"Fag," and double standards

Sydney Sneed

I just lurk here, so maybe you'll tell me I have no business posting this.

There is a user here who really likes to use the word "fag," and variations thereof. I'm gay, and there are times when I don't enjoy hearing or seeing this word--after it's been angrily shouted at me as I'm walking down the street, for example.

So then I come on a Morrissey site--a Morrissey site, OK?--and I see it being used very glibly, always to indicate disgust, impatience, or general disrespect. I never see anyone object to this, and you have moderators here who obviously aren't shy about objecting to things that they feel are insulting to themselves, and to the groups to which they belong. I'm thinking particularly of when you instantly banned someone for more or less randomly typing the phrase "Jap's eye," for instance.

I notice a trend in pop culture in general lately: gay people just have to take this. If we complain about being insulted, we're being "PC." We're spoiling straight people's fun. We're pushing our luck, and endangering our lucky new status as "tolerated."

I assume a large part of the apparent apathy about this, here, is due to many Morrissey fans refusing admit their sexuality.

So let me summarize by saying the administrator's recent remark about Morrissey needing sensitivity training--because he had offended a group to which the administrator belongs--was not without its hypocrisy.

There is a user here who really likes to use the word "fag," and variations thereof. I'm gay, and there are times when I don't enjoy hearing or seeing this word--after it's been angrily shouted at me as I'm walking down the street, for example.

So then I come on a Morrissey site--a Morrissey site, OK?--and I see it being used very glibly, always to indicate disgust, impatience, or general disrespect. I never see anyone object to this, and you have moderators here who obviously aren't shy about objecting to things that they feel are insulting to themselves, and to the groups to which they belong. I'm thinking particularly of when you instantly banned someone for more or less randomly typing the phrase "Jap's eye," for instance.

I notice a trend in pop culture in general lately: gay people just have to take this. If we complain about being insulted, we're being "PC." We're spoiling straight people's fun. We're pushing our luck, and endangering our lucky new status as "tolerated."

I assume a large part of the apparent apathy about this, here, is due to many Morrissey fans refusing admit their sexuality.

So let me summarize by saying the administrator's recent remark about Morrissey needing sensitivity training--because he had offended a group to which the administrator belongs--was not without its hypocrisy.

Where do you find homophobic word in the forums?

Would you able to post the link?

Mainpage and the forum softwares are different, moderation systems are slightly different.

i noticed that too over all the years i have been here.. but it seems as long as they dont use rude words even though its just as horrible .but im with you. absolutely. like someone saying homosexualty/homosexual persons is/are unnatural -which was vrecently but as long as that person is not claiming death to all homos its okay?:mad:
just look at the threads about his sexuality . i wondered why people are so uptight abou this, yes it has been discussed much and yes it doesnt matter,, but still lots of agressive undertones whic i dont understand what it triggers
i come across as some homophobia at a morrissey concert too. in hamburg 2006 there was a 20ties male couple holding hands when a group of 40ties males sniggering and pointing to them and saying in a low tone some remarks that i did hear.
whats their freaking problem? man..a dear online friend from the Uk has also told me about some incidents.

also some comments which i dont get like. conc the arse picture: someone on the main board posted: oh that means he is gay,oh no. i dont wanna have anyting to do with him. ( the idea that a(love) song he/she likes and assumed it was about a girl could be eventually about a man.which seemsed to crush his/her world.) that the fact he rather let his arse shot cause a tongue in cheek thing/fun thing/like these naughty postcards with naked flesh and not automaticlly leads to some "wild actions "as that poster obv assumed, this poster didnt think of.
in the modern world racism is a absolute. no-no but homophobia ,as long ias they re not claiming death penalties to them .. seems to be "okay" .i see a lot of stop racism now concerts but i rarely hear of a stop homophia now.concert.also rarely any mainstream artist speaking loudly out for gay rights. one recent exception is lady gaga who brought along excomminucated us soldiers to the vmas and spoke about it, regardless of her music/lyrics which is not my kind of thing its a good thing to hear about it.
there has are lot of homophobic issues going on in the last years but i dont look up the whole forum thread by thread now,as the mods wanted to. i give up speaking/responding about it when i see it . i did-cause it doesnt seem to change a thing here.
and to the mods- fag is really the most harmless example-there has been many other crass incidents over the years.
beside that there are certain users on here who can say whatever they want and never get banned,(im not speaking about homophobia or racism right now but about other issuesor better:general behaviour )
it doesnt have to be a ban but at least some call in would be nice which doesnt really happens.
@sydney you might have a look here where there is less rudeness, and is actually aware of homophobia -and dont let it slip under the carpet under freedom of speech as the past has shown
.why it homophobia under freedom of speech and racism not?
edit:link change : link has changed today! http://allyouneedismorrissey.com/index/
im not replying to this thread again and again as it as i assumed makes no changes so i repeat myself:
was my post not clear enough that i was not talking about the use of the world fag , but really crass posted stuff?its not about his sexuality at all- its what has been said in offtopic about the topic homosexuality in itself and once again its not only about the word fag
btw : using that fag word can be compared to the topic of black people calling each other the "n" word but white people could not ever call them by that word as it is used in a diff context then. queer peopel use their word as black people use their word in a diff context.

Last edited:

As Kewpie mentioned - examples are needed here.

People are allowed to say what they feel and they can be called on it. Have you replied to that person? What is your suggestion, banning people for being offensive or censoring them?

I think we've seen and heard all this some time ago. What exactly is your point here? Calling the administrator a hypocrite beause you don't like someone using the word 'Fag'? Really? Cut and paste some posts so we can see the extent of this.

P.

I think we've seen and heard all this some time ago. What exactly is your point here? Calling the administrator a hypocrite beause you don't like someone using the word 'Fag'? Really? Cut and paste some posts so we can see the extent of this.

P.

Yes, I would like to see some specific examples.

If I actually were offended by what Morrissey had to say I still would not call for censorship, banning, etc. I don't feel I am being hypocritical as the user is trying to show.

If a user is deliberately using homophobic or racist language to cause problems then we'll certainly take a look. Please report the posts so there is actually something to go by.

I recently used the words "fag sex" in the pigsty to describe a supernatural bad trip I had. I am sorry if that offended you. I am not homophobic, I just let the mean words fly when I am angry and should harnass that a bit if that offended you. I am trully sorry.

I recently used the words "fag sex" in the pigsty to describe a supernatural bad trip I had. I am sorry if that offended you. I am not homophobic, I just let the mean words fly when I am angry and should harnass that a bit if that offended you. I am trully sorry.

If this was flagged earlier you may have received a warning. Thanks for recognizing the offense these words may cause.

In general, I feel the people who post are responsible for their own words and it's good to see someone actually take responsibility.

I wasn't banned.

Billy Scissors,(fag)

Last edited:
we all know cigarettes are bad, but this thread seems extreme.

This kind of thing often boils down to someone saying something joky and offhand without any intention of being homophobic. You can't treat a subject like it's beyond humour, because nothing is beyond humour unless it's permanently removed from all contact with the human race.

I'm sure if anyone was being genuinely, intentionally homophobic, they'd be challenged and/or sent packing, so I doubt there's much to worry about.

I haven't noticed anything remotely troubling, in the whole, umm, week I've been here. So it must be fine! :thumb: :D

This kind of thing often boils down to someone saying something joky and offhand without any intention of being homophobic. You can't treat a subject like it's beyond humour, because nothing is beyond humour unless it's permanently removed from all contact with the human race.

I'm sure if anyone was being genuinely, intentionally homophobic, they'd be challenged and/or sent packing, so I doubt there's much to worry about.

I haven't noticed anything remotely troubling, in the whole, umm, week I've been here. So it must be fine! :thumb: :D

We're being judged. :rolleyes: Oh, and while they're over there masturbating their egos, it;s been decided that Morrissey is gay and any proper fan wouldn't use the term fag even in a crazy rant unrelated to said gay man. f***, I take openly rude people anyday to those who've decided their moral superiority is grounds to define the undefinable.

Last edited:
We're being judged. :rolleyes: Oh, and while they're over there masturbating their egos, it;s been decided that Morrissey is gay and any proper fan wouldn't use the term fag even in a crazy rant unrelated to said gay man. f***, I take openly rude people anyday to those who've decided their moral superiority is grounds to define the undefinable.
No, no, there must be some mistake, because we are all intensely cool here.

Dear everyone,

please feel very invited
to have a look around on my forum, allyouneedismorrissey.com
look for yourself if it desérves the dirt CG tried to throw at it.
Thank you

Cheers

Quiffaa

~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**
CG,
a) interesting that you chose/choose to fantasize about secual practices of mine or other people on my forum that much - but why are you that obsessed with it?
Isn`t there sth more fascinating to your sex life than visionizing us masturbating?
b) please enlighten me re your wisdom on how to ego masturbate, you seem to be the capacity/expert
*imagines CG on the panel of Jon Stewarts Daily show as "senior ego-masturbating correspondentt" which is a very nice title for you"
c) No one on my forum acted as pope (infallibly pronouncing the truth) re Mozzers sexuality, he in his lyrics and interviews was never a proponent of heteronormativity, thats all.
d) Name names - who defined the undefinable
e) people form opinions on the behaviour of people. If you think that is judgement, well I`define that differently but so what if you are judged?
f) My experience with you is that you cannot be trusted , CG (remember the gentlewomans agreement?)

Last edited:
CG,

what is the difference between you and a troll re moi /my site?
The only difference I see is that you do not dare to post on my site and
that you attempt to be "nice" in the meantime between trollish outbursts.

Ìts boring and tedious, plz stop it. kthxbai. Q.

Tags
good riddance
Back
Top Bottom