to distinguish these people from one another, do we?

To be fair though, who is Morrissey to tell other people when to give up?

To be honest, i'm going off him a bit - he doesn't half moan.

People should give up when they have nothing else to say and nothing real to offer yet continue to take cash from fans-- in the case of the Rolling Stones, wheelbarrows full of cash (even in '89 ticket prices for the Stones were outrageous).

Morrissey isn't there yet. He is also a marginal figure on the pop scene now. He isn't standing in anyone's way. He's done some promo appearances for YOR but it hasn't created much of a ripple. He's not obnoxiously hawking his wares in wild orgies of megapublicity, as the Stones did for a long time (and as groups like U2 still do, or even Springsteen at the Super Bowl). He isn't backed by giant multinational conglomerates selling him like an SUV or a deoderant. There's a world of difference between him and the people he once criticized, whether you like the album or not.

Let me add the one point that shouldn't be forgotten here: if he were guilty of the behavior described in "Get Off The Stage" or his other tirades against "the biz", he would have taken the millions to play as with Johnny as "The Smiths". He refused that, which buys him a lot of slack in my book.

And this is news to you?

He's been moaning since the early 80's.

Its why we love him.

He's bitchy,cantankerous, and anti most things.That's why he's the best.

I'd like to hear a medley with "Get off the Stage" and "Paint a Vulgar Picture" on this tour.

Morrissey somehow has remained interesting. Jagger hasn't been interesting since the 70s.

No not at all...Morrissey is thankfully the exact opposite of Jagger ( the rich pubic school boy who still acts the way he did in the 60's and still sings the same songs. it's ironic that he sends his own kids to lavish schools and all they do is become models)
Morrissey is not a sell out. At least Macca still makes albums

You are kidding right? Have you heard the new album. It's the same shit as he's been knocking out for years. It just gets more diluted every time.

The latest one is almost a self parody.

Oh dear .. well i dont think he's ever gonna change .. and that has been his 'trademark' i guess .. its what he is!!:squiffy:

You are kidding right? Have you heard the new album. It's the same shit as he's been knocking out for years. It just gets more diluted every time.

Well why do you come here then?

I think the new album is quite good. Not the best (Im sure Vauxhall and Viva fans will have a strong case for that) but a notch up from Quarry and Ringleaders. Its been going quite steady i think these past few years. I really like the 'new sound' of this album. Its brought the other members of the band a bit more forward. I like that.

It's pretty evident to me that Morrissey is still willing to take a chance on each record by trying something new here and there. There is obviously gonna be a common thread from album to album for obvious reasons. Each record has been different enough for me to enjoy.

I think the differences are made obvious by the fact that some actually don't like this record. For the most part they aren't stating they don't like it because it's the same as those before it.

It's a unique record as are his other works. That's why I like them all.

Tags
accordion arouse us oye is funny virgin mary
Back
Top Bottom