Article: "The Very Best of Morrissey" with Bonus DVD; "Glamorous Glue" single with previously unrele

From true-to-you:

The Very Best Of Morrissey with bonus DVD to be released 25th April; Glamorous Glue single with previously unreleased songs

22 February 2011

EMI presents:

The Very Best Of Morrissey

With Bonus DVD

Release date: 25th April

And

'Glamorous Glue' Single

- All Formats Featuring Previously Unreleased Songs -

Following the 20th anniversary release last year of Bona Drag, EMI are pleased to announce, with Morrissey's full co-operation, the release through the Major Minor label of The Very Best Of, and limited edition 'Glamorous Glue' seven inches and an ECD featuring two never-heard-before B-sides.

The Very Best Of Morrissey is an 18-song compilation, encompassing a diverse selection of material from Morrissey's HMV and Parlophone albums, ranging from his early run of successful singles, through selected album tracks – 'Glamorous Glue', 'Break Up The Family' – to B-sides, such as November Spawned A Monster's 'Girl Least Likely To'. Additionally, it also includes the US mix of 'Tomorrow' and US single version of 'My Love Life', his sublime, extended (9:39 minutes) interpretation of Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini's 'Moonriver', and a never-heard-before solo version of 'Interlude' (originally released as a duet with Siouxsie Sioux).

The bonus DVD will feature 11 promo videos, three of which – 'Boxers', 'The More You Ignore Me...', and 'Sunny' - are previously unavailable on DVD outside of the US, and the rarely seen, mesmerising live performance of 'I've Changed My Plea To Guilty' from the Jonathan Ross Show.

The week before the album's release, a limited edition 7" in a picture sleeve, a limited edition 7" picture disc, and an ECD single of 'Glamorous Glue' will be released, both b/w two never-heard-before Morrissey songs – 'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' (7 inches) and 'Treat Me Like A Human Being' (ECD) – taken from the Viva Hate album sessions.

Directing the artwork for the album and single, Morrissey has chosen a selection of very rare – in some instances, previously unseen – stunning photos from Jake Walters, Kevin Cummins, Linder Sterling, Perou and Renaud Monfourny to adorn the sleeves, booklet and poster bag.

The album will be available on CD and vinyl. The LP version will be a double, heavyweight 180g vinyl, housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a pull-out poster. The CD will be housed in a gatefold, card sleeve.

The first seven inch single will come in a double-sided picture sleeve with the orange Major Minor labels on the disc. The picture disc will be clear plastic with a photo each side.

The Very Best Of Morrissey tracklisting:

1. The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
2. You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
3. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
4. Glamorous Glue
5. Girl Least Likely To
6. Suedehead
7. Tomorrow (US remix radio edit)
8. Boxers
9. My Love Life (US mix)
10. Break Up The Family
11. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
12. Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
13. Ouija Board, Ouija Board
14. Interesting Drug
15. November Spawned A Monster
16. Everyday Is Like Sunday
17. Interlude (Morrissey solo version)*
18. Moonriver (extended 9:39 version)

*Previously unreleased

Bonus DVD:
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Glamorous Glue
Suedehead
Tomorrow
Boxers
My Love Life
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty (live, Jonathan Ross Show)*
Interesting Drug
November Spawned A Monster
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Sunny

*Previously unavailable on DVD

Last edited by a moderator:
bit sad about the songs who were also on remastered 2010 Bona Drag
[or on his best of the last 3 years]

suedehead/sunday/november/drug/playboys

favourits;
boxers//girl least likely/break family//guilty plea/such a little thing big difference/ouija/

more kill uncle would have suited, and instead of all of us, who seen the video's
on Bonus DVD over 100 times, exept ' plea guilty'

live versions of these songs, would made a more a ' want it'

just my 2 eurocnts

Last edited:
"and the rarely seen, mesmerising live performance of 'I've Changed My Plea To Guilty' from the Jonathan Ross Show."

"rarely seen", if you don't have You Tube?

First person to quote 'Paint a Vulgar picture' gets stabbed in the eye with one of my many tacky badges. :ha-no:

That being said, Enough with the best ofs... Enough.
I mean, is it something that the new label is requiring, or what?
It boggles the mind.

If only this did come with a free badge, then it might be worth buying.

I look forward to this release.

Could easily have done without the extended Moonriver.

This is definitely a strange selection, one certainly does get the feeling this was compiled "with Morrissey's full co-operation".

Re: Article: "The Very Best of Morrissey" with Bonus DVD; "Glamorous Glue" single wit

bit sad about the songs who were also on remastered 2010 Bona Drag
[or on his best of the last 3 years]

suedehead/sunday/november/drug/playboys

boxers//girl least likely/break family//guilty plea/such a little thing big difference/ouija/

more kill uncle would have suited, and instead of all of us, who seen the video's
on Bonus DVD over 100 times, exept ' plea guilty'

live versions of these songs, would made a more a ' want it'

just my 2 eurocnts

If only his minions looked at this website and reported back to him what his fans would like him to release. He could then make a more informed judgement call, imho.

Having said that, the bonus dvd sold it for me, you can't get enough good quality(hopefully) visual of Morrissey.

Apparently random song selection - nothing from Vauxhall & I - his best album in many people's books, and yet Ouija Board, Ouija Board and Interesting Drug, two of the worst from the early years.

I know it's just EMI stuff but then it shouldn't be called 'The Very Best Of'.

If you're new to Morrissey how would you know which is the Best Of, Greatest Hits, etc? I think you'd come away thinking he could do better.

I agree with the person who said let the fans choose a real Best Of. That way there would never be one released as we'd all be arguing for years.

It will be good to hear "Safe, Warm Lancashire Home" and "Treat Me Like A Human Being" I have never heard of the latter.

"photos from Jake Walters, Kevin Cummins, Linder Sterling, Perou and Renaud Monfourny toadorn the sleeves, booklet and poster bag.

I wonder what a poster bag is?

Suedehead - The Best Of Morrissey (1995)
¡The Best Of! (2001)
Greatest Hits (2008)
The Very Best Of (2011)

Only '¡The Best Of!' was worthy of the name, covering all the major bases and a few fan favourites (the problem with it now, is, of course, that it doesn't cover anything from Quarry onwards). The rest have been inadequate to greater or lesser extents. This latest one is just a joke, a curio, the tracklisting bordering on the bizarre... the sound of a barrel being scraped is loud and clear.

Re: Article: "The Very Best of Morrissey" with Bonus DVD; "Glamorous Glue" single wit

It will be good to hear "Safe, Warm Lancashire Home" and "Treat Me Like A Human Being" I have never heard of the latter.

"photos from Jake Walters, Kevin Cummins, Linder Sterling, Perou and Renaud Monfourny toadorn the sleeves, booklet and poster bag.

I wonder what a poster bag is?
I too had never even heard of "Treat Me Like A Human Being". Perhaps it previously went under an alternate (known) title, and Morrissey's just decided to give it a new name. It's supposedly from the 'Viva Hate' era. I don't recall any reference to it in that 1987 production notebook that Stephen Street scanned online a couple of years ago.

A 'poster bag' is just a folded up poster slipped inside the wide-spine LP next to the discs, just like the poster that came with 'Bona Drag' (Redux) last year.

Last edited:

I too had never even heard of "Treat Me Like A Human Being". Perhaps it previously went under an alternate (known) title, and Morrissey's just decided to give it a new name. It's supposedly from the 'Viva Hate' era. I don't recall any reference to it in that 1987 production notebook that Stephen Street scanned online a couple of years ago.

A 'poster bag' is just a folded up poster slipped inside the gatefold LP next to the disc, just like the poster that came with 'Bona Drag' (Redux) last year.

It is in that workbook - see here -
2dtby9c.jpg
. Seems to my untrained eye that the only song from that workbook not to emerge is I Don't Want Us To Finish.

As for Safe Warm Lancashire Home, I recall an interview with Andrew Paresi where he said he laid down some tasty drum tracks, but when Morrissey heard it, he said that it wasn't right, and if I recall, that it felt like "...an Arran sweater". I thought for that reason it had not been finished. Hey ho.

P.

Apparently random song selection - nothing from Vauxhall & I - his best album in many people's books, and yet Ouija Board, Ouija Board and Interesting Drug, two of the worst from the early years.

I know it's just EMI stuff but then it shouldn't be called 'The Very Best Of'.

If you're new to Morrissey how would you know which is the Best Of, Greatest Hits, etc? I think you'd come away thinking he could do better.

I agree with the person who said let the fans choose a real Best Of. That way there would never be one released as we'd all be arguing for years.

ha ha ha!!

Really no point. Three unreleased tracks with some unseen photos.

What happened to this stand? He must be getting his royalties now.

From http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_090808_01

Morrissey would like it to be known that he has not been consulted by EMI/HMV/Parlophone with regards to two forthcoming boxed sets of Morrissey singles. Morrissey does not approve such releases and would ask people not to bother buying them. Morrissey receives no royalty payments from EMI for any back catalogue, and has not received a royalty from EMI since 1992. Morrissey also does not approve of, and was not consulted on, the Rhino box of Smiths CDs, or the Warner releases of Smiths LPs on 180 gramme vinyl. Morrissey last received a royalty payment from Warners ten years ago, and, once again, he would ask people not to bother buying the reissued LPs or CDs.

The tracklisting is definitely better than Greatest Hits! Most looking forward to the new artwork and Glamorous Glue B-Sides. Really hope Moz does a tour to support the release, as long as he's feeling fit and healthy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom