Book of Condolence Thread

Richard Stott..

Former Editor Of The Daily Mirror...Also did much coverage of the Royals bcck in the 70's

Finally succombed to Pancreatic Cancer yesteday

Tom Snyder...

American television personality, news anchor, and radio personality best known for his late night talk shows The Tomorrow Show, on the NBC television network in the 1970s and '80s, and The Late Late Show, on the CBS television network in the 1990s.

Peak moments with Snyder on Tomorrow included John Lennon's final televised interview, in April 1975 (replayed in December 1980 as a tribute to Lennon, and later released on home video), and Irish rock band U2's first American television appearance in June 1981. Also memorable was the 1980 cigarette smoke-filled appearance of Public Image Ltd.'s John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) and Keith Levene, whose thoroughly uncooperative twelve-minute appearance on the show acquired a long-term notoriety. "Weird Al" Yankovic's first television appearance was on the show in April 1981.

Another notorious segment was a prison interview with mass murderer Charles Manson. Manson was by turns quietly mesmerizing and disturbingly manic, suddenly getting a wild look in his eyes and spouting wild notions at Snyder before temporarily returning to a calm demeanor.[2]

Bizarre moments included a 1979 appearance by Chicago shock-jock Steve Dahl, and a 1980 appearance by the rock band, The Plasmatics, during which lead singer Wendy O. Williams blew up a TV in the studio. The explosion disrupted a live broadcast of NBC Nightly News being produced in a studio two floors above. Snyder himself referred to this occurrence on a 1981 followup appearance in which the Plasmatics demolished a car.

Perhaps the most outrageous interview seen on Snyder's show occurred on Halloween 1979, when the rock band KISS appeared to promote their album, Dynasty. During that 25-minute "interview", the conversation degenerated into a somewhat chaotic exchange between Snyder and a very drunk Ace Frehley, who picked up a teddy bear left behind by another guest, put the armbands from his costume on the bear, and laughed, "the only Spacebear in captivity! I've got him — he's captured!". When Snyder asked Ace if his costume was that of some sort of spaceman, Frehley quipped, "Actually I'm a plumber." Snyder shot back, "If that's the case then I've got some pipe you can work on backstage." The inebriated Frehley clapped his hands and cackled hysterically at the exchange. Years later, Gene Simmons revealed on his website that he felt "betrayed" by the other band members during this interview. Shortly thereafter, the band broke up. Following the break up, Snyder was the very first to have a member of the band — former drummer Peter Criss — appear without makeup in public.

Meanwhile, Letterman had moved on to CBS and was given control of creating a new program to follow his at 12:35 am. Letterman, who had idolized Snyder for years — hired Snyder in 1995 as host of The Late Late Show. The idea had actually begun as a running joke on Letterman's show, that Snyder would soon follow him on the air as he had once followed Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show; the unlikely suggestion caught on. This show aired live on the East Coast and was simulcast to other time zones on radio to allow everyone a chance to call in. Snyder's CNBC show was taken over, largely unchanged in format, by Charles Grodin. One of the many memorable Late Late Show interviews was with Gloria Steinem about the suicide of her son, told dramatically over an entire hour. Another was a lengthy interview with Robert Blake very soon before Blake was charged for murder. In 1999 Snyder left The Late Late Show, which was then reformatted for Craig Kilborn. It has since been turned over to Scottish comedian Craig Ferguson.

An Icon has been lost....

My grandfather, Harvey.

He was like a father to me. He died two years ago August 6th, and strangely I cried about it tonight.

Phil Rizzuto

People have remained judgmental about his broadcast career (I was a fan) and his ballplaying career but everyone who has ever known him knew him as a great guy. He had no scandals, no controversies... he simply was a nice guy.

I am 32 and started following the Yankees when my Dad woke me up one night in 1978 to watch the World Series. I was three years old and it remains one of my earliest memories.

I grew up with Rizzotto calling the games and later found out about him as a player.

I honestly was a little choked up when they were talking to Yogi Berra (They have always been close) the other day... and Yogi said "He was the godfather of my kids, he was a great teammate and great player... Yogi's eyes turned red and he paused and said... he was my friend."

Rizzuto was the American Dream... all his live he was told "You will never do this or that..." He persevered through anything and was relentless in his pursuit of his dream. They said he would never play baseball because he was too short. Casey Stengel himself told him to get out of his sight he should shine shoes instead. Rizzuto kept at it and was eventually signed by the Yankees. He became an impact player. When he stopped playing ball they said he would never succeed as a broadcaster. Rizzuto love him or hate him became one of the most famous broadcasters in baseball history.

Phil Rizzuto was a classy guy and a lovable personality that I will always associate with my love of Baseball.

Phil Rizzuto

People have remained judgmental about his broadcast career (I was a fan) and his ballplaying career but everyone who has ever known him knew him as a great guy. He had no scandals, no controversies... he simply was a nice guy.

I am 32 and started following the Yankees when my Dad woke me up one night in 1978 to watch the World Series. I was three years old and it remains one of my earliest memories.

I grew up with Rizzotto calling the games and later found out about him as a player.

I honestly was a little choked up when they were talking to Yogi Berra (They have always been close) the other day... and Yogi said "He was the godfather of my kids, he was a great teammate and great player... Yogi's eyes turned red and he paused and said... he was my friend."

Rizzuto was the American Dream... all his live he was told "You will never do this or that..." He persevered through anything and was relentless in his pursuit of his dream. They said he would never play baseball because he was too short. Casey Stengel himself told him to get out of his sight he should shine shoes instead. Rizzuto kept at it and was eventually signed by the Yankees. He became an impact player. When he stopped playing ball they said he would never succeed as a broadcaster. Rizzuto love him or hate him became one of the most famous broadcasters in baseball history.

Phil Rizzuto was a classy guy and a lovable personality that I will always associate with my love of Baseball.

He looks like a very nice man in your sig. :)

me dad [1932-1999]

book of fame
Rinus Michels; soccer player, but got more famous being a coach, won
with Ajax, Barcelona and the Dutch Team [EC,1988] many championchips

and ofcours Dutch famous painter;
Rembrand
van Gogh
Mondriaan

Luciano Pavarotti

Modena October 12, 1935 – Modena September 6, 2007

pav1.jpg

Jane Tomlinson :(

I would be remiss if I failed to mention Antonio Puerta.
Puerta.jpg

I was never a Sevilla fan, but I am now.

Last edited:
The late Chaswe Nsofwa also bears mentioning.
Nsofwa.jpg

The Zambian international was nowhere near as well known, likely making him the answer to a maudlin trivia question like, "who was the other footballer that passed on the same day as Antonio Puerta," but he was considered to be a rising star by those back in Africa. He, too, will be missed.

very nice choice Amy I forgot to place her before Luciano.
Very brave and inspiring woman indeed.

Yeah, she came from my hometown as well, very sadly missed lady.

Luciano Pavarotti

Modena October 12, 1935 – Modena September 6, 2007

pav1.jpg

I can't even say how sad this death made me... I've been on the edge of tears several times in the day and well... I just can't understand why people like him has to die before time, of an illness so terrible as cancer.

It's just not fair... He couldn't make it for his last show in Chile and many other countries last year, just for his health problems...

Who said this monster world is fair...

P.S: The warroom... Are you a Colombian? I wonder because of your Higuita avatar :)

i dont know if anyone has posted anything about their pets dying here... but im copying my post from the "post what youre thinking" thread because its more appropriate here...
last night all my three rabbits, who we liberated from a gruesome pet store 2 years ago, and who have been living happily, freely, and cozily in my big yard for a year now, somehow got eaten last night by either a coyote or owl, or both :( im collecting the fur and remains that i can find around the perimeter of the house and burying them today...

R I P Peter, Jack, and Rob

:( Sorry, vAndreav, that's very sad.

last night all my three rabbits, who we liberated from a gruesome pet store 2 years ago, and who have been living happily, freely, and cozily in my big yard for a year now

Sorry about your loss but you gave them a great last two years filled with love and care:remember that.

Back
Top Bottom