Does Moz like these bands?

Halfaperson

Morrissey Fanboy
Pink Floyd
Joy Division
Nirvana
Neutral Milk Hotel

No.
Though he did once express jealousy over Kurt Cobain having the balls to kill himself.

Pink Floyd
Joy Division
Nirvana
Neutral Milk Hotel

I recall him saying he had never heard a Pink Floyd record but he did give a little dedication to Syd Barrett at a gig when he had just died. As Floyd fans will know - Syd Floyd was very different to Waters Floyd or Gilmour Floyd.

He was friends with Ian Curtis prior to Joy Division but never liked the band apparently.

I too would like to know what he thought of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by NMH, it is an absolute classic, maybe too obvious a choice for him to acknowledge.

Morrissey favourably reviewed Warsaw, the earlier incarnation of Joy Division. Ian used to stop at his Grans house to be within a few bus stops of Manchester city centre. She just around the corner from Morrissey. They had an acquaintance, but that was as far as it went. Telephone calls and a nod at gigs, by all accounts. He mentions the calls in the book. Morrissey didn't like Joy Division though, and would not entertain the notion of signing to Factory because of them.

He was fairly dismissive towards Joy Division in the 80s, claiming that they were only popular because of Ian Curtis' suicide. See from 5.52 here-

Last edited by a moderator:
i would be interested in what more modernish bands morrissey enjoys for curiosities sake as everyone associates him with very old fashioned things. never cared for pink floyd or joy division, find both objectively interesting but more so as stories than interesting music (barrets first solo album was good but not as good as the photo on the cover. admittedly its a good photo). im a nirvana fanatic and own everything he and they put out. got to see neutral milk hotel and magnum both live and am huge fans of both (really theyre the same). wish they would put out another album

Neutral Milk Hotel with The Breeders, Hollywood Bowl, September 18th. :cool: (dream concert)

not a breeders fan but id go just to see neutral milk hotel again. hollywood bowl looks pretty cool from everything ive read about it

not a breeders fan but id go just to see neutral milk hotel again. hollywood bowl looks pretty cool from everything ive read about it

I think they're playing with the LA Phil too.

wow thats unusual. do you mean the breeders, neutral milk hotel or both? with the bands or as some weird sort of opener mood setter/opener. my next show will be cloud nothings unless something cool comes up in between that and now. theyre playing the 9:30 club in d.c.. the breeders and cloud nothings kinda come from the same place. attack on memory was a great little album

hey good for you as theyre great. whos else is on the tour?

I recall him saying he had never heard a Pink Floyd record but he did give a little dedication to Syd Barrett at a gig when he had just died. As Floyd fans will know - Syd Floyd was very different to Waters Floyd or Gilmour Floyd.

He was friends with Ian Curtis prior to Joy Division but never liked the band apparently.

I too would like to know what he thought of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by NMH, it is an absolute classic, maybe too obvious a choice for him to acknowledge.

Shows how much you know he was a huge fan.
He just didn't admit it as they were the competition

Back
Top Bottom