"A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths" by Tony Fletcher (Sep. 6, 2012)

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2012 (read-only)' started by MORRIZSEY, Jul 27, 2012.

By MORRIZSEY on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM
  1. MORRIZSEY

MORRIZSEY Wrong species

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey
      Thesmithsmorrissey
      Re: A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths

bitchin'!

More reading material time-filler while we wait for the Moz-gospel to drop in December
    2. Thesmithsmorrissey
      Thesmithsmorrissey

judging by the top two links you posted, this actually looks like it will be worthwhile.

Fletcher sounds like he really cares about the band's legacy and wants to compete with Rogan's SA bio. Should be a treat to read Rogan's updated version of SA and then dive into this one soon after

followed by Mozzer's story in his own words later this year, of course.
    3. Anonymous
      Anonymous

As someone who knows Tony Fletcher very well I can absolutely vouch for his chops as an author. I strongly encourage fans to read his other works (Moon, Hedonism, and All Hopped Up especially) and I look forward to reading this one...Tony has worked really hard on it. I know that he had some really good conversations with both Johnny and Andy while researching it. He put in a lot of time and he is a fan as well. I think it's gonna blow the doors off the Rogan book...if you can call that a book...
    4. myboyracer
      myboyracer

Can't wait for this book to be available. Cheers!

mbr.
    5. WhalleyRange
      WhalleyRange

His book about the Bunnymen was very good.
    6. Skylarker
      Skylarker

How does personally knowing a writer give you an extra ability to "vouch for his chops" as an author?
    7. Worm
      Worm

Agreed.
    8. Dead Girl
      Dead Girl
      Re: Article: "A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths" by Tony F

I am actually looking forward to reading this. I will attempt to read anything about Moz and would only leave a book about him and The Smiths unfinished if it was the most dreadful, pathetic and unreadable crap ever written. Hopefully it is worth the paper it is typed out on. Guess I shall have to wait and see...
    9. Anonymous
      Anonymous
    10. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Re: Article: "A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths" by Tony F

Sorry, that should have said Tony Fletcher interviewing Morrissey in 1984!
    11. !Viva Hate!
      !Viva Hate!

It isn't happening this year...
    12. silentandgrey
      silentandgrey

He also wrote the first real bio of R.E.M. and it was very well done.
    13. Anonymous
      Anonymous

His biography of Kieth Moon is THE biography of Kieth Moon...his novel Hedonism about the nineties Limelight NYC club scene is fantastic, and his recent historical review of the NYC musical history called All Hopped Up is stunning...can't wait.
    14. Guernie
      Guernie
      With the reviews of the author from the people above this book may be worth a buy. I'm sort of with you Dead Girl . Read all I can find if it is not an attack or hatchet job !!!!
    15. Dead Girl
      Dead Girl

He wrote a book about Limelight in the 90's? I need to check that out. I used to go there religiously during that period. What memories. I doubt there will ever be anything like that again. Hedonism doesn't even begin to describe it. Anyway, I'm rambling and this has absolutely nothing to do with Morrissey.
    16. Thesmithsmorrissey
      Thesmithsmorrissey

proof, please.
    17. MORRIZSEY
      MORRIZSEY

He mentioned it in a recent interview, so I'm not holding my breath :)

Q. The one thing I am very excited about these days is your autobiography. Oscar Wilde once said, “A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction.” How much did you reveal about yourself in your book?

A. I'm very proud. I won't be hurried. I don't want it published this year. It's very dramatic and action-packed, and those who criticize everything I do with untiring hatred have probably already written their malevolent reviews. Oh, you know the drill.

http://zulalmuzik.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/morrissey-you-saved-my-life.html
      14 July 2012​
    18. Thesmithsmorrissey
      Thesmithsmorrissey
      Fair enough, I'll wait. He implies it's finished, and that's enough

for now.
    19. Kewpie
      Kewpie

The thread exists, so I merge with the original one.